12-year-old rescued from drug-abused family

Thaivisa News

UdonThani :– Police and social workers have taken custody of a 12-year-old girl after a school’s tip off that she faces high risk for drug abuse and sexual molestation by her family members.

A team of policemen from the Anti-Human Trafficking Division and UdonThani social workers intervened to place the girl on the state’s shelter.

The team took the girl from a lean-to shelter located behind the temporary compound of sugar cane-cutting workers at Wang Sam Mo district.

The lean-to had plastic sheet as roof and two old beddings, one shared by the girl’s parents and another she shared with her step brother, 22.

There was an outhouse constructed from corrugated sheets. There was no electricity and water supplies.

The authorities found equipment for illegal drug use littered on both beddings.

The brother, Anocha, was present when the authorities arrived.

He said the land for the lean-to used to belong to his grandmother who raised him and the girl.

His mother and step father made occasional visit. The grandmother subsequently put up the house as collateral for 50, 000 baht loan.

After the grandmother’s death, the parents sold the house and moved into the lean-to.

The parents have been absent for the past few days without telling their children.

The girl is a Grade 5 student at a Wang Sam Mo school where she receives free education, free uniforms and textbooks and free lunch.

The parents have no permanent job. And the brother is unemployed after quitting work at a rice mill. The three have the police records for drug abuse.

And this is your educated opinion I take it

Whilst stated somewhat tongue in cheek, after living in Thailand full-time for 12 years, and having 'experienced' 2 different Isaan wives, their families and village communities, I'd say that I'm not too far off the truth.

IN fact Simon, you are spot on with that statement.

• Like 2

Whilst stated somewhat tongue in cheek, after living in Thailand full-time for 12 years, and having 'experienced' 2 different Isaan wives, their families and village communities, I'd say that I'm not too far off the truth.

So you have experience, with drug users and sexual deviants.

So you have experience, with drug users and sexual deviants.

I suggest you do a bit of a search of Simon's posting history on this forum, he wears his heart on his sleeve. He speaks with the experience that is gained at the expense of body, soul and wallet.

• Like 2

Having followed many of your postings since I joined TV about 6 years ago, I'd say you're pretty well qualified enough in LOS (and caring enough) to make that kind of (admittedly broad brushed) statement.

Edit to add: Poor kids, what a way to start life ... sad.png

Edited by BusyB

I know more than 2 Issarn families who are not like that so I believe you are a long way from reality, but hey, I have only been here 11 years.

Perhaps it depends on where one has experience of the large area known as Issarn?

Edited by jacko45k
  • Like 1

I know more than 2 Issarn families who are not like that..

Excellent, At least there are 2 families. If we search hard, we can probably find a few more.

Back on topic. It sounds like good news that this girl has been removed from her family environment, but there are many more young kids who no doubt, live in a similar, dangerous family situation, but who are invisible to the relevant authorities.

Kudos to the authorities for acting in this case.

I know more than 2 Issarn families who are not like that so I believe you are a long way from reality, but hey, I have only been here 11 years.

Perhaps it depends on where one has experience of the large area known as Issarn?

I hope you are not disparaging his research. He has a sample size of 2, and is reputed to possess finely tuned judgement. Your experience of 11 years is noted, but clearly is outweighed by his 12. Also, you seem to be suffering some problems managing your data, since you have in excess of 2 outliers showing unexplained deviation from the established trend. I'm not sure how you got into so much trouble with your sampling, since the population of Isan is comparable with that of Australia—you should have encountered little difficulty in finding 2 or more incestuous, drug addicted families in Isan, and thus extrapolating to write off large numbers of entire villages. The science is in: if Isan were cleared of drug-fueled incest, there would be many villages with no people left.

Best thing to do in your case is simply to accept the evidence.

Oops, I hadn't realised how severely off-topic I was. I hereby preemptively accept the forthcoming correction.

Edited by aboctok

my wife's issan family are also not involved in drug abuse or sexual abuse. so there are three families now

Make that 4 with mine. And the hundreds i personally know who do NOT have any sexual abuse problems. Druggies, sure, but still a very small percentage, and not only in the NE.