Apple Recalls 1.8 Million Batteries

Tywais

Apple Computer is recalling 1.8 million batteries that use Sony's battery cell technology, it announced Thursday.

The Mac maker's recall, while not as large as Dell's historic recall last week, affects users of its iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 laptop models sold between October 2003 and August 2006, according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Users are advised to remove the batteries immediately and store them in a safe place.

zdnet

Apple Computer is recalling 1.8 million batteries that use Sony's battery cell technology, it announced Thursday.

The Mac maker's recall, while not as large as Dell's historic recall last week, affects users of its iBook G4 and PowerBook G4 laptop models sold between October 2003 and August 2006, according to the Consumer Products Safety Commission. Users are advised to remove the batteries immediately and store them in a safe place.

zdnet

So Apple beat Dell..... didn't even need to go to penalties.

C'mon Apple

C'mon Apple

C'mon Apple

This is the sort of stuff that gets reported on a regular basis..... cars get recalled, TV's get recalled, fridges get recalled. vacuum cleaners get recalled... one day my teeth will get recalled.

So what, they want to recall a few devices that have been manufactured over nearly a three year period.... Apple have the serial numbers for all registered products (if it isn't registered..... tough) ...... posting it on this forum is of little help, apart from the usual PC rant when any little snippet from the Apple World indicates that all things are not ticketyboo ...... " Verily thou shall chant ner ner ner ner...... God bless Bill"

Is this breaking news.... or do you only subscribe to Fox :o

Edited by Thaddeus

Is this breaking news.... or do you only subscribe to Fox :o

It was posted due to it being a potential physical hazard and as a TV public service announcement. If some members find the information useful then it has served it's purpose. Never watched Fox in my life. :D

I wonder if any other manufacturers used these batteries.

My HP notebook is only 4 months old................ :o

"Fujitsu and other Japanese computer makers said on Thursday that no recall of batteries made by Sony was necessary as their computers were designed to avoid overheating.

"We have determined that there is no possibility that any battery trouble could cause smoking or fire in our notebook computers," said a Fujitsu spokesman. "Most Japanese makers don't allow high voltage to flow from their AC adapters to the computer battery, out of safety concerns."

Fujitsu statement follows Dell's announcement that it would recall 4.1 million lithium-ion batteries, saying batteries made by Sony could smoke and catch fire.

Fujitsu, Toshiba and Hewlett-Packard use Sony lithium-ion battery packs but the batteries used are different from those shipped to Dell, the companies said. "

The Washington Post reports,

In an incident last month, Thomas Forqueran, 62, of Arizona, was loading his truck and smelled smoke. Flames were shooting out of his Dell Inspiron laptop, which he had placed on the passenger side of the vehicle, and spread as the fire ignited ammunition that was also in the truck. The truck, a 1966 Ford F-250 passed down from his father, was destroyed by fire.

"I see Dell commercials half a dozen times a night, saying 'What can we build for you today?' " Forqueran said. "And I say, 'Grandpa's truck.' "

:o

Man, it's just an informational news post, along the likes of what George (a mod) posts all the time. Why must it be misconstrued as an attack at Apple, or another Mac vs PC flame? The post says it affects Dells, too, OK?

Take it easy folks, not everyone's out to get your Mac, and you shouldn't just turn your flaming on just because of a news post.