where is best place to buy gold, silver and platinum coins?

I am looking to buy gold/silver and platinum coins (or bars/bullions). where are the best places to buy them?

also, I am unfamiliar with baht weight system what is it? and what is the quality of gold/silver/platinum sold in Thailand?

I am also looking for ease of sale in Thailand and perhaps elsewhere.

Thanks in advance

• Like 1

Do your homework on the internet...just google buying gold and silver...listen to some of the podcasts...

Gold should be .999 pure...not the .996 as the Thais will sell you the lesser valued gold at the going price for the better quality...the purity is stamped on legitimate gold pieces...bars and coins...

Some questions you should ask yourself:

Where am I going to store my Precious Metals?...if you keep them at home and tell ANYONE...they will mysteriously disappear...so you have been warned...

Silver is a good buy...but you will end up with a large volume of metals if you buy a large dollar amount...vs...gold is much more expensive...but does not require too much space to store...it takes over 70 pieces of 1 oz silver to equal 1 oz of gold...

I do not know about shipping gold/silver to Thailand...but I do know that some on-line gold dealers will store your PMs in a vault for a nominal fee...and buy your PMs back from you...

Go to Kitco.com and download their Kcast app to your computer or smart phone as you can see the immediate price of PMs at anytime day or night...

When you buy PMs you will pay a premium...cost above the quoted cost...as the vendor has to make a profit to handle the deal...when you sell...you will pay a premium again so that the vendor makes a profit on your transaction...

PMs (Precious Metals) are not a get rich scheme...although one could profit handsomely someday as the world's economies are going to hell and fiat currencies may be deemed worthless one day...in which case gold/silver prices will go thru the roof...

PMs are best at preserving your wealth...they do not loose value over time as does paper money...

I am a believer in PMs...not a salesperson or advisor...

Good Luck

Edited by ggt
  • Like 2

Do your homework on the internet...just google buying gold and silver...listen to some of the podcasts...

Gold should be .999 pure...not the .996 as the Thais will sell you the lesser valued gold at the going price for the better quality...the purity is stamped on legitimate gold pieces...bars and coins...

Some questions you should ask yourself:

Where am I going to store my Precious Metals?...if you keep them at home and tell ANYONE...they will mysteriously disappear...so you have been warned...

Silver is a good buy...but you will end up with a large volume of metals if you buy a large dollar amount...vs...gold is much more expensive...but does not require too much space to store...it takes over 70 pieces of 1 oz silver to equal 1 oz of gold...

I do not know about shipping gold/silver to Thailand...but I do know that some on-line gold dealers will store your PMs in a vault for a nominal fee...and buy your PMs back from you...

Go to Kitco.com and download their Kcast app to your computer or smart phone as you can see the immediate price of PMs at anytime day or night...

When you buy PMs you will pay a premium...cost above the quoted cost...as the vendor has to make a profit to handle the deal...when you sell...you will pay a premium again so that the vendor makes a profit on your transaction...

PMs (Precious Metals) are not a get rich scheme...although one could profit handsomely someday as the world's economies are going to hell and fiat currencies may be deemed worthless one day...in which case gold/silver prices will go thru the roof...

PMs are best at preserving your wealth...they do not loose value over time as does paper money...

I am a believer in PMs...not a salesperson or advisor...

Good Luck

"Gold should be .999 pure...not the .996 as the Thais will sell you the lesser valued gold at the going price for the better quality...the purity is stamped on legitimate gold pieces...bars and coins..."

All the gold bars I've bought in Thailand are clearly marked & honestly bought & sold at legitimate prices ... and no decent coin with antique value will have it's purity stamped on it. Coins produced for circulation ( not the modern "collector's" crap) would never be 0.999. It would be too soft. And the surest way to ensure honest value in coins is for them to be certified either by PCGS or NGC.

Gold trade in Thailand depends on it being an honest, self-regulated market and for the most part it is. All the farang-based hysteria above is just racist nonsense.

"they do not loose [sic] value over time as does paper money..."

There have been times when gold has been an excellent "investment" but it can very definitely lose value over periods of time and seldom outpaces other investments in purchasing power. And as the recent cases of price fixing fraud exposed at the London Metals Exchange have shown, price manipulation can effect the value of your holding.

Edited by Suradit69
  • Like 2

i would recommend bars from a reputable dealer. coins are a money maker for whoever minted them. check out the weight of gold and silver coins and relate that to the price/weight. premiums can range into 100's %.

of course some rare coins are an exemption.

if you do buy bars, be very careful, since the slightest nick or scratch will downgrade the price.

in my humble opinion

Why would a nick or scratch on a gold bar devalue it? Im confused??

If you're interested in coins that also have some numismatic value, Eurseree in Bangkok has auctions 3 or 4 times a year. The next is 21st March. I've been dealing them for years. Totally reliable. Gold and silver coins definitely, less frequently they might have platinum.

http://www.eurseree.com/

Click on the link, then the auction catalogue link mid-page on the left and then the drop-down box for "category" to find coins. [see example click on the thumbnail photo at the bottom of this page] They sell gold coins from different countries depending on what's been put up for auction. Mainly Thai and other Asian countries, but sometimes Canadian, South African, etc

Otherwise if you're in Bangkok there are plenty of gold shops, especially in China Town area. Doubt they do much business in silver or platinum, mostly gold jewelry. or bars. Plenty of gold shops in most cities. They will buy back gold that they have sold or with some verification of where it was purchased. I have bought and sold bars in the one baht to five baht weight range at different shops in Pattaya and Bangkok without any problems. All base their prices on the quotes show in the link below, plus or minus a small commission. Most would not be especially interested in coins or any gold below 23 carat.

Gold prices set at least twice daily and reported here: http://www.goldpricethai.com/

Thai Gold is famous worldwide for its high purity of 96.5 percent (or 23 carat). Thai Gold is measured in "Baht" and is not to be confused with the same word for Thailand's Currency.

Baht is a unit of weight measurement for Gold in Thailand where 1 Baht is equal to 15.244 grams in raw bullion form or 15.16 grams when it sold as jewellery. Thai Gold is also measured in "Salung" which is a smaller unit when compared with Baht, where 1 salung is a quarter baht (0.25 baht) or 3.81 grams.

A purity of 96.5 percent means in 1 Baht of Gold 96.5 percent of it is pure gold while the rest is made of metals such as silver.

Hence, in 1 Baht Gold there is normally 14.71 grams of pure gold which is a little less than half a troy ounce (0.473 ozt). To calculate the weight or price of gold in different units go to Gold Calculator

http://www.goldpricethai.com/facts

I have heard/read else where on line purity less than .999 (99.9%) is classed as jewlery and no duty to pay if moving cross border. How true is that.

Thanks for indepth reply and explaining what the Baht weight is.

thanks everyone for replies.

I have heard/read else where on line purity less than .999 (99.9%) is classed as jewlery and no duty to pay if moving cross border. How true is that.

Thanks for indepth reply and explaining what the Baht weight is.

thanks everyone for replies.

Depends on the borders I suppose. Import/export of small quantities of gold doesn't (usually) attract the interest of Thai customs. In bulk, at least in theory, you would need a licence.

Some currency denominations like the Baht, Pound and Tael originally were weight measures and then used as a measure of payment

silver coins known as "sterlings" were issued in the Saxon kingdoms, 240 of them being minted from a pound of silver... Hence, large payments came to be reckoned in "pounds of sterlings," a phrase later shortened...

Encyclopædia Britannica, entry "pound sterling"

Re: some restrictions on import/export of gold.

USA

Gold coins, medals, and bullion may be brought into the U.S. However, under regulations administered by the Office of Foreign Assets Control, such items originating in or brought from, Cuba, Iran, and Sudan* are prohibited entry.

Copies of gold coins are prohibited if not properly marked by the country of issuance. The importationof counterfeit coins is prohibited.

There is no duty on gold coins, medals or bullion but these items must be declared to a Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer. Please note a FinCEN 105form must be completed at the time of entry formonetary instruments over $10,000. This includes currency, ie. gold coins, valued over $10,000. The FINCEN definition of currency: The coin and paper money of the United States or any other country that is (1) designated as legal tender and that (2) circulates and (3) is customarily accepted as a medium of exchange in the country of issuance.

Customs Rules Thailand Import regulations::

Prohibited (without licence):

1. Firearms and ammunition incl. explosive articles and fireworks, drugs of narcotic nature, e.g. heroin.

2. Gold bullion. If no import licence is available, it can be left in Customs bond at the airport of entry to be retrieved on departure.

3. Meat from any country affected by Bovine Spongiform Encephalopathy (BSE) or mad cow and foot-and-mouth diseases, including all EU Member States .

Edited by Suradit69

There have been times when gold has been an excellent "investment" but it can very definitely lose value over periods of time and seldom outpaces other investments in purchasing power. And as the recent cases of price fixing fraud exposed at the London Metals Exchange have shown, price manipulation can effect the value of your holding.

Excellent when it ran from $300/oz up to $1,900/oz. Poor when it ran from $1,900/oz to $1,200/oz.

One should not think of gold as a speculative trade, unless one is an expert in the field. As an investment, one should treat it like any other investment: buy when it is unloved and priced ridiculously low, and sell when it is all the craze and priced ridiculously high.

Otherwise, as others have pointed out, a very good use for gold and silver is as a fiat currency / banking system hedge. For this purpose, it only makes sense if you have physical possession of the metal. So, buy enough to get you through a year or so of expenses, then put it in a well protected safe on your premises.

• Like 1

• 7 months later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 years later...

Always good to have some metal saved.   That said, you should probably look to buy them and store them in countries that have lower crime rates and a real police force.   Depending on the bank or private vault service, you're looking at around $800-$1500 a year to store 25-30 kilograms of whatever you want.  That's enough for most people's rainy day I would think.  Singapore, Taiwan, Japan if you prefer this region.   And of course Switzerland if you want to take a longer trip and want better scenery.