Engineer assures Pattaya business leaders Sukhumvit tunnel won’t flood

toenail

An article in one of the local papers says, "an engineer (won't give his name) from the department (doesn't say if it is the department) building the 837.4 billion baht traffic-bypass under Sukhumvit Rd assured that the 420meter long tunnel will not flood. (I feel re-assured already.) I have lived/ worked in this area for 10 years and unfortunately the city officials may have good intentions there doesn't seem to be any "check & balances" on the quality of workmanship. Yes, there are hundreds of security cameras around the city and Beach Rd, but how many of them work (go to city hall and check the monitors, there are about 8-10 of them on). The pedestrian light crossings along Beach Rd turned out to create traffic jams on weekends (so they are turned off) and during the week some drivers do not stop when the red light is flashing for the foreign tourist to cross Beach Rd safely (a death waiting to happen). Sidewalk maintenance?? --as soon as the loose brick is laid, the beginning of the walkway is already falling apart. The Beach Rd promenade is wider and more user-friendly now, but tearing down the indigenous tree that has a solid, deep root system that kept the shore line from eroding away was ignored and the company (again we do not have the names but all I saw were skinny Cambodians doing the work). The walkway should have never been quickly laid until the retaining walls and the erosion problem had been taken care of. Any reliable experienced "engineer" would have know this, but those in charge ignored the collapsing walls before the new walkway was implemented. The city has flooding problems with all the narrow sloping sois emptying into the main artery of Beach Rd, thus overflow of water running over the new promenade and then eroding away more of the beach and exposing sewer pipes, electrical wires and such... The city's unnamed "engineer" (wonder if this person in charge really has a degree?--can we see which university he attended, his credentials, his name????) is assuring us that the Sukhumvit tunnel will not flood? I'll take his guarantee as soon as he publishes his credentials and name. So far I am not impressed with the city's projects being "out sourced" to some inexperienced, cheap Charlie outfit.

An engineer from the department building the 837.4 billion baht traffic-bypass under Sukhumvit Road assured Pattaya business leaders that the 420-meter-long tunnel would not flood. - See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/#sthash.iHLXJihD.dpu
An engineer from the department building the 837.4 billion baht traffic-bypass under Sukhumvit Road assured Pattaya business leaders that the 420-meter-long tunnel would not flood - See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/#sthash.iHLXJihD.dpuf
An engineer from the department building the 837.4 billion baht traffic-bypass under Sukhumvit Road assured Pattaya business leaders that the 420-meter-long tunnel would not flood - See more at: http://www.pattayamail.com/#sthash.iHLXJihD.dpuf
  • Like 1