Soi Cowboy - Baccara Scam

iaminwa

Went to Soi Cowboy last night and Baccara tried to charge us before we went in - <deleted>?

I have lived here for 10 years, and never seen a GoGo bar try to charge you an entry fee.

It is the quietest peak tourist season I have ever seen in Thailand and Baccara try to charge us...

We told them to shove it and just went to the next bar.

What a scam...

how is it a scam....you want to go in, they want to charge a cover...you pay it or your don't...no scam in that...if you don't want to pay you walk away

maybe they are getting fed up with the cheap charlies going into the place and sitting their all night looking at the girls and only buying a soda water...wink.png

Exactly. Cover charges are crappy,but certainly not a scam.

Not that I go out much these days, but now in Australia I think every club has cover charge.

It usually means its a slow night and not many girls inside.....they got to get something from you before you leave. I always ask just to peak inside before I commit. Baccara is one of my favorites, but I don't ever remember paying to get it.

It's because they apply entry charge to Indian and Arab looking patrons because those 2 are known to buy 1 beer to share between 5 people, and 1 beer is lucky

It usually means its a slow night and not many girls inside.....they got to get something from you before you leave. I always ask just to peak inside before I commit. Baccara is one of my favorites, but I don't ever remember paying to get it.

It's because they apply entry charge to Indian and Arab looking patrons because those 2 are known to buy 1 beer to share between 5 people, and 1 beer is lucky

I was thinking the same thing.

The same sort of double standard exists in Singapore in some bars - Ipanema comes to mind - where some ethnic groups are charged a cover, and others just walk straight in.

Was talking to an African girl in there and she said that she had to pay $50 to...um...work, in there. Not sure if true or not.

I think with Bacarra you actually have to buy a drink before entering? I'm not sure as not been in there for a few years. I wouldn't be surprised if they are charging certain "races" which are well known for sharing everything if they can

Edited by mrtoad

Baccara has operated this policy for about a year now. It's only when it's full (which is most nights as it's by far the most popular bar on Cowboy) and is designed to stop people walking in, walking around without buying a drink and then leaving. It's not an entry charge, you just buy your drink outside and take it in with you.

An annoyance but not a scam.

The same sort of double standard exists in Singapore in some bars - Ipanema comes to mind - where some ethnic groups are charged a cover, and others just walk straight in.

Was talking to an African girl in there and she said that she had to pay $50 to...um...work, in there. Not sure if true or not.

While not fair and general, but well justified and deserved.

Some years ago, half the bar was filled with certain nationalities who took up the space, touched the girls stayed for hours sharing 1 beer between all of them.

In some bars, after drinking half a bottle, they wanted to pay half the price, because they only drink half..

In case of OP, i find it particularly interesting when he says, he lives here and spends 10 000 baht per night.

Surely staff would remember big spender like OP and NOT charge him for drinks knowing he would be spending 10 000.thumbsup.gif

When i am out, i always buy a bottle in my favorite club, all staff know me and even if the place is full, they would move people and give me a table and bottles are only 2000 baht, can not even imagine what they would do if i was spending 10 000biggrin.png

Edited by konying
  • Like 1

I was in Ipanema a few weeks back and there is a cover charge for all, first drink "free" if memory serves it was SGD 25

on the SGD 50 for the "girls" to work could well believe that.

I was in Ipanema a few weeks back and there is a cover charge for all, first drink "free" if memory serves it was SGD 25

on the SGD 50 for the "girls" to work could well believe that.

I was there last month and there were still 2 effective queues...one that goes past the register, one that the Bouncer stands in.

If he knows you or likes the look of you, he steps out of the way and waves you in...

It's actually not a bad bar, with a decent band and the United Nations of girls in there...

• Like 1

That's not a scam.

A scam would be to charge you the entrance fee upon leaving. They were honest and up front.

That's what you get for going to Soi Cowboy. You can't just go to Soi Cowboy and then complain about them trying to get money from you.

"I've been a sexpat for 10 years and you've never charged me!" - Move along sunshine. Show's over.

Edited by EmptyHead
  • Like 1

Japanese and Korean bar so prices for everything too high anyway. I haven't been there in a long time but don't remember ever being charged an entrance fee. Last time I went it was packed with Asians and the ladies were playing them like a fiddle... Hahaha....Suckers !!!

covers typically mean the place sucks.

it means that people dont hang around for whatever reason once inside, or they dont buy anything for some reason.

if theres a band or dj thats different.

Japanese and Korean bar so prices for everything too high anyway. I haven't been there in a long time but don't remember ever being charged an entrance fee. Last time I went it was packed with Asians and the ladies were playing them like a fiddle... Hahaha....Suckers !!!

It's not a cover charge or an entrance fee. Buying a drink is required in every gogo. If Baccara is full, you may have to buy one before you enter. Or don't go in!