First time in the west coast

Inflatable

Hi there,

After 4 trips to Thailand I finally got a chance to go to Phuket and visit the Andaman sea.

I have a couple of questions:

1. I would like to spend some time in Khao Lak (Bang Niang).

Asides from the obvious and expensive option of taking a cab, are there any other options? Something like a minivan service or a shared taxi? Is there a service from the airport (such as the one to the different beaches in Phuket)?

2. The same question, only about AoNang

3. From what I've heard Patong isn't the place for me. I thought about kata/karon/kamala, but I didn't manage to see which one will I like more. Any help regarding those beaches, the differences between them and the population I'm likely to encounter in each of them?

Thanks in advance for any help!

From the airport there is no bus, minivan or shared taxi going to Khao Lak/Bang Niang. Depending on your bargaining skills, a taxi should set you back about 1200 Baht. If you book a hotel in Khao Lak, you might ask them to arrange a taxi for you, with the additional advantage of the driver knowing how to get to the hotel. If you are on a really tight budget, I suggest you leave the small airport on foot, and hail a taxi/tuk tuk passing by on the public road to take you to the highway 5 km away, and wait for a bus there. Ask to be let off at the turnoff for Bang Niang Beach. In case you spend time in Phuket first, just take a bus from Phuket Town bus station which is easily reached from the beaches by bus.

In Khao Lak, most hotels and all travel agencies will be able to book you on a minivan to Ao Nang@450 Baht.

Have fun in the west coast paradises.

Edited by keestha

I personally like Rawai beach but best if you have a motorbike. The beach there is not for swimming but a few kms up the road are beautiful hidden beaches with chairs and food of course. This area is not so heavily populated and has a nice native feel to it.

• Like 1

I personally like Rawai beach but best if you have a motorbike. The beach there is not for swimming but a few kms up the road are beautiful hidden beaches with chairs and food of course. This area is not so heavily populated and has a nice native feel to it.

Except all those "hidden beaches" are well known to the locals who use them to embark and disembark hordes of Chinese and Koreans from their speed-boats.

How can anyone recommend Rawai beach which consists of mud and dead coral at low tide, over a proper swimming beach.

Kata is beautiful, but, can get over-crowded. Karon is 4 km long and never gets packed.

• Like 2

Thank you very much.

As for Rawai, From previous trips I've learned that some of the best beaches in Thailand (such as Ao Manao) are just not accessible to the simple tourist without his own form of transportation (preferably a motorbike). So I tend to stick to the more tourist-friendly places.

As I only have two weeks, is the trip to Khao Lak worth it? I'm not into scuba diving, but I did want to visit the Surin or the Similan islands.

Yes, I think Kao Lak is worth it, but, no more than four, or five days, as it doesn't have as much to see, or do as Phuket. You could get bored.

Depends on what you are interested in. The town of Khao Lak (or it is really a number of separate villages) is nothing special, but the surrounding area has a lot to offer: waterfalls, secluded bays, and for instance the mostly untouristy island of Koh Kaw Khao. And besides that, many tourists don't need to see and do that much, are happy hanging out in a village with a limited number of bars and restaurants, easy to get to know people.

Except all those "hidden beaches" are well known to the locals who use them to embark and disembark hordes of Chinese and Koreans from their speed-boats.

How can anyone recommend Rawai beach which consists of mud and dead coral at low tide, over a proper swimming beach.

Kata is beautiful, but, can get over-crowded. Karon is 4 km long and never gets packed.

I am not so sure you know what you are talking about. I have been to kata and karon and patong and krabi. Rawai is adjacent to some of the best protected beaches for swimming anywhere in the area exceeding the open tides of Kata and Karon and of course the traffic. Yes Rawai is mud with the tides going out but it is also excellent seafood and like I said if you know it there is a prime beach less than 3 km away that many people including you don't know about lol.

Edited by losworld

...........and as I have already told you, those beaches you talk about are busy with speed-boats and their customers. I'm not talking about restaurants, or facilities; just the beaches.

Between the main beach that runs along most of Rawai and the stretch of beach from the pier to the headland, there is only one beach that is accessible by a track and that is Manao beach, which I have already talked about.

There is a tiny beach to the south of Manao beach, but, I suspect you would have to cross private land to get to it.

With Google earth, there is no such thing as a beach you know about that I don't.

Rawai beach Not a swimming beach,

dirty, smelly, trash infested beach area,

One end has a river loaded with sewerage from the local trash truck dump near by,,

The other is the Gypsey seafood viliage, and the middle is taken over by Longtail boats loading and un-loading passengers and re-fueling

Can not ride a bike or push a baby stroller along the beach sidewalk as all the Boat,Taxi, and resturaunts have taken over the sidewalks with advert signs and chair to sit while they working..

The noisy from speeding traffic beach road is loaded with outdoor seafood resturaunts all selling same product mostly BBQ seafood. Some better than the others i guess? but same same..

I do enjoy low tide at Rawai,

You can walk out thru the Tidal pools (about 1km out sometimes)

very nice out near the deep waters edge watching the local catching clams and octopus in the sandy spots out there,

Very peaceful .just beware of the in comming tide.

The gypsy fish market area is fun for a beer or two, pick out your dinner at the fishmarket then eat accross road at the pay by the kilo cooking resturaunts...VERY NICE

Rawai beach for sure worth a look but not a day at the beach kind of place. IMHO

Edited by glassdude007
  • Like 1