Video: The Chinese tourists accused of bad behaviour in Thailand

Jonathan Fairfield

Those examples of foreigners behaving badly in China, wasn't that girl posing nude by a fountain in Thailand , a story on here a few weeks back ?

Looks to me that the picture of people urinating by a bus is in a country that drives on the left while in China it's on the right isn't it ?

Loud noice is sort of accepted in Thailand, take it or leave. I know of very few countries where it is perfectly acceptable to take a sh!t in the street though.

In India i have seen loads of people just sh!tting inbetween cars at the road. If Thailand degrades to that level i'm outta here.

Loud noice is sort of accepted in Thailand, take it or leave. I know of very few countries where it is perfectly acceptable to take a sh!t in the street though.

In India i have seen loads of people just sh!tting inbetween cars at the road. If Thailand degrades to that level i'm outta here.

Well Indians are another bunch Thai people aren't really thrilled about : )

• Like 1

every nationality has them black sheep.

i dun think it's fair to zero in on just one country

have you guys not seen obnoxious and rowdy Americans, africans, russians, eastern europeans, middle eastern and indian people?!

Yes, but hundreds of them in coach convoys acting like no one else exists ?

• Like 2

have you guys not seen obnoxious and rowdy Americans, africans, russians, eastern europeans, middle eastern and indian people?!

it needs some getting used to. most chinese are like this.

if you can't beat them, join them!

it needs some getting used to. most chinese are like this.

if you can't beat them, join them!

Ni, I'd rather beat them...

• Like 2

Almost ran over a fat Chinese girl yesterday, she just walked out into the middle of the busy street. Then she froze like a deer in the headlights when I came around the corner. This was about my tenth close encounter with a Chinese pedestrian. They can piss and defecate on temples etc as much as they want but before anything else please somebody teach them how to behave in traffic.

She froze because to her you are driving in the wrong direction and on the wrong side of road.

I agree with this.

Whilst the behaviour of the Chinese tourists in the video is far from pleasant, I'm sure someone could just as easily make similar videos on the behaviour of British, German, American, Russian, Israeli, Swedish, Dutch or any other nationalities which visit Thailand in large numbers.

Well then you'd be wrong. I've never witnessed hordes of Europeans/Americans push their way through roped off barricades at airports the way the Chinese do. And can you imagine any of the aforementioned flinging hot water at a steward? Or defecating in the corner of a temple?

I might also point out that it is only in those areas where there are a large farang contingent that the Thais have learned some manners and to not queue jump and also to hold doors open for others. Enough of this PC BS. The Chinese are boorish peasants who should stay home until they're up to speed with how to conduct themselves in a civilised manner. Much like the Russians.

The English peasants weren't behaving too well in Paris the other day, shouting racist taunts and pushing some unfortunate black guy off a train on the metro.
One of the three directly involved in the incident is Irish.

Nouveau riche Brits, Americans, Russians.....from anywhere really, are loud, boorish, unsophisticated, and rude. It's not just the Chinese.

But that's not a defense of them defecating on the floor or countless other examples of their rudeness.

I hope the "Queuing is cool" message gets through! I did a border run on the 19th (New years day) and trying to get back into Thailand with the hordes of Chinese and Malay tourists was a nightmare. They literally stampeded the rope barriers down and it was a free-for-all to get to any Immigration window. I ended up putting my manners aside and joined the fray. If I hadn't, I'd still be in Malaysia.

I agree with this.

Whilst the behaviour of the Chinese tourists in the video is far from pleasant, I'm sure someone could just as easily make similar videos on the behaviour of British, German, American, Russian, Israeli, Swedish, Dutch or any other nationalities which visit Thailand in large numbers.

Sorry guys, but it's not just a matter of nouveau riche-ness, there's more to it in China and the behaviour is worse than these other places you list (as bad as NR people from these other countries act). I suggest you actually try travelling there before sounding off; I guarantee you you'll get it. Even Chinese, when candid, admit there's a problem with the 素質 of a large number of their countrymen, which means literally their raw material or character. Why do you think the Hong Kong Chinese call them "locusts?" But I guess you understand China better than the Chinese themselves.

Nouveau riche Brits, Americans, Russians.....from anywhere really, are loud, boorish, unsophisticated, and rude. It's not just the Chinese.

But that's not a defense of them defecating on the floor or countless other examples of their rudeness.

I hope the "Queuing is cool" message gets through! I did a border run on the 19th (New years day) and trying to get back into Thailand with the hordes of Chinese and Malay tourists was a nightmare. They literally stampeded the rope barriers down and it was a free-for-all to get to any Immigration window. I ended up putting my manners aside and joined the fray. If I hadn't, I'd still be in Malaysia.

I agree with this.

Not really, the Chinese are definitely in a class of their own

I agree with this.

True.

Has anyone read "The Ugly Chinaman" by Bo Yang?

There was also "The Ugly American" and others I think?

Well here is my two cents worth I seen with my own eyes in Pattaya a German I assume business owner punch a Thai lady went she by accident hit his unleashed mutt. Then couple minutes later seen his butt being stomped by 7 Thai's Karma is a bitch.

Central Pattaya is world's biggest idiots-magnet where the scum from all nations join together.

Well here is my two cents worth I seen with my own eyes in Pattaya a German I assume business owner punch a Thai lady went she by accident hit his unleashed mutt. Then couple minutes later seen his butt being stomped by 7 Thai's Karma is a bitch.

Sounds like one of those cases where the farang actually deserved a beatings, I can imagine the Thai blokes were taken great pleasure in finally getting rid of all that pent up jealousy

How is that bad karma? A German man defended his pet by "punching" a lady that assaulted it and he was beaten by a large gang of Thai male thugs who happened to be there and saw it as an opportunity to beat up a "falang". Thai men are frequently violent and abusive to women, they attacked the German because they saw an opportunity, not because they were somehow being big brave, chivalrous men. Many Thai women detest Thai men, they aren't with Westerners just because of money, but because they would prefer to be with a decent man rather than a feckless, charmless, unintelligent and cowardly little thug. Edited by paddyjenkins
  • Like 1

Thailand tourism is witnessing what European tourism did 20 or so years ago. Cheap flights and package holidays opening up to more people. This led to lots of Brits invading southern Europe and giving a huge head ache to locals, it's still going on to this day! I bet most Europeans would say Brits are the worst behaved tourists.

And before I get accused of Brit bashing, I am British and constantly embarrassed by the behavior of my 'countrymen'

The current junta is also cosying up more and more to China, so Thailand get used to it.

The difference is you cannot bash brits but they are allowed to bash anyone else. Of course they can bash china tourists who are so much lower down the "pecking order according to farangs".. Double standards eh?

Sounds like one of those cases where the farang actually deserved a beatings, I can imagine the Thai blokes were taken great pleasure in finally getting rid of all that pent up jealousy

How is that bad karma? A German man defended his pet by "punching" a lady that assaulted it and he was beaten by a large gang of Thai male thugs who happened to be there and saw it as an opportunity to beat up a "falang". Thai men are frequently violent and abusive to women, they attacked the German because they saw an opportunity, not because they were somehow being big brave, chivalrous men. Many Thai women detest Thai men, they aren't with Westerners just because of money, but because they would prefer to be with a decent man rather than a feckless, charmless, unintelligent and cowardly little thug.

Go take that stereotype somewhere else. A man punches a woman and you actually defend him?

Let's change the scenerio. A thai man and according to you abuses women punches a german woman cos she went by accident hit his unlease mutt so it's the same story just that this time the man punching the woman happens to be a thai man and the woman that hit his dog is a german woman and she got punched by the thai man. Does this mean he deserves to be beaten up by 7 german men? I would garner you would say yes to that.

It's just how funny you farang can change the standards around and the judgement around not based on the actions of the people involved but who the people that commited them are. According to you a german man should be allowed to hit a thai woman and get away with it and were he to be hit by 7 thai men in retaliation that would be wrong because thai men are abusive to women so they don't have a right to defend a thai woman from a german who i guess isn't abusive despite the fact that he hit a woman. Yet change the races around a thai man hitting a german woman cos of his dog and you would gladly support him being beaten up by 7 german guys.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One day me and my wife were in the skytrain, at Siam a group of 12-15 indians came onboard. No idea what they had been eating or doing but the smell was really unbearable.

I just put my shirt over my nose because i'm not as polite as a Thai but everybody started looking at eachother and moving away from the Indians.

When the Indians left the skytrain the Thai made big fun about them and started all talking to eachother about it. It was really unheard of that humans can smell so bad.

Indians can also be rude and demanding but the Chinese have no limits in that. I lost all respect for them as human beings. If the news spreads that Thailand is loaded with chinese ,russians and indians then sure the Europeans will go elsewhere.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

One day me and my wife were in the skytrain, at Siam a group of 12-15 indians came onboard. No idea what they had been eating or doing but the smell was really unbearable.

I just put my shirt over my nose because i'm not as polite as a Thai but everybody started looking at eachother and moving away from the Indians.

When the Indians left the skytrain the Thai made big fun about them and started all talking to eachother about it. It was really unheard of that humans can smell so bad.

Indians can also be rude and demanding but the Chinese have no limits in that. I lost all respect for them as human beings. If the news spreads that Thailand is loaded with chinese ,russians and indians then sure the Europeans will go elsewhere.

Don't even get your point and don't group british with europeans. That's not how it works when brits are like 2000x more rude than any other european.

Don't even get your point and don't group british with europeans. That's not how it works when brits are like 2000x more rude than any other european.

Nonsense!!

I agree with this.

While I get your point, you are not accurate in your conclusion.

I've been coming to Thailand very regularly for over thirty years ... and residing almost full-time for the past five years. Over the years I've seen many different nationalities of tourists behaving badly ... including Americans, Canadians, Central & South Americans, Aussies, Kiwis, Europeans, and Asians. Those that are drunk are the worst.

However, that being said: In the past five years or so, with the ever-increasing barrage of Chinese nouveau tourists, I have been shocked, dismayed, semi-amused & pissed off by their loud, rude, self-serving, illegal, un-hygenic, behavior. I've traveled all over the world for fifty years and have virtually "seen it all." However, I've never seen such an abundance of rudeness like what I see with Chinese tourists in Thailand and a few other countries ... and in various queues/lines in international airports all over the world.

And this ain't about being racist. The Hong Kong Chinese are also very angry with the mainland Chinese tourists that visit Hong Kong. The HK Chinese have even had street demonstrations against the mainland Chinese tourists. You can't call that racism because both sides are of the same race.

Edited by HerbalEd
  • Like 1

Thailand tourism is witnessing what European tourism did 20 or so years ago. Cheap flights and package holidays opening up to more people. This led to lots of Brits invading southern Europe and giving a huge head ache to locals, it's still going on to this day! I bet most Europeans would say Brits are the worst behaved tourists.

And before I get accused of Brit bashing, I am British and constantly embarrassed by the behavior of my 'countrymen'

The current junta is also cosying up more and more to China, so Thailand get used to it.

You just made the point. When do you ever see Chinese embarrassed by their countrymen's or country behavior. They think China is the shit and I say it's the shits!

So much condemnation and criticisms...hmmmmmmmmmm

Well, what do you expect when over a short period of time millions of "nouveau riche" former farmers and peasants are let loose on the world's tourist sites and playgrounds. They don't know how to behave or a mass group behaviour takes over. It takes time so be patient. You don't have to go to Thailand to find rude foreigners...they are all over the place. Anywhere large groups of a particular ethnicity can gather together tends to create an unpleasant situation. For example, a mass of British football fans, bars full of old fat mostly European men with little girls half their age or younger........Phnom Penh for example and less obvious places in Thailand still......In Tokyo, after the bars close and the salarymen leave to catch the trains home, the streets are full of men pissing against any wall....I suspect a lack of public toilets is endemic in most Asian countries except perhaps Singapore and Malaysia. Ever go to India........even the locals piss and crap in the streets....and tourists also...Me Too! why?.....you'd be hard pressed to find a public toilet and even the ones you do find.....well, it may be cleaner to do it outside in some hidden corner. If you gotta go, you gotta go!

There are local manners and international manners. Those who are used to travelling around and mixing with many different cultures, gradually get more sensitized to local sensibilities and act accordingly. Decades ago, it was the Ugly American and Japanese Sex tourists, not to mention "arrogant" Germans. When I travelled in Europe back in the 70s, I had a German friend and he constatnly remarked how other Europeans avoided Germans. Well, I guess it was the result of the bad reputation gained during WW2. However, him and I were the best of friends and we got along very well. Funny, the people I get along with; Germans and Japanese are in my opinion very polite and civilized, however......history shows otherwise. Are We Humans Chameleons?

The few foreigners who had the chance to visit China after Nixon opened relations......were invariably impressed with the honesty and attitude of people, especially in the countryside. Leave any piece of junk behind in your hotel room and someone would come running after you to return it. People were not overly materialistic and greedy. So, what happened after Capitalism took over China? Millions of spoiled, nouveau riche running around the world. Remember, that many of these are former "spoiled brats", thanks to the one child policy of China, where the one and only was usually SPOILED (they called them "little emperors"). Chinese kids were always taught to be respectful, especially to their elders, well perhaps thats a thing of the past now, and they don't respect anybody...sort of like your average North American kid of the "millenium generation." They also think they "know it all" and behave accordingly. They have become an arrogant generation whose greed knows no bounds...simply because Mommy and Daddy gave them everything. Remember, if you have kids, DO NOT SPOIL THEM!

However, lets be careful not to castigate EVERYONE. Only the undesirables tend to stand out and that, unfortunately marks the rest in the same category. I find most Chinese, especially of the older generation to be full of humility and respect and generally not very argumentative (Westerners are the Most argumentative) ...these are Confucian traits which have guided behaviour for thousands of years. China may now be an economic power or guilty of economic imperialism as they call it in some places........well, its not their fault that America has shifted their manufacturing offshore to China because its cheaper, thereby losing millions of jobs. And now they are massively in debt to China. Are they stupid or what?? Supposedly the most advanced techno society in the world now in debt to a basically overpopulated third world country which was amongst the poorest only 30 years ago??

I see the main problem as being that of overwhelming numbers of Chinese in tourist spots formerly overrun by Westerners or others. Different language, noise level, manners....resulting in "visual pollution." Normally, humans are welcoming and curious about other cultures but only in Small doses. When I visited Morrocco back in the 70s, being the only Asian face within miles, people were curious, friendly, hospitable, and approachable. Free mint tea, even free food and friendly smiling faces greeted me everywhere. I can only imagine if i were part of a tour group and several tour busses arrived at the same time..disgorging several hundred camera toting Chinese or people of any ethnic background, speaking a totally foreign language.....The locals would probably stay away and hide, except for those adept at making money out of tourists. I feel the same in Vancouver, when I visit my favourite park and I see 10 tour busses parked nearby.....doesn't matter if the tourists are of any ethnic group...even Canadians.....I want to turn around and leave...maybe visit when the tourist season is over. Humans like things is Small Doses! They don't like being Overwhelmed. Thailand is getting Greedy....and I can see that prices are rising steadily. I still remember 1 baht coca cola in Bangkok and the 50 baht rooms in the Atlanta Hotel on Sukhomvit...... And yes, there were more smiling faces! Ah, for the Good Old Days...hahahahahaha But I still like Thailand and intend to visit again soon....I just have to stop myself from comparing with 20 or 30 or 40 years ago.....otherwise I would get disappointed.

What I'm saying is that bad manners or boorishness are the most obvious things to notice. Doesn't mean the people are evil or bad...just stupid and silly. People learn by their mistakes eventually. However, I'm always concerned with the "under the radar" types. The ones with really good manners and a great smile which they present to the world..while they do their Dirty business behind your backs. I've got lots of experience with those types and to my detriment. However, thats another story.

Yes, the Russians always get a bad rap........and some of it deserved.......but since I've travelled around the world to umpteen countries..I've seen the good and bad...mostly the Good, in all cultures and races. Nobody has a monopoly on good manners or civilized behaviour and nobody has a monopoly on bad/evil behaviour.

We are ALL capable of the most horrifying acts given the right set of cirumstances. Its just the Human Condition and since we are all Humans......we are definitely fallible...often without even realizing it.

Ifs kind of funny reading about Thailand on this forum...so much negativity and complaints, you would wonder why over 20 million people are visiting yearly or why so many Farangs...mostly Westerners are trying to extend their Thai visa.....Well, despite the "new Laws", Thailand is still a sex tourist destination...for all types of sex tourists..not that I'm saying there is anything wrong for being a sex tourist..unless it involves underage. Seems like a lot of people think that Thailand is/was exclusively their playground and so the new kid on the block....Chinese tourists.......have become the new Ugly American. And someone said that Thais are the rudest people??????? I read that comment a short time ago.........hmmmmmm Maybe some individual Thai was rude...yes, I've experienced that and even been ripped off in an aggressive manner in Bangkok, but I find most Thais to be very welcoming and friendly...at least once you "break the ice with them." I always remind myself, that the biggest con games I ever experienced, which literally destroyed my finances more than once...happened in "civilized Canada", in Vancouver. Instigated by smiling and polite people in expensive suits and ties. So, I don't let myself get too distracted by "rude, boorish, peasant" behaviour nor overly impressed with a "civilized" demeanor. You never really know who the "good" guys are, until you really get into a fix!

Another thing, Thais originally came from what is now called China. Their kingdom called Nanchao existed a thousand years ago and they made their migration from central China to what is now Thailand around the mid 1200s or so when the Mongols conquered the area. They fled well in advance of the Mongols and arrived safely in Thailand. Even Chinese from different dynasties fled to Thailand for refuge and thats why, actually, as they used to say...."scratch a Russian and find a Tartar".......well, "scratch a Thai and find a Chinaman" albeit much watered down by mixing with hill tribes, Burmese, Khmer, Viets etc. So, many of the values are similar and the noise level etc etc....even Thai language is partly Chinese with Pali (ancient Indian language) admixture. Its Called Indochina for that reason, so unfortunately for the China haters, there will always be the annoying Chinese influence in Thailand and Southeast Asia overall. Its not going away any time soon. Anyways, isn't it the chaos of the Orient which makes it attractive to Westerners...tired of the orderly and boring life back home.

When Thailand becomes a modern 1st world country: cold, efficient, orderly and expensive......I can see a lot of you will be looking for another "3rd world destination"....well maybe you have found it in Laos and Cambodia already.........Please, stay away from the Philippines...thats my new hangout and I don't want to see the beaches overrun with people from anywhere! hahahahahah just kidding, I'll be long gone before that happens......