Shimano Ultegra 6800 Tubeless Ready Wheelset

h90

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/shimano/ultegra-6800-tubeless-ready-wheelset-ec053455#answers

or

http://www.km8bicycle.com/store/product/view/%E0%B8%A5%E0%B9%89%E0%B8%AD%E0%B9%80%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%95_SHIMANO_ULTRGRA_6800_11_speed-25900095-th.html

I thought of buying these.

What is your take on these? Good idea, or stupid. Any idea why I shouldn't buy them?

Main reason for the selection was that I have Shimano 600 (and 105) in the past and never had any complain. So if it might not be the best deal on the planet, it has a low risk of being complete wrong.

I thought before to go with rims that allow 20 mm tyres, but after thinking I didn't found any good argument why 20 mm should be better.

16/20 spokes seemed a bit low count, but I am only 65 kg.

I thought of using a 23mm Tyre on it, not looked into details about tyres and didn't understand what this "tubeless" advantages are, yet.

Please comment....

Don't worry about the spoke count, my Giant P-SLR1 wheels have the same count and I come in at 110kg, haven't had any issues. In fact they are stiffer than my new wheelset that has 20/24!

Tubeless is great, as with a tubeless tyre and sealant punctures pretty much go away. You'll only have a problem if you slice open a tyre, and then you have the other advantage of tubeless over tubular.....you can put an inner tube in to get you home.

The only problem in Thailand is getting the tubeless tyres, they are not readily available.

In terms of rim width, wide is the new thin. Research has shown that wider tyres roll faster, so most new wheelsets are designed with 23mm as the thinnest the you can fit. With the roads in Thailand I'd go with 25mm and run lower pressures for comfort.

Don't worry about the spoke count, my Giant P-SLR1 wheels have the same count and I come in at 110kg, haven't had any issues. In fact they are stiffer than my new wheelset that has 20/24!

Tubeless is great, as with a tubeless tyre and sealant punctures pretty much go away. You'll only have a problem if you slice open a tyre, and then you have the other advantage of tubeless over tubular.....you can put an inner tube in to get you home.

The only problem in Thailand is getting the tubeless tyres, they are not readily available.

In terms of rim width, wide is the new thin. Research has shown that wider tyres roll faster, so most new wheelsets are designed with 23mm as the thinnest the you can fit. With the roads in Thailand I'd go with 25mm and run lower pressures for comfort.

Great! If it holds your 110 kg it will hold my 65 kg.....fascinating that such little amount of material can hold so much....

I still have some doubts if about the wider tyres, I read only one test and they tested a wider against a thinner at the same pressure which is nonsense. My guess is, that it most probably doesn't matter much at all....

If I understand it right that rim can hold a 23 and a 25 mm tyre and both are available in Thailand. 20 mm is hard to find so anyway useless if I can't get a tyre...

Streets here are surprisingly good in the area, with only a few exceptions.

Well clearly whoever did that test doesn't understand physics and why it was both stupid and irrelevant to conduct a test using the same pressure but on tyres with different volumes.......

The tubeless setup I run on my Giant wheelset is using 23mm Hutchinson Atom Galatik tyres with slime sealant. Tight to fit, but not had a puncture in over 1000km riding and the tyres a really nice and grippy, even in the wet on greasy Bangkok roads (not something I can say for Vittoria Rubino Pro's). Similar to a Michelin Pro 4 Service Course tyre, but with better durability.

Do I understand it right:

If the rims are broken in say 5 years I won't be able to fit new ones on the hubs as I won't find rims with 16 and 20 holes + no spokes for it?

Which would be a bit sad, because judging from my old Shimano 600 hubs they last forever.....

On the other hand 12000 Baht doesn't brake the bank....

I have a set of Campag Zondas which I am running tubeless. I have only had them for a few months and have probably only done about 3,000kms on them.

you are limited somewhat in terms of tyre choice. i think there are only about 6 choices, and they are difficult to find in stock. I have been running the schwalbe one tubeless in a 25mm. front is holding up fine and has little wear (but starting to see a bit of a flat spot down the middle). I weigh 70kgs.

The first rear died after about 500kms. I got a glass cut over christmas. I noticed the rear starting to bounce while pedaling and pulled over to check it out. there was a 5mm cut down the middle of the tyre and it was leaking sealant. I couldn't get it to reseal properly. I wasn't carrying any spare tubes and was about 5km from home. I managed to ride it home and when I got home it still had 20psi in the tyre. I then put the track pump on it and pumped it up to about 80psi, where it sprayed sealant all over the garage. I was pretty p*ssed off by this stage so I just rotated the tyre around to have the cut on the ground and left it. two days later it still held 60psi and it allowed me to re-inflate to 90psi. But it was bulging at the cut so I thought it was better to get a new tyre. Upshot is, the cut would have been fatal on a standard tyre and with the tubeless I was able to ride it home, where I dont think I would have otherwise.

What I do like about it is you can run the tyres slightly softer as you are not in fear of pinch flats. I run mine at 80 on the front and 90 on the rear. that 20psi, does make quite a difference to comfort. after my puncture I ran a normal tyre and seemed to be able to feel alot more road noise from the extra 20psi I was running.

Weight wise, there is probably a slight saving running tubeless with sealant over tyres and tubes (more so if you are using tyre liners). But the tubeless tyres are a little heavier. Although I no longer carry spare tube, CO2 or tyre levers. so it has saved me a good 400grams there.

I'm happy with the wheels and tyres. The wheels are fast and I like the schwalbe ones. I have run tubeless on my MTB for years so I am a bit of a fan of the tubeless wheels and tyres.

only downside is the initial fitment of the tyres. they are very tight to get the tyre on and you may need a compressor to get them to seat on the rim initially. once they have been on, they tend to stretch a little and you don't break tyre levers getting them off. but you wont get them on or off without tyre levers.

• Like 1