Foreign Cemetery, contact details.

worgeordie

I am looking for contact details for the secretary,or person who is

in charge of the Cemetery,regards purchasing a burial site.

There was an article,either on ThaiVisa or it could have been

CityLife,and it had all the details about the Cemetery,procedures

about how to apply for a plot,etc,I have tried using the search

on here and Google but no luck,I would be grateful if anyone

who has the details could let me know.

regards Worgeordie

Hi

Is this the article you are looking for?

http://www.chiangmaicitynews.com/news.php?id=4812

In the comments under this article they refer to a blog an the cemetery:

http://myfishsauce.blogspot.com/2013/11/veterans-day-september-11-2013-chiang.html

No Sir, not that one, the one I remember had names etc of the committee

members and contact details and requirements necessary to purchase a

plot.

regards Worgeordie

Why does it need to be a foreign cemetery?

The church I attend in Pattaya operates a cemetery and repository for cremation urn. It's intended for people who are members of the denomination, but certainly not restricted to foreigners.

You might check on cemetery arrangements through whatever religious establishment matches your needs ,,, if any. In my case, the burial plot is for 30 years, after which, if the space is needed, whatever is left of me could get the heave-ho, although there are present;y a number of graves over 30 years old.

In 1898 King Rama V granted a plot of land to Chiang Mai's resident Western foreign community. The plot was placed into the care of the resident British Consul. The plot was to be used as a graveyard for foreigners and was granted under two conditions, the plot may never be sold and only foreigners may be buried there.

Why does it need to be a foreign cemetery?

The church I attend in Pattaya operates a cemetery and repository for cremation urn. It's intended for people who are members of the denomination, but certainly not restricted to foreigners.

You might check on cemetery arrangements through whatever religious establishment matches your needs ,,, if any. In my case, the burial plot is for 30 years, after which, if the space is needed, whatever is left of me could get the heave-ho, although there are present;y a number of graves over 30 years old.

In 1898 King Rama V granted a plot of land to Chiang Mai's resident Western foreign community. The plot was placed into the care of the resident British Consul. The plot was to be used as a graveyard for foreigners and was granted under two conditions, the plot may never be sold and only foreigners may be buried there.

Thanks for the link that includes the interesting - and somewhat unsettling - information that "...over a quarter of the burials are 21st century interments..."

Even the cemetery is becoming overcrowded.

The photo of the Queen Victoria statue is the best I've ever seen. I always like to imagine what she looked like in her original location at the old British Consulate among well-tended gardens and fruit trees on the Ping River.

Roy Hudson, in a 1980 preface to R.W.Wood's De Mortuis told how the statue came to Chiang Mai:

"A recent addition to the cemetery has been a monument in memory of Queen Victoria [1819-1901] which stood for many years by the gate of the old British Consulate in Chiang Mai. The monument consists of a bronze statue of Queen Victoria on a square column and plinth. An inscribed marble plaque records that the monument was erected by 'British subjects of every race residing in Northern Siam'. The statue was cast in England and consigned by sea to Bangkok. When it became apparent that the ship would not arrive in time for the statue to be brought up [by river in those days] to Chiang Mai in time for the traditional Christmas meeting of the forest companies, a telegram was dispatched requesting that the statue be offloaded in Rangoon, Burma. From there it was sent by rail up north, and then transported by various means, including elephants and pack mules through the Shan States and over rivers, hills and the border to arrive in Chiang Mai in time for the unveiling ceremony in December 1903. After the British Consulate was closed in 1978, the statue was moved to its new location at the northern apex of the Chiang Mai Foreign Cemetery."

Long may she remain there... I just hope she doesn't get crowded out anytime soon.

I think may be what you are looking for... There is more information in the document attached to one of the posts.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733323-my-ashes-in-the-ping-river/page-2

Thanks Elaine,that's exactly what i was looking for,knew someone on here would be

able to help, thanks

regards Worgeordie

I think may be what you are looking for... There is more information in the document attached to one of the posts.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/733323-my-ashes-in-the-ping-river/page-2

Thanks, Elaine, I was looking for that thread a few weeks ago (remembering the document that was referenced) and couldn't locate it. I really wish the Foreign Cemetery had a website or Facebook page or something where they could post that document of their "rules" and contact details for everyone to see. Well now that Thai Visa as a thread with the title "Foreign Cemetery" it's going to be easier to do a Google search to locate appropriate information in the future.

Edited by NancyL

Nancy L look at the thread you are talking about.The cemetery rules are published in it with a request that Thai Visa Pinned them.they never did.

Perhaps as you seem to have some clout with them you can get them to do it.I will ask their secretary to Email you a copy also for your info.