Visiting to the friend locked in prison

thunder18

OP, are you really man enough? In going to see someone who was sentenced only for a year and above or so you seem so frightened? If his crime was that which if anyone visited him they will check his background then his prison term shouldn't be only one year or so. His should be a minor crime that the background of people visiting him will not be checked. Your attempt at bringing things to him sound as if you have something hidden that you want to give to him. All prisons have visiting hours. Remember that with the many people you may have to spend more hours there waiting. You could be given preferential treatment if you explain that you come from afar which you can prove. I visited an inmate in Amnathjaren and I was allowed to see him in the morning (we had face to face contact in the morning though under supervision) when I arrived the prison before seeing him again during the visiting hour which was through the phone system. I came from Nakhon Si Thammarat in the South of Thailand. Again going to prison to see even the toughest criminal will not require any fear. If your background is clean then any check will reveal nothing and there will no records made on your person. You will explain that you are there on behalf of his family who have delegated you to check on him and give them the feedback. So what is the fear all about? The money you leave will be recorded and you will tell him how much you are leaving there for him. So he will know the amount of money you have given. Anything less, of course he will protest.

Only your photo page is photocopied. Not your visa nor anything else.

Great!

Then I have "safe" way to go into the premises: I guess I'll use my another passport from my 2nd citizenship. There is no visa, and officially the passport never entered to Thailand. But it is by me, of course.

Let them check "that" person, if I get to any kind of their lists.

Okay, guys...seems all looks much clearer now. Thanks to everyone who posted to this thread! I'll get my arse to the place in this week or early next week I think. I may post you the updates if you want to hear those.

PS: are camera/photo allowed while visiting? Mobile's camera, maybe...? Will it be OK to take a couple of pics of the guy, to send those to his family?

OP, are you really man enough? In going to see someone who was sentenced only for a year and above or so you seem so frightened?

Again going to prison to see even the toughest criminal will not require any fear.

I fear not people (those I can deal with) - but the System, which may link me to his case.

Sorry, I can't say you the full details of his case. It is a serious one. The case, not the guy himself.

I am very surprised that he was not extradited to USA, as his so-called "colleagues" (whose he was never ever seen). There is something behind this "1 year" - that's why I don't want to be a smallest part of that. The case I meant, not the guy himself.

If your background is clean then any check will reveal nothing and there will no records made on your person.

Which background did you mean here? Will they anyhow "check" me on the time of the visit? What will that be?

OP, are you really man enough? In going to see someone who was sentenced only for a year and above or so you seem so frightened?

Again going to prison to see even the toughest criminal will not require any fear.

I fear not people (those I can deal with) - but the System, which may link me to his case.

Sorry, I can't say you the full details of his case. It is a serious one. The case, not the guy himself.

I am very surprised that he was not extradited to USA, as his so-called "colleagues" (whose he was never ever seen). There is something behind this "1 year" - that's why I don't want to be a smallest part of that. The case I meant, not the guy himself.

If your background is clean then any check will reveal nothing and there will no records made on your person.

Which background did you mean here? Will they anyhow "check" me on the time of the visit? What will that be?

There are probably officers from Interpol and the FBI stationed around the prison just waiting for your visit. When you hand over your passport you won't see it again until your release from a Thai prison in 5 years time. Is that what you want to hear?

• Like 1

There are probably officers from Interpol and the FBI stationed around the prison just waiting for your visit. When you hand over your passport you won't see it again until your release from a Thai prison in 5 years time. Is that what you want to hear?

Im a bit paranoid about those places I told ya. smile.png

....not the interpol/FBI, but just a couple of common thai cops would be enough to detain anyone in there. Piece of cake! It it the center of their nest - and they have, errr, experience in detaining.

And "the officers" are always within a phone call.

You are talking of fears of any check or documented evidence about you. That is what I meant by background check here. They will not check you. Leave all that fear at home. You can't take pictures in prison please.

You are talking of fears of any check or documented evidence about you. That is what I meant by background check here. They will not check you. Leave all that fear at home. You can't take pictures in prison please.

Okay... sad.png would be nice to send some pics back to his family, but if not - then not of course.

Thanks again, everyone! Will post here once I get any updates after the visit.

Edited by thunder18

Sir, Peace. Very good to go see your friend. Thank you.

DO NOT DO anything unauthorized. You could wind up roommates.

Go visit the power brokers at the lock up. Be friendly, SMILE, bring along some chocolates for the supervisor. These people aren't working at a boy scout camp. No matter how we might think about it. It is no picnic for the staff working there everyday. Be one with them and it may go much smoother. It works for me. Lots of thank you. I only read one man's post whose had experience on both sides of this dreadful issue. It was a good post.

God bless. Thanks again.

edit; now I did read some of the posts. it is understandable how you feel. however, I don't think the FBI or Interpol are there. I don't think it is a very good idea for you to be either. Send a trusted friend. Or wait it out.

Edited by nithisa78
  • Like 1

DO NOT DO anything unauthorized.

No-no, I don't want to do anything unauthorized. That's why I was checking here - what is allowed, and what is not.

I want this visit to pass as smooth as it can be - for both sides.

however, I don't think the FBI or Interpol are there. I don't think it is a very good idea for you to be either.

CIA/Interpol was there in his case (as I was told). Not for me. I did nothing wrong until now. Of course they will not be standing atround everyday, and waiting me to come. smile.png

I just afraid that (if I visit him) my name will be in their "Case XXXXX/XX - relates_visited" list, and it may reflect on me later on. May I be called and questioned, or anything else. I just don't want that all.

Send a trusted friend. Or wait it out.

These things better to do in person. Not send a middleman. It is very different appearance in terms of trust and showing the support - if you come by yourself, or if you send the small messenger boy.... Hope you know what I meant.

Let's now wait until I go to there, and see. smile.png

Thanks.

But is it possible just to pass anything to him (not transfer money I meant)? I prefer to buy the best for him by myself (some farang's food etc), I am pretty sure they do not have it in that shop. smile.png

Respectively you are thinking too much.

It's prison where he can be killed for a cigarette(s) by a fellow inmate or have the sh_t beat out of him by the guards.

There are rules and protocols to follow. He has made it for a year and that's an accomplishment - don't mess it up for him now.

Advise: visit him as mentioned above. Show little to no emotion re: the conditions. If he successfully completes his sentence, he will remember you visiting him and will also try to forget the whole experience. He will need financial support to return to his home country which is where you can help him.

End of story ---

• Like 2

My experience in visiting people in prison is we always had to show ID, but nothing ever came of it. One time though the officer checking us in asked a Thai friend why she was visiting a certain person as he clearly wasn't happy. No problem visiting alone.

Prices at the prison shop were reasonable, range was modest but ok. This was in Bangkok. After your visit was over you could watch and see from outside the items you purchased being handed to the prisoner.

No phones or cameras allowed, you're meant to store them in a locker. I did see a video online once taken by someone interviewing a very well known prisoner but I wouldn't risk it myself.

If you go with someone famous or genuinely hi-so then the above doesn't necessarily apply...

• Like 1

prison is for those who are hard

hardcore convicts have much time to become hard while in prison. the daily grind, bad food and presence of hardened convicts makes you mentally tough, or it breaks you.

physically a similiar phenomenon occurs. you can get hard by working out and thriving on an austere regimine or you can wither.

when he gets out he's going to be hard and ready for action, and the bigt tiger is a great place to be hard. at least that's what i'm told.

I'm sure his family would love to see pictures of him in prison uniform.

Photo in uniform is much better to the family than no news about him at all. At least they will see that he is alive.

Anyway. No photos means no photos.

I don't think I have ever hear of someone trying to make so many problems for themselves.

I also never ever see the person who reads the written "asking" as "trying" - and then accuse me of trying to make problems, while I was just asking (as I have no idea and no experience).

Am I really trying to make problems here? Where exactly?? Jeezzz......... saai.gif

Edited by thunder18

DO NOT DO anything unauthorized.

No-no, I don't want to do anything unauthorized. That's why I was checking here - what is allowed, and what is not.

I want this visit to pass as smooth as it can be - for both sides.

however, I don't think the FBI or Interpol are there. I don't think it is a very good idea for you to be either.

CIA/Interpol was there in his case (as I was told). Not for me. I did nothing wrong until now. Of course they will not be standing atround everyday, and waiting me to come. smile.png

I just afraid that (if I visit him) my name will be in their "Case XXXXX/XX - relates_visited" list, and it may reflect on me later on. May I be called and questioned, or anything else. I just don't want that all.

Send a trusted friend. Or wait it out.

These things better to do in person. Not send a middleman. It is very different appearance in terms of trust and showing the support - if you come by yourself, or if you send the small messenger boy.... Hope you know what I meant.

Let's now wait until I go to there, and see. smile.png

That wasn't my exact meaning. If he might have issues if he visits. I for one would be just as pleased you send somebody where there will be no negative ramifications. For me, for you, for anyone. This is a prison.

Though there maybe flaws in this. It is still the manner it is intended to work in.

Prison is a correctional center operated by the state. Its detention facility personnel notify victims and their relatives about the pending release of sentenced prisoners incarcerated in their facility. Office work to ensure safety of the province citizens. The office provides a range of services.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

70% of prisoners are in jail for drug offences.

The guy's case is not about the drugs, nor about killing, nor stealing, nor lese majeste. Mind those 30% for "other cases"?

The friends and family of each of them are not afraid of being prosecuted as a result of a visit. Why should you be?

I clearly said several times that the guy's family is not here, nor the friends. Even he himself was not living here permanently, has done nothing to TH, and was caught in transit by the setup where CIA/Interpol were involved. It is something about politic. This is what I was told by others last week.
And this is why I don't want to drag myself into his story (may that be true, or not). I may help him now and be a middleman between him and his family etc - but I am unable to sort out his past.

Please, post something construcive - or proceed to the next thread. I can't answer many questions here as I know almost nothing about his true story. Now I am as clueless as you are, and prefer not to give false assumptions.
Once I successfully visit him - perhaps I'll know more, if he decide to talk more (as I said, I am not even a close friend of him, so he may decide not to accept the visit at all). Let's see once I go there.

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.... All of a sudden it's CIA/Interpol involved.... We either have a conspiracy theorist or a total troll. Do you really think that if either of those agencies were actually involved that your friend would be sitting on his arse in a Thai remand prison? He would have been extradited a long time ago and be banged up in the country that had posted him as wanted.

Please visit your Doctor as your medication needs adjusting.

• Like 2

70% of prisoners are in jail for drug offences. The friends and family of each of them are not afraid of being prosecuted as a result of a visit. Why should you be?

this does not sound like an anonymous goodwill visit.

what correspondence have you had with this guy and why are you choosing to visit him in particular? convicts often look for scape goats while inside and will weave webs that will help their situation in some way. i would be wary of doing any favors.

cia does not usually get involved in the prosecution aspects so i doubt they were involved directly, but could have been behind the scenes, its possible.

• Like 1

Welcome to the Twilight Zone.... All of a sudden it's CIA/Interpol involved.... We either have a conspiracy theorist or a total troll. Do you really think that if either of those agencies were actually involved that your friend would be sitting on his arse in a Thai remand prison? He would have been extradited a long time ago and be banged up in the country that had posted him as wanted.

Here we go again....

Okay, let's repeat once more: I have zero knowledge of his true story. I do not "really think" about that. I know the guy is behind the bars now, and I would like to help him and provide a little support. The guy is in shit and needs some help. Is it hard to get just as it is?

About CIA/Interpol - it is not what "I really think", it is what I was told by others (the ones who informed about the guy's current status) last week. I also have no idea, if it is true or not.

And a couple of his "colleagues" (the fellas who was arrested within the same case) was extradited to USA 9 months ago. That's also I was told - not "I think".

Some of them was, some of them wasn. The guy is [still] here - and that's enough reason for me to go and visit him. I do not interesting in other of his "colleagues" - I know only him (but not as a close friend). If he decide to tell me more once I visit him - then I will know more, and may will post that here.

Yes, it is a possibility that I was told a complete crap about all of that - and the guy is behind the bars for, say, stealing a pair of socks from the nearest supermarket. I don't know this, sorry. I just want to visit and ask.

cia does not usually get involved in the prosecution aspects so i doubt they were involved directly, but could have been behind the scenes, its possible.

I was told by others that the guy was arrested by the setup of Thai cops, where CIA/Interpol were involved (the arrest warrant, the request, the "wanted" paper or how the heck it is called - was come out from them). So the guy and some others was caught where he was here as a tourist. Some of them were extradited, some still be here. The said guy is still here.

And I don't know if this all is a true or not. I have no serious reasond not to believe in this - as the guy is really locked...for something. And I don't want drag myself into his case as a "visitor/relative" (especially if all of that is true about thse CIA/Interpol). I am worryin about the guy's current situation (just as a friend) - but I don't want to be a part of his case at all.

That's why I would like to have as anonymous visit as it can technically be bossible here in Thailand. To visit the person, only - but not to join his fate in the eyes of those CIA/Interpol. I don't want them to background check me as "a yet another possible member of the already-arrested gang, who is now visiting the colleagues", or something like this.

I was told by others that the guy was arrested by the setup of Thai cops, where CIA/Interpol were involved (the arrest warrant, the request, the "wanted" paper or how the heck it is called - was come out from them). So the guy and some others was caught where he was here as a tourist. Some of them were extradited, some still be here. The said guy is still here.

And I don't know if this all is a true or not. I have no serious reasond not to believe in this - as the guy is really locked...for something. And I don't want drag myself into his case as a "visitor/relative" (especially if all of that is true about thse CIA/Interpol). I am worryin about the guy's current situation (just as a friend) - but I don't want to be a part of his case at all.

That's why I would like to have as anonymous visit as it can technically be bossible here in Thailand. To visit the person, only - but not to join his fate in the eyes of those CIA/Interpol. I don't want them to background check me as "a yet another possible member of the already-arrested gang, who is now visiting the colleagues", or something like this.

You want to visit as anonymous as possible, yet you want to put money into his prison bank account you want to give him goodies and you want to take pictures of him.

Good luck with that then.

Its a prison visit....same as any prison visit in any other country.

I have no experience in any prison in any other country. I never visit any, and I have no idea what is behind those doors.

I said this numerous times, but still...

Next.

You are not going to be locked up unless you try to help him escape!

Nowhere in 4 pages I was scare to be locked. I said I don't want to be in any of their lists, and don't want to be attached to his case in any possible way.

Next.

PS: Guys, are you really reading through the thread? Seems not. sad.png

I've read it all....just pitch up with your passport and a few Baht....then come back and tell us all about it.

Yeah...that's exactly what I am planning to do. Thanks to all the prev.posters with all the good suggestions.

You are badly over analysing this!

That's because I have zero personal experience in this.

With these kinds of places, it is much better to have'em over and overanalyzed rather than underanalysed, you know what I meant. I prefer to be fully prepared for the new experience that I never have earlier. That's why I am posting some (maybe funny to others) questions. And I still have many minor ones! smile.png

I am planning to give him a visit somewhere next week. Let's see.