Visiting to the friend locked in prison

thunder18

You will not have a problem giving your passport for ID. There will be no cross checks. When you see how many people visit you will soon realise that no one is going to check the details of an individual visitor. You will not be able to see him if you do not present ID for photocopying. Taking a Thai person will make no difference to this requirement. You are not presenting ID to the police, only the prison. Stop worrying.

• Like 1

If he has been sentenced he is not in a remand prison.

My experience is of visiting someone on remand in Nong Pla Lai (Chonburi) but I believe it is the same - prisoners sentenced to <10 years are allowed to serve their sentence there (her cell mate is serving 4 years).
This prisoner is said to have been sentenced to only 1 year so it would be normal practice I believe.

Buying stuff in the shop is not so easy because the list of items is in Thai. Depositing money into his prison account is easier but the range inside more limited and expensive than the outside shop.

I believe it's the same as at NPL - there is another (larger) form which gives English translations, but you have to ask the clerk at the window for "farang form".
It is still not easy to fill in over the intercom/phone for a Thai inmate with limited English so I usually ask another (Thai) visitor to help.

The biggest problem I have is in recognising the full Thai name when it is given out over the PA system - again I ask other (Thai0 visitors to help me.

It's not a pleasant experience for visitors, but clearly appreciated by the inmates that someone (anyone?) has taken the trouble.

• Like 2

Is it possible to pass books/magazines/newspapers to the inmate?

No it is not possible. You can send a letter. You can give them nothing other than what you buy from the store or pay into their bank account. You may be able to donate books/magazines to the prison library, if there is one. The jail I regularly visit in Pathum Thani has a library (only Thai prisoners).

• Like 1

You are probably looking at a layer of steel mesh, behind which are the steel bars and then the (bullet proof?) glass - you are speaking through an intercom - you cannot pass anything.

You can submit items to the officer who copies your ID and he will do an initial check (probably another later) returning anything unacceptable to you.

My experience was in submitting 4 photos - he returned 2 of them to me, not because there was anything wrong, but because "2 enough".

She received the other 2 no problem.

Are those phones at the visiting room somehow monitored/recorded/"censored"?

Can I speak to him freely on our native language, or shall I speak only "understandable by Mr.Sergeant out there" language, or how?

Can I print the letter from his family (on paper), bring it with me, and let him read that through the glass? Not pass the paper to him I meant, but just place that to the glass.

Edited by thunder18

You are probably looking at a layer of steel mesh, behind which are the steel bars and then the (bullet proof?) glass - you are speaking through an intercom - you cannot pass anything.

You can submit items to the officer who copies your ID and he will do an initial check (probably another later) returning anything unacceptable to you.

My experience was in submitting 4 photos - he returned 2 of them to me, not because there was anything wrong, but because "2 enough".

She received the other 2 no problem.

Did not know this. Will the officer accept anything that couldn't otherwise be included in a letter?

Can I speak to him freely on our native language, or shall I speak only "understandable by Mr.Sergeant out there" language, or how?

Can I print the letter from his family (on paper), bring it with me, and let him read that through the glass? Not pass the paper to him I meant, but just place that to the glass.

Nothing is censored. There will be a line of you speaking through phones. Can't see how they would be monitored or recorded but if you don't discuss anything controversial you won't have a problem anyway. You can mail him the letter or try giving to the ID guy as suggested above. Letters that I send to my friend are checked going in and out, usually holding up delivery by several days.

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

No, they're not monitored.

Yes, he can read a letter.

• Like 1

It is fairly obvious though they will want to monitor visitors and so I'm sure you won't be allowed to visit without showing real proof of your own ID.

What if I take any Thai person with me (using his/her Thai ID, and play the common show "Stupid farang forgot the passport at home, what a funny farang")? Will this work - what do you think?

Really do not want to get in any kind of "lists". This is just no need for me.

Logically I would tend to agree with minikev.

However, I was advised by an experienced visitor to take a Thai with me to register.

I haven't been able to check whether they still would have asked for my ID as I can't get one of her Thai friends to get up that early.

I was wary also, because it's a drugs offence, but I've been visiting for about 5 months now, so if I'm on a list sobeit.

It does seem that there are more items on the shop list than inmates are allowed to buy via their prison account.

Present the inmate's name to the cashier and they will tell you how much they have in their account.

I'm told they can spend up to 200 Baht/day.

One time I visited my friend was down to 700 Baht so I added 2k.

Last time she had 7,800 Baht so I didn't - Mama & sister are contributing and maybe she has other friends too.

• Like 1

OP you should take a lubricated mobile phone in there for him.

He will know what to do with it.

Seems an experienced poster here. Any personal suggestions may you share?

/sarcasm

Put the phone Silent on Vibrate.

Is there any _max_ limit that I can deposit to his internal account? 200THB/day you said, and he got to be there for another 3 months = 18.000THB?

Is it save enough to put "large" amounts (large enough for the guards etc) to his name? Or better do several smaller transactions every couple of weeks?

Is it possible to deposit some cash from the "outer world" (bank transfer or smthn), without the need to go into the prison/stay in all of those queues...?

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

70% of prisoners are in jail for drug offences. The friends and family of each of them are not afraid of being prosecuted as a result of a visit. Why should you be?

thats worse than the United States....probably most of them small time users too, because the BIB are scared shitless to go after anybody really high up who deals with drugs......Its total BS

Edited by Smurkster
  • Like 1

70% of prisoners are in jail for drug offences.

The guy's case is not about the drugs, nor about killing, nor stealing, nor lese majeste. Mind those 30% for "other cases"?

The friends and family of each of them are not afraid of being prosecuted as a result of a visit. Why should you be?

I clearly said several times that the guy's family is not here, nor the friends. Even he himself was not living here permanently, has done nothing to TH, and was caught in transit by the setup where CIA/Interpol were involved. It is something about politic. This is what I was told by others last week.

And this is why I don't want to drag myself into his story (may that be true, or not). I may help him now and be a middleman between him and his family etc - but I am unable to sort out his past.

Please, post something construcive - or proceed to the next thread. I can't answer many questions here as I know almost nothing about his true story. Now I am as clueless as you are, and prefer not to give false assumptions.

Once I successfully visit him - perhaps I'll know more, if he decide to talk more (as I said, I am not even a close friend of him, so he may decide not to accept the visit at all). Let's see once I go there.

Edited by thunder18

O.K. now...

The OP has stated that he does not really know the guy who is locked up and does not even know why he is locked up.

He also states that te CIA and Interpol are involved.

It is an international case..that is pretty serious stuff.

Why in the world would the OP even want to get involved??

Just to make some poor stranger ( who could be a real bad guy ) feel a little better?

Where I come from, there are little old ladies who go to funerals of people who they have never met...they cry and pray like they lost a family member...pretty twisted behavior I think.

1) Could the Op be something like these little old ladies?

2) Or is he just not being "on the level" with his post?

3) Or is he just another TV troll getting his jollies by leading people on?

Anyway you look at it....I'm done with this guy...except for putting his name on my "avoid list".

Edited by willyumiii
  • Like 1

I am sorry. I thought that you said that he had committed a drug offence. Nevertheless you will be safe enough in visiting him.

Nope, I did not.

I won't visit drug offencer, nor killer - even if he be my own son. Sorry for them all, but they receive what they deserve. The Karma strikes back, we say that...

Edited by thunder18

Either you want to visit someone or you don't. Thinking you are being targeted for visiting someone who has served 9 months of a very short sentence is bullshit. If you just want to come up with one reason after another why you might be in danger then the solution is simple - don't visit. The person I visit is doing 13 years and I have zero concern for my own safety in seeing him.

• Like 1

O.K. now...

The OP has stated that he does not really know the guy who is locked up and does not even know why he is locked up.

Ever heard about the meaning of morality?

Seems not.

Anyway you look at it....I'm done with this guy...except for putting his name on my "avoid list".

Bye.

O.K. now...

Ever heard about the meaning of morality?

Seems not.

Bye.

I don't know why I wasted my time giving you the best advice I could. If you saw the way prisoners live in Thai jails you might change your mind about the justice of their punishment for drug users etc. If you are as straight and stitched up as you are starting to sound you should not go anywhere near a thai jail. Let your 'friend' rot. Let your morality triumph over your humanity.

Either you want to visit someone or you don't. Thinking you are being targeted for visiting someone who has served 9 months of a very short sentence is bullshit. If you just want to come up with one reason after another why you might be in danger then the solution is simple - don't visit. The person I visit is doing 13 years and I have zero concern for my own safety in seeing him.

The serving time of others is not equal to your own privacy.

I don't know how this visit will reflect to my life in coming years (especially if intl agencies invilved, as I was told) - so I want to visit the guy as anonymously as it technically possible in Thailand, and that's it. Regardless the fact that he gets just 1 year, or life sentence - it is doesn't matter to me. He might be locked again just after minutes he get released (or even get his serving "extended") - who knows that for sure? TIT.

Will try Thai person+"Sorry forgot my passport at home" show. I see nothing wrong about this - and often it works.

If not succeed - then I will come back another day with my own ID and try again.

Is there any _max_ limit that I can deposit to his internal account? 200THB/day you said, and he got to be there for another 3 months = 18.000THB?

Is it save enough to put "large" amounts (large enough for the guards etc) to his name? Or better do several smaller transactions every couple of weeks?

Is it possible to deposit some cash from the "outer world" (bank transfer or smthn), without the need to go into the prison/stay in all of those queues...?

The system seems safe enough to me - my friend had 7,800 and I don't see why I couldn't have added 10k or so to that.

I'd say it's safe - the guards don't have access, it's the prison banking system.

You don't have to queue to deposit money.

You go to the accounts window, ask how much he has, deposit what you want and get a receipt.

You can do all that without even visiting him.

I don't think you can transfer in from your bank a/c though.

O.K. now...

Good idea - you seem to have enough of your own issues to worry about.

• Like 1

The serving time of others is not equal to your own privacy.

I don't know how this visit will reflect to my life in coming years (especially if intl agencies invilved, as I was told) - so I want to visit the guy as anonymously as it technically possible in Thailand, and that's it. Regardless the fact that he gets just 1 year, or life sentence - it is doesn't matter to me. He might be locked again just after minutes he get released (or even get his serving "extended") - who knows that for sure? TIT.

Will try Thai person+"Sorry forgot my passport at home" show. I see nothing wrong about this - and often it works.

If not succeed - then I will come back another day with my own ID and try again.

It won't work but if you believe that often it works then why are you asking such basic questions about visiting here? If you do not produce your passport you will not get a visit. It is that simple.

If you saw the way prisoners live in Thai jails you might change your mind about the justice of their punishment for drug users etc.

I have no mercy for the drug users, sorry. I am very straight and reasonable man, and I think that they have selected their destinies by themselves. No cries now, sorry. But this would be another topic.

In this one, the guy was done nothing harmful to others nor to his own life (as I was told). It can be lie ("all of the prisoners are innocent", huh), but it can also be true. I will meet him and check it out (I think that I will sense lie, after all of my years in this world). If he is really innocent (or at least can fool me in this) - I'll support him till he get released. If he is not - then visiting and supporting him will be my personal mistake since the beginning.

It won't work but if you believe that often it works then why are you asking such basic questions
I see no question in thee prev.topic. I said that I will try this.

Why am I asking? Because I never visited to those places yet. Perhaps someone did this trick before - so they may respond. If not - then I would be the 1st. It is OK if this won't work - I will lose nothing but some free time.

If you do not produce your passport you will not get a visit. It is that simple.

Noted. sad.png

One more question: in the farang's passport, do they check/copy only the front page? Or all pages - with all of those visas, arr/dep cards, 90-day reports etc? Or just the photo/name/passp.number, as on the front page? Please give me a clue, I need to know the amount of info to be "leaked" to them. I am a bit paranoid when getting in touch with the authorities like this one, sorry....

Edited by thunder18

If you saw the way prisoners live in Thai jails you might change your mind about the justice of their punishment for drug users etc.

I have no mercy for the drug users, sorry. I am very straight and reasonable man, and I think that they have selected their destinies by themselves. No cries now, sorry. But this would be another topic.

In this one, the guy was done nothing harmful to others nor to his own life (as I was told). It can be lie ("all of the prisoners are innocent", huh), but it can also be true. I will meet him and check it out (I think that I will sense lie, after all of my years in this world). If he is really innocent (or at least can fool me in this) - I'll support him till he get released. If he is not - then visiting and supporting him will be my personal mistake since the beginning.

what does that even mean you have "no mercy" for drug users...I'm often amazed how much of 'back to the stone age" mentality there is amongst the posters here....getting their panties in a ringer over some marijuana

• Like 1