5 days with son on spring break

eastbay

Hello All, my 16 year old son will come to Thailand for his spring break, and I will take the week off to travel with him.

He arrives on Sun, April 5 and his flight out leaves Sat, April 11- just before a bit into Songkran I guess.

So we really only have Monday to Friday for full days- I live in Rayong and own a 300cc motorbike, so one option would be to chuck him on the back and go to Kho Chang or some other fairly close destination. In a way I like this idea as we would experience some adversity (rain, heat, hours riding) that would be good character building and adventure training, but I also don't want it to be TOO tedious.

Another way would be for me to meet him in Bangkok and both fly somewhere. One idea I have about this is to fly to Phuket and have a couple of days diving, then fly to Chang Mai for a couple of days in the mountains.

Diving (more clear the water the better), wildlife, ancient ruins would be the priorities. On the diving I thought possibly of flying to Myanmar instead of Phuket if that is easier to access Andaman Sea islands that aren't overrun. Quiet places off the beaten track to enjoy nature and history preferred!!

Thanks in advance for any thoughts and suggestions!

I would ask him what he wants to do. Mountains, beaches, big city. 5 days is not much time. A great trip would be angkor wat for a few days, boat to PP, then down to snooky for a day or two on the beach, easy to get back home from there. Could do the same thing with phuket or samui.

Do you have a Carnet (vehicle passport essentially) for your motorcycle? You could Motorcycle to Poipet and cross into Cambodia there and motorcycle on to Angkor Wat. The road is not nearly as bad as it used to be. Some interesting towns along the way, especially the very French Colonial Battambang. There are so many fascinating places to see at Angkor. Not just the main temples but also many much smaller and less crowded ruins way into the complex. If time runs short, Your son could fly to BKK from Siem Reap while you return home alone. Angkor Wat is one of these onetime trips that you would want to make the most of.

Thanks dddave, I just saw this, I've been off for a few days. I bought my bike about a month or so ago, I don't have the green book yet although I could check the dealer, it may be in- but how do I get a Carnet?

This does sound like a good option. I just took a few days road trip to Phimai through Khao Mai and really enjoyed just motoring through the countryside on the back roads. I think that he might like it as well, with the reward of AW at the end.

Do you have a Carnet (vehicle passport essentially) for your motorcycle? You could Motorcycle to Poipet and cross into Cambodia there and motorcycle on to Angkor Wat. The road is not nearly as bad as it used to be. Some interesting towns along the way, especially the very French Colonial Battambang. There are so many fascinating places to see at Angkor. Not just the main temples but also many much smaller and less crowded ruins way into the complex. If time runs short, Your son could fly to BKK from Siem Reap while you return home alone. Angkor Wat is one of these onetime trips that you would want to make the most of.

" The road is not nearly as bad as it used to be. "

Ah that brings back memories. Crossed on the first day it opened and got a pick up ride to SR. A motorcycle could have disappeared in those bomb craters smile.png