English Camp Activities

I have been asked to organise an English camp for 100 students. Age range, 12-15 years, all boys.

Having never participated in an English Camp before, I am calling on you guys to help me out with some ideas. The camp will be for four days and I appreciate that 'sanook' is top of the agenda but I would also like to come up with some games in which their English skills can be put into use.

Your ideas/suggestions most appreciated!

Thanks

One activity I used to do on English camps was to find a large field, preferably near an elevated point of some sort (hill or building) and have the students spell out English messages in large letters by lying down on the field. You can take photos of it from the elevated viewpoint and then you have a great souvenir photo for the trip.

"Steven"

• 1 month later...

There is a really good new organization called English Wow. www.englishwow.org. They have some good camps they offer and they do custom camps as well. You might want to ask them if they can send some of their staff to help you out or maybe just run the camp for you. Their priority is on actually giving their students some valuable language training combined with lots of fun. It sounds like that's what you're looking for. I did a camp with them back in April and I was really impressed. Most of those english camps are pretty much just a big party designed for the kids to have fun and have little to do with learning anything. But their camp had lots of learning and practice opportunities for the students. As well, I thought is was very professionally planned and organized ---- which is not usually the case with other organizations I've worked with. I will probably work for them again if they will invite me back --- so maybe I'll see you there. They have a great website. www.englishwow.org

good luck.

oh English Camp

(clap clap clap clap)

oh English Camp

(clap clap clap clap)

oh how we love our English Camp

We enjoy just being together

oh how we love our English Camp

repeat as needed

Usually you have the camp broken up into groups. Say 10 groups of 10 students each.

I have pictures of 30 different sports mounted on cards. A member of group one picks out a card at random. He tries to act out the sport until his group guesses what sport it is. On to group two, etc. This can be timed and turned into an elimination type contest with the fastest three groups getting a good dobee award of some kind.

Students often seem shy in the classroom and having an English Camp allows them to step out of the "me teacher-you student" mold and show off. You may be surprised at how much English they know in a more relaxed setting.

Hope this helps.

'nuff said