Maynard Ferguson, Dies.

HarryHacker

I hadn't heard or seen much about him in recent years, but like yourself, Popeyethesailorman, I remember seeing him in California during that same time frame. You mentioned Gospel John, which was one of my favorites, as was his version of MacArthur Park. Chameleon and MF Horn 1 and 2 were also great stuff. He played those high notes with such ease, and for those in my high-school jazz band, we all wanted to play like Maynard. He was insipiring to many.

RIP Maynard

Very sad news indeed. I saw Maynard in Seatle back in 78 and 79 and man, could that guy play. Remember "Gospel John"?

Legend.

I saw him play in NZ and also here in BKK; by the last time I saw him a few years back he was very overweight and had lost his chops to some degree, but it wasn't just his playing; he led a great band; had some great compositions, and had some great arrangers (in fact he did some of the arranging as well I think). Dennis Deblasio I think was the guy that was ###### ###### ###### good at arranging his 'sound'.

Lush Life rates as one of my favourites. Live? well would have to be Gabriel I think, or some of the bebop stuff remixed west coazt style yo yo yo.