Iphone 5 swollen battery?

rbkk

My Iphone 5 (32GB white) that i purchased from Siam Paragon on 2/5/2012 has a problem. It is functioning OK, but on the top and left side it is bulging(1or 2 mm.) It is in great condition and all original. Nothing has broken or been replaced before. A quick google search reveals similar problems with this model and time frame. This is a separate problem to the battery replacement program (losing/not holding charge.) My model number did not qualify for the battery replacement but does qualify for the replacement home button program(As the home button is working ok I have not yet bothered putting it in for replacement yet.)

In Singapore and the US I note that customers with the same symptoms are receiving 1for 1 replacements ( As the battery is dangerous and under 3 years old.) Sometimes a refurbished Iphone 5, and in some cases a brand new Iphone 5.

Can anyone shed any light on the Thailand replacement policy? Anyone got similar problems? What do you think I should do?

Not sure but they gave Mrs.Trans a new phone BUT she had to pay HALF the phone value.....

In the UK, if your phone was out of warranty, Apple used to have a fixed price replacement scheme. Regardless of the fault with a phone, book an appointment with an official Apple store, take your faulty phone in, pay your money and get a brand new phone.

Total time in store? 5 to 10 minutes.

I say 'used to have' because I've been in Thailand for 15 months, so my information is dated.

Maybe they have a similar scheme here?

Edited by sean in udon

Not sure but they gave Mrs.Trans a new phone BUT she had to pay HALF the phone value.....

In the UK, if your phone was out of warranty, Apple used to have a fixed price replacement scheme. Regardless of the fault with a phone, book an appointment with an official Apple store, take your faulty phone in, pay your money and get a brand new phone.

I say 'used to have' because I've been in Thailand for 18 months, so my information is dated.

I don't think there is an official Apple store in Thailand....

I say 'used to have' because I've been in Thailand for 18 months, so my information is dated.

Bangkok alone has 99: https://locate.apple.com/th/en/sales/?pt=all&lat=13.7563309&lon=100.50176510000006

• Like 2

Bangkok alone has 99: https://locate.apple.com/th/en/sales/?pt=all&lat=13.7563309&lon=100.50176510000006

Are those re-sellers or official Apple stores where you can book an appointment/genius bar etc? Can those stores issue phones for 1 for 1 replacement? I hope so.

Are those re-sellers or official Apple stores where you can book an appointment/genius bar etc? Can those stores issue phones for 1 for 1 replacement? I hope so.

Official service centers: https://locate.apple.com/th/en/service/?pt=3&lat=13.7563309&lon=100.50176510000006&carrier=AIS

• Like 1

I say 'used to have' because I've been in Thailand for 15 months, so my information is dated.

Best of "British Luck" to you...remember... This Is Thailand!

IMG_3884_zpsvkbvfs86.jpgJust an update and a picture to show the iphone 5 bulging battery(?). My wife rang the service agent nearest to where we are and was informed (in Thai) that regardless of the problem there would be a 1500 fee to do the "Apple paperwork". This seemed contradictary to what I had researched last night; that customers with the same symptoms as mine had the service/replacement free. So....Thailand toll free number (9-English) gets you through to ....the Philippines. After a bit a crackle down the line, the customer service agent (great English) connects me through to a senior manager in Singapore (on hold 35mins!) In relation to my phone he was very professional and asked for photos to his personal/direct e-mail and would get back to me after some research.

In relation to the service agent requesting 1500baht he said he would get a Thai speaker to call the service centre straight away. 30 minutes later he returned my call and said the shop said the person responsible had left for the day (2pm!). Apple said they would call back tomorrow morning and let me know the outcome and best way forward to proceed.

Moral (so far): When purchasing a premium international brand here in Thailand;don't let the locals try and rip you off! My hat goes off to Apple. Well done, so far...

Edited by rbkk

• 2 weeks later...

2015-03-13%2017.27.55_zpsyumuh50k.jpg

Update 2. Collected a new Iphone 5 from Apple today. (Not a reconditioned unit) Free from any charges. Looking at the model number it is an unlocked handset ( Same as before) that seems to have been allocated to Hong Kong carrier "3". It was sent from Singapore.( Model 1429/ND300ZP/A) Time to put my back-up in and update to IOS 8.2. I'm obviously a very satisfied customer, and hope that anyone else that has similar symptoms should get in touch with Apple regardless of any "Outside warranty" fears. Batteries should not expand; it was a safety issue. The engineer, as I was leaving, pulled out from under his counter 4 other Iphone 5 handsets with battery issues. (I don't know if they would be replaced with new phones.) Dealing with Singapore has got a result for me. Well done Apple.2015-03-13%2017.29.53_zpswvry5imf.jpg

Edited by rbkk
  • Like 1

I forgot to say above, that when I took it in and they plugged it in and tested it, it passed all 4 tests (including battery) as a "pass." They said they would need to open it up later and send pictures of the insides to Singapore. Obviously something was wrong inside; hence the new phone. I wonder if Samsung would have done the same.....

• Like 1

Not sure but they gave Mrs.Trans a new phone BUT she had to pay HALF the phone value.....sad.png

NO, I am NOT going to ask her the story...............sad.png

Did you have similar symptoms to mine?

She did..........sad.png

Now has a replacement, she did not tell me (and I don't want to know) how much they charged her..sad.png

Not sure but they gave Mrs.Trans a new phone BUT she had to pay HALF the phone value.....sad.png

NO, I am NOT going to ask her the story...............sad.png

Did you have similar symptoms to mine?

She did..........sad.png

Now has a replacement, she did not tell me (and I don't want to know) how much they charged her..sad.png

Similar symptoms, but different results? Do you know if a diagnostic test was performed on your handset? Results? My wife, today, said the engineer in my case, said they opened it up to check the (2?) red-disc water damage detectors for any damage. As they were dry and undamaged Singapore had already authorized, on their screens, a new phone, to be sent from Singapore.