Thai Police on the Hunt for Tourist Caught Kicking Sacred Prayer Bell

Jacob Maslow

There would be no news whatsoever about this topic had this issue not caught on video. Thais are keen on getting sensationalise if a camera is focused on them. In this case, it is a free publicity to promote the Thainess and Thailand.

About the tourist speaking Mandarin, how true is it that they can find and apprehend him for disrespecting Thai relics and Thai culture and the Thais. They were not able to locate nor apprehend Wanchalerm Yubamrung when he was wanted for murdering a policeman. That guy was practically living close to a police station and was daily crossing the borders to gamble accompanied by 8 bodyguards assigned by his politician father. And now they want to search for a presumed Chinese tourists? It's a joke if you know what I am talking about.

It is not about damaged property . It is also not about religion. It is about respects of Thai culture. Do you know what Thais consider of the feet ?

As I said, irrational, culture, superstition, religion, ..... "consider ot the feet" ? yea, can make good money performing foot massage. It is up to the tourism people to inform visitors of any special cultural fetishes.

Boggles the mind sometimes. Feet are dirty but they will prepare a meal on the floor...

Yeah, Thais are so pure, must cover your mouth with your hands when using a toothpick, but openly spitting on the ground is quite OK. Lets not forget their toilets, even a mangey old soi dog won't eat in them.

IMO this has nothing to do with religion, superstition or even feet. it has to do with respect. The person was a visitor to this country, thus he has to show respect to Thai culture. What would y'all say if someone would do something like this in, let's say, a church in the USA, GB or wherever. The same outrage would occur I am certain. So just show respect and decent courtesy while visiting (or living in) another country.

Culture, the Thais have no individual culture. What they call culture is a combintion of cultures inherited from the Chinese, Burmese and Indian.

"sacred prayer bell" tells all about the thais made a religion from buddhism. but for every real buddhist buddhism is never a religion. therefore can a bell never be sacred. its just a bell nothing else wich sounds nice or not. funny too is the king of thailand is the head of the buddhist in thailand. anyhow buddha would smile too about this if he could see it.

Edited by bernd1616

IMO this has nothing to do with religion, superstition or even feet. it has to do with respect. The person was a visitor to this country, thus he has to show respect to Thai culture. What would y'all say if someone would do something like this in, let's say, a church in the USA, GB or wherever. The same outrage would occur I am certain. So just show respect and decent courtesy while visiting (or living in) another country.

atheists stay above things like this. i only would smile like buddha if he could see something like this :-D

btw don´t forget the christian history not only in the time of the inquisitation. christians are still numer one in the world killing inocent people day for day.. example the terror state usa and his helpers in the nato (nord atlantik terror organisation) all of them called christians hahaha

It is not about damaged property . It is also not about religion. It is about respects of Thai culture. Do you know what Thais consider of the feet ?

Yes, most of us do. That doesn't change that the only thing hurt were peoples feelings. There was no theft, no violence, no death.... just hurt feelings, which while don't make it right, in a list of priorities of things wrong with this country, should be well down the bottom. But there is nothing like a dose of Xenophobia to distract people from the real problems.

OMG!, What a waste of time and money to have police running around looking for this person.As if he caused any damaged.Thailand is trying to lure more Chinese tourists in and they make a big deal of a petty little thing like this.Go chase some real criminals!wai2.gif

Sure i understand all of the feet symbolism being the lowest part of the body, blah, blah , showing souls of feet, walking over feet..... This should be respected no doubt, but i am sure 90% of new toursists dont know this....More education need TAT.

BUT some Thai dont give a shit when they lay the boot in gangs of taxi drivers and bouncers on some poor inebriated farang toursist who's had too much to drink while spending a heap of cash at their establishment....Double standars here, [plus kicking their heads in, which is also a no no in thailand, touching ones head... What a nonsense story really.....Farang not respecting Thai culture V Thai culture not respecting farang...... where does it go from here? ONLY in Thailand.coffee1.gifwhistling.gif

Ok here is the scoop I have found the footage (pun intended)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9vZ1JFrLBYs

The guy is bored and just testing his foot raising skills. Bell was undamaged.

I am a buddhist completely not offended by it. I am sure he will be the last chinese tourist to do that because no one would think of it again.

Dont worry be happy. No problem here.

• Like 1

Was the bell damaged in any way? if not then just inform temple visitors on how to ring the bells in the future. Funny how religion makes folks irrational.

Didn't you read ? The bells are sacred. They are sacred to Thai beliefs and culture, and to me. Funny how some people have no empathy to when Thai culture is abused.

This abuse is no different to if a person came into the Vatican and kicked a crucifix or a statue of a saint.

• Like 1

The first thing we learn about Thailand is to respect HM the King, the Monks and anything related to their religion. Thais are very sensitive on the above issues. Remember, people kill if you offend their Prophet. The Thai reaction to apprehend and caution this person is like a picnic in the park compared to what Salman Rushdie could suffer if caught.

I can understand the Thai sensitivities and I wish they catch that person. He seemed to be a youth so he might have acted stupidly rather than disrespectfully.

The bells are sacred.

If they are sacred, it is rather short-sighted of the temple to have them on open-display for crowds of uneducated tourists.

But after watching the video clip, I have to say 'Is that what the fuss is all about?"

BS... You can find Thai culture in a decorative glass box with a hammer and a sign that says, break in the event of losing FACE. Other than that, it remains only as a conversation piece.