Canadian: I was duped to buy untaxed car

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- The Department of Special Investigation (DSI) is looking into a Canadian’s complaint that a used-car dealer duped him into buying a Bt3.03 million vehicle.

Timothy Rogers, 59, has complained that he bought a Nissan Fairlady Z 370 from the Phetchaburi-based dealer in mid-2013 because it advertised that the car was manufactured in 2012 and already cleared by the DSI.

“After the payment, I found out that the car was in fact manufactured in 2008 and that the DSI has not yet certified it as a properly-taxed car,” Rogers said on Tuesday.

He explained that he was unable to read the Thai-language purchase agreement and unsuspectingly believed in what the dealer said.

“I’ve got the idea of what is really going on only after I contacted a firm for auto-car insurance,” he said.

Rogers said after he found out the truth, he tried to return the vehicle to the dealer and get his money back. But Ban Raisom, run by Sonthaya Angkinan, has said it will take the car back only if Rogers agrees to get just Bt1.7million back.

Believing that this offer is unfair, the Canadian has lodged a complaint with various authorities including the Office of the Consumer Protection Board (OCPB).

The OCPB has finally referred this case to the DSI.

DSI senior official Surawut Rangsai says his agency will coordinate with relevant authorities in solving this case. He adds that in the meantime, Rogers can still use or even sell the car.

“But the Customs Department may ask for import-duty payment from him,” Surawut says.

Many dealers have tried to evade import duty by claiming that imported vehicles are locally-assembled cars. The Customs Department is in the process of checking whether this Nissan Fairlady has undergone proper import procedures.

Can you trust a car salesman i dont think so, due diligence would have saved him a great deal of stress , Buying a used car in Thailand you need to ensure road tax has been paid otherwise you need to pay all the outstanding tax .

It's about import tax not road tax(and year of manufacture)

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Shouldn't sign documents which you can't read alt=biggrin.png> alt=biggrin.png> alt=biggrin.png> .

Agreed, and the Bank of Thailand should enforce their own rule that banks must provide banking documents in English. Many Thai banks don't including the highest profile mainstream Thai banks.

This also has a twist. My Thai son and myself were opening another joint account, he asked for an application form in English so that we could both read the application form. The bank lady told my son 'Thai people are not allowed to have documents written in English, that's the law.'

I called the HO of the said bank and was told 'It's just not important and it's up to the local branch manager to have his/her own rules on this subject.'

Reforms and joining the first world sorely needed.

• Like 1

Wait, he agreed to pay 120,000 dollars for a used 370z? What a moron and I hope he gets stuck with the car. Lmao. This car you can buy in Canada for about 30,000.

That is because imported cars cost more in Thailand and also second hand cars hold their value better here.

You can buy second hand Jaguars (runners) off flee-bay in England for less than 50,000 Baht, try buying one in running condition in Thailand for less than 700,000 Baht, then come back and call the man a moron.

• Like 1

If the guy was unable to read the thai documents how was he "duped" ?

Yes; I agree, Don; he DID place his signature on the document - and like anywhere else in the world; "ignorance of the Law is NO excuse", so I believe he really hasn't got a leg to stand on. Be very interesting to see how this one develops (if it ever does . . . . .)

Only applies to crimes, not consumer protection.

unless consumer protection step in - this is a civil case

It could also be consider a case of gross stupidity

If the DSI want to pursue a criminal case against the dealer (who may claim he was duped same as this Canadian) then up to them and the outcome may help a civil action

Moral - you don't trust a car dealer ...............anywhere - hands up who didn't know that already whistling.gif

If the guy was unable to read the thai documents how was he "duped" ?

I love the word duped it always sounds so much better than doped.

Duped sounds so much better than due diligence <caveat emptor> That way you can blame someone else for lapses in your own judgement.