Canadian: I was duped to buy untaxed car

Thaivisa News

You have to go to the vehicle licensing centre with the seller and only pay the purchase price once you can confirm that the car's registration book is legal and the vehicle is free of all tax obligations. Then you can hand over your cashier's cheque and complete the transfer.

• Like 1

Never trust a thai by his word...they are born liers...

That is very unfair, I have had Thais work on my house, car, M/C. computer etc, and never had a problem, and none of them were liars. Thais are no more liars than in any other country.
Beg to differ on that comment.

While I also disagree with the born liars comment, there does seem to be a good proportion of Thais that have a propensity to outright lie or make stuff up. More so than I have experienced in the UK.

Anywhere I go with an inquiry, particularly large stores, I always ask 2 people.

I could start a huge list for all the times I've been initially told, don't have and then asking someone else who kindly shows me the item.

Or my other favourite:

'we don't have that, but we have this. It's exactly the same.'

Err, no. It isn't the same at all.

I used to let it go, but my language skills are improving. They generally go very quiet when I ask them 'why lie to me?'

Building supply stores.

What size is this metal box section?

2" x 4"

My tape measure comes out. It's 1.75" x 3.5"

Again just one example. There are loads.

As for workmen, the crap they come out with sometimes. Problems are always caused by the suppliers, the materials, the tools or sometimes, the weather. Never them.

This isn't Thai bashing before anybody starts. It's opinion based on experiences here. I've adapted accordingly, which minimises any problems that could occur.

As for the Canadian, I hope he's a newbie here and just had a massive learning curve.

If he's been here for a while, I hope he's got a big bank account. He's gonna need it.

Edited by sean in udon
  • Like 1

is the 370z manufactured in 2008? It wasn't even designed then!

Unless he was talking about the 350z!

Wow really.

I wonder how it was unveiled in 2008 then sold in 2009, them Japanese sure do work quick then......

If the first 370Z ever was sold in early 2009, it would be difficult to buy a 2008 model, won't you think?

Wait, he agreed to pay 120,000 dollars for a used 370z? What a moron and I hope he gets stuck with the car. Lmao. This car you can buy in Canada for about 30,000.

Maybe but this is Thailand, and cars are valued higher here

Wait, he agreed to pay 120,000 dollars for a used 370z? What a moron and I hope he gets stuck with the car. Lmao. This car you can buy in Canada for about 30,000.

Maybe but this is Thailand, and cars are valued higher here

Don't confuse the man, he does not have the mental capacity to think and type at the same time.

Wow really.

I wonder how it was unveiled in 2008 then sold in 2009, them Japanese sure do work quick then......

If the first 370Z ever was sold in early 2009, it would be difficult to buy a 2008 model, won't you think?

If the first 370Z ever was sold in early 2009, it would be difficult to say it was not even designed in 2008, won't you think?

I'm back. And he's still a moron.

Apart from being a lot richer than me, if he cannot find a Thai to take along to translate, or if he can spend three mill on something called a Fairlady without paying a couple of thou for a qualified translator he is a total knob.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Shouldn't sign documents which you can't read alt=biggrin.png> alt=biggrin.png> alt=biggrin.png> .

Agreed, and the Bank of Thailand should enforce their own rule that banks must provide banking documents in English. Many Thai banks don't including the highest profile mainstream Thai banks.

This also has a twist. My Thai son and myself were opening another joint account, he asked for an application form in English so that we could both read the application form. The bank lady told my son 'Thai people are not allowed to have documents written in English, that's the law.'

I called the HO of the said bank and was told 'It's just not important and it's up to the local branch manager to have his/her own rules on this subject.'

Reforms and joining the first world sorely needed.

That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard, almost as bizarre as that former Thai minister who suggested that "English is a language for foreigners and that it can never be considered to be an official language in Thailand" or something to that effect.

And yet there is so much English only advertising and even restaurant menus, especially in cafes, which are often posted on blackboards ONLY in English and I'm not talking about restaurants/cafes/bars for tourists, but local ones! If it's illegal to have documents written in English, how can it be legal to have menus only in English at a cafe that caters primarily to locals?

Wow really.

And here is the reason why this vehicle could be a 2008 model.

It was released in Japan in December 2008.

http://www.nissan-global.com/EN/NEWS/2008/_STORY/081201-01-e.html

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard, almost as bizarre as that former Thai minister who suggested that "English is a language for foreigners and that it can never be considered to be an official language in Thailand" or something to that effect.

I wonder what the former Thai Minister would have spoken in other countries? English is the Universal language of the world, like it or not. An example of yet another "paranoid" Thai authority? whistling.gif

No wonder they trail behind Hong Kong and Singapore as successful economies - where English is spoken also. And I am not suggesting that speaking English made them successful, just that Thai authorities need to see how other countries have succeeded where they, seemingly, cannot!