Road trip from Bangkok

ohiodad

I am traveling to Thailand in early May. I need to rent a car in Bangkok and drive to Chayaphum and then to Ban Phai (just south of Khon Kaen). Eventually I will return the car to Bangkok. Any tips for places to stop along the way? I'm driving along Routes 2 and 201 and I need to know about places to stop for toilet breaks.

On Rt 2, I recall stopping at a roadside rest area overlooking the reservoir (Lumtakong on goggle maps), about 50km south of Nakhon Ratchasima (Korat).

In Korat itself, many places to stop....gas, store, coffee shop... just look for the big signs for petrol stations.

ON 201, at about the midway point to Chaiyaphum, is a town called Dan Khun Tot...google street view shows a nice petrol station with a 7-11 and some other businesses. Can't miss it.

Further north on 201, in Nong Bua, there is a modern petrol station and a shop north of the intersection with 205.

Google street view is your friend. You can take the whole drive without leaving home. smile.png

Edited by phoenixdoglover

Lots of gas stations along the way...don't worry about it. Don't drive in the right lane unless you really drive fast. If you don't the lunatics behind you will be in your back seat. Watch out especially for the right turn/U-turn sections for cars pulling out in front of you. After your first near miss you'll get the hang of it. Have a good trip.

• Like 2

Referring to a previous post: the route to Chaiyaphum via #201 does not lead via Korat (Nakhon Ratchasima).

Expect a lot of heavy slow trucks on 201. Sugar cane transport etc.

Keep your nerves together (meditate) and relax tongue.png

Overtaking is stressful and dangerous.

Edited by KhunBENQ

Ive driven from krabi in south to khon kaen numerous times .well firstly your journey is easily done in a day .a day means daylight .do not drive in the dark .be a very defensive driver .dont even think it cant happen ...it will .use a gps .its essential.car rental company has them .buy your own if you consider ..or are able to return .your brain cannot cope with looking at coded street indications,various incidents,isaan music,heat and jet lag(even if you arrived a month ago ) and driving .

as for rest stops use any service area with a 7/11 and buy a snack in it .this removes the risk of medical attention en route.there are hotels on the way but as all over thailand most are "short time " and if your partner is conservative forget them .

dont forget your gps needs time in the open air to find your present location so when you pick the car up wait in the open for it to work or you will be sent on a wild goose chase. enjoy the trip...its possible !

On the 2 Highway from about Thap Kwang ( Saraburi Grade) all the way to the highway 24 and highway 201 turn off can be a very serious cluster #$%@, going and coming. Very, Very large and very sloooow trucks. Be awake and alert. Do this trip in daylight. Also on highway 201, its a very good two lane highway BUT again beware of large slow trucks and farm equipment. Do this in daylight also if this is your first trip.

Edited by khwaibah