New traffic law to empower Thai police to suspend car use

webfact

"He said at present there are 400-500 hot spots in Bangkok where motorists regularly break traffic rules including riding motorbike crossing flyovers which is not allowed, and parking at restricted areas.'

That's right, deal with the important offenses, never mind the speeders, red light jumpers or sidewalk riders. Up here in Pathum Thani, a cop is a rare sight unless they are grouping to catch helmet-less mo'cy riders in a tunnel or under a bridge.

Get more boots on the ground khun Prawuti. You will be thanked.

Hahahahah I have to laugh about this. In Isan the only place you will see cops is in the city. In the rural areas they are harder to find even on good days. No one respects the cops up here - noy even their own family.

Come on, you nutsacks. You can't even haul a kid to court for killing one of your own, despite the widespread publicity and pressure, just because he's well-connected. It wasn't like the 'old law' was insufficient for you lot to do that. You guys just didn't have the will, conviction, professionalism, integrity and honour to do the right thing - especially in the face of 'big money'. What do you need the new law for? Just keep doing what you do best - harassing ordinary folks for minor offenses and hiding in nooks and crannies like the rats that you are, catching unsuspecting motorists. This is the extent of your capabilities as a sub-species and that's that. No need for new laws.

• Like 1

"He said at present there are 400-500 hot spots in Bangkok where motorists regularly break traffic rules including riding motorbike crossing flyovers which is not allowed, and parking at restricted areas.'

That's right, deal with the important offenses, never mind the speeders, red light jumpers or sidewalk riders. Up here in Pathum Thani, a cop is a rare sight unless they are grouping to catch helmet-less mo'cy riders in a tunnel or under a bridge.

I seriously get anoyed with those flyovers where motorbikes are not allowed. Its a pain in the ass for no real reason at all.

Near where I live you can take the flyover one way.. but not the way back.. crazy. Its not motorbikes that hold up traffic.. it never is. Just an outdated law same as the law that tells motorbikes to stay on the left (deathlane). I can understand it for those meals on wheels motorbikes.. but regular ones.. and big ones like me that go much faster as cars.

Let them go after red light jumpers.. but that is too much work for them. I think anyone agrees red light jumpers are a risk.. but you NEVER see them go after that. They go after easy cash.

I agree, all they need to do is limit the over passes and freeways to bikes over a certain capacity. The problem is to them a Mo Cy is a Mo Cy, there is no difference.

- For sure, impound all vehicles that fail to pay fines with a 5000b fine to get out of impound.

- All them cars that illegally park along side of the roads, just have a tow truck come by, pick it up, and impound the damn car. 5000b fine.

- Get the new technology where a Police car or Tow Truck can drive down the road, look at and run all license plate #'s in just a second. If the vehicle has unpaid tickets, the tow truck tows the vehicle immediately. Impound fee of 5,000b.

I bet people won't illegally park after being impounded a few times!

Gosh..this is Fun!!

• Like 2

Thai police are essentially mafie...to empower them in any way..to any degree...i sheer stupidity...and evidence of corruption...give me 10 years of evidencve that the police function within the expressed confines of the law...and then i will be willing to award them more authority.

• Like 1

If everyone can keep pushing abd pushing for all these wonderful new laws....just think Thailand could be just like the west. Ease the visas as well so we can get even more perhaps permenent middle easterners as well.

Sounds like a terrible idea. Funny how members complain about corrupt cops asking for money. Just imagine how bad it would get when they start asking for people's cars.

Leave things the way they are. Farangs often over-state the traffic problems in Thailand. I feel safer driving in Bangkok than in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Those of you who want to hand over more power to the government/police should move back to home (Europe/US/Oz). There you have these strict laws laid out for you to embrace.

I seriously get anoyed with those flyovers where motorbikes are not allowed. Its a pain in the ass for no real reason at all.

Near where I live you can take the flyover one way.. but not the way back.. crazy. Its not motorbikes that hold up traffic.. it never is. Just an outdated law same as the law that tells motorbikes to stay on the left (deathlane). I can understand it for those meals on wheels motorbikes.. but regular ones.. and big ones like me that go much faster as cars.

Let them go after red light jumpers.. but that is too much work for them. I think anyone agrees red light jumpers are a risk.. but you NEVER see them go after that. They go after easy cash.

It's not just these flyovers, what about the road from Nakhon Sawan towards the Elevated Tollways heading to Don Muang airport? Have you seen these new signs? Motorbikes now must stay on the Frontage Road.

Anyone using a motorbike in or around Bangkok is stopped on a regular basis, sometimes 4 times a day. The police have money spots, flyovers are one of them. There are 3 outcomes, 1) allowed to go on one's way, 2) pay and go, 3) receive a ticket.

The police will often steer the rider to the police's preferable outcome on that day. e.g. If the stop is focussed on drugs, they will simply check the licence, gauge for drugs and then finish the check if they think there are no drugs.

If they have been ordered to collect cash, they will aim for option 2.

If they go for option 3, riders are given 7 days to pay. This effectively means they are free to break all traffic laws for the next 7 days using the ticket as the magic card to ward off all further fines.

I am guessing but in this rather vague proposal, I think the police will use the fact that a driver or rider is still producing a ticket instead of a licence as the trigger for suspension of vehicle use.

I also believe there is no way the police could enforce this with the current level of integration and information technology between the Land Transport Dept. and individual police stations.

Does anyone remember the points system for driving licences that was introduced a few years ago. That was also just a load of hot air.

Your last sentence, that was one of the 24 hour crackdowns.

Awesome. Then every cops (those guys dressed in a uniform, playing candy crush.....while the Nigerians sit in front of 7-11 on Sukhumvit, dispersing their goods. And every cops wife, son, daughter, niece, nephew, grandma, grandpa will be driving those impounded cars. The other ones will be sold to the Russians back to Russia.

• Like 1

Personally I don't mind a ticket.. I just mind the hassle of finding a police station and paying it. I drive on the right (left lane is too dangerous and my bike goes fast enough to be on the left). I know I am wrong and if caught I pay up without problems. I think its outdated especially for a 650cc bike. The problem is that sometimes you have to pay the fine at a police station and you have no idea where it is. I prefer to pay the fine on the spot (even the full fine no need to bribe them) but unfortunately that is not always possible.

I heard somewhere you could pay fines at the post office.. not sure about the truth of the matter.

Why you think that a bike with an larger internal engine capacity should be exempt from certain laws (apart from the fact that you own one, as you keep emphasising for some reason), that is just sheer nonsense. You seem to cite speed but even the smallest engined motorbike is easily able to match and exceed the normal speed of everyday traffic. Presumably you would also exempt cars with big engines from the same laws that apply to small engined cars?

There should be no problem ever paying a fine at a police station, if you're in an area that you are unfamiliar with when you get a ticket you can nominate a police station in any other area that you are familiar with at which to pay your fine.

If that is the case I am fine with it no problem. I did not know that hat was possible. I accept I am breaking the law.. Are you sure about being able to pay at other police stations ? If so my problem is solved as I really have no problem with the fine. Because I know I am wrong.

And I just feel the whole left and flyover thing for all bikes is crazy (except sam lors). Staying in the left lane is dangerous.. every bus / taxi / minivan cuts you off to stop there. As for the flyovers.. its also crazy.. as I said we have one in the neighborhood.. one way its allowed.. but coming back its not.. just crazy. I also drive a scooter (and a car)

Just because a thing is LAW does not mean that it is right, common sense is more important than any law, and if you use geniune common sense, then just break the law.

Sounds like a terrible idea. Funny how members complain about corrupt cops asking for money. Just imagine how bad it would get when they start asking for people's cars.

Leave things the way they are. Farangs often over-state the traffic problems in Thailand. I feel safer driving in Bangkok than in San Francisco or Los Angeles.

Those of you who want to hand over more power to the government/police should move back to home (Europe/US/Oz). There you have these strict laws laid out for you to embrace.

I think the opposite from you, I felt a lot more safer driving in Los Angeles and San Francisco than driving in Bangkok.

• Like 1

cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

PS - Come to Chiang Mai you 'pussys' in BKK who are complaining about scooters delaying you getting to your next Latte/Chardonnay. Being tailgated or overtaken in the bike-lane by a big 4WD/UTE doing 120+km on a local road (not a highway) - NOW THAT'S A KNIFE !!! whistling.gif

The department of motor vehicles does not have computerized license records for two good reasons. One, influential people would show up on the radar with unregistered imports. Two, it would prevent graft, and at policeman's pay (so low many have to buy their own gun and motorcycle) no one could afford to be a cop.

Revoking the licenses sounds like a good idea, but they do not even have unique plate numbers, to make the whole mess even less transparent. I can have a plate with the exact same number as someone in Surin, with the only difference being the very small Thai writing that identifies the issuing Amphur.

The whole system is deliberately rigged and everyone knows it.

Revoking a licences, yes a good idea if they actually have a licences to revoke...

Start taking the vehicles off the road, and if the fines are not paid in 3 weeks crush them.

• Like 2

I would like to see it go further stoped at check point

No driving licence car impounded

No insurance car impounded

Not road worthy car impounded

car or motorbike only returned when all legal requirements are met.

They would need a bloody big impound yard.

And if the violations are particularly egregious, what about crushing said vehicle?

• Like 1

You must be joking. Even if they suspend the cars plaque or do all that you say! What difference would it make. Most checkpoints that catch you without your yearly sticker or without a license or insurance will just add bribe money to let them release you back on the road again... First they need to get real cops on the road who are not doing their job to make a fast buck. Then maybe laws can be made that will be enforced

'... an amendment to the land traffic law to empower traffic police to suspend the use of the vehicle in case of traffic offence ...' Might that include Master Red Bull's daddy-bought Ferrari? Nope! Daft question, really.

'... regularly break traffic rules including riding motorbike crossing flyovers which is not allowed ...' Nor is pavement (sidewalk) riding, but the clampdown on that proved, predictably, to be a one-day wonder.

In the last year or so motobikes using flyovers have become quite bad there are signs showing restrictions but now you have bikes between the wall and you just about touching your left door. also there has been an increase of bikes on the big bridges going over the river quite often slowing traffic in the left lane.

The worst thing here is these motocyclists follw like sheep if one goes the rest follows and normally get away with it.

If this were to happen and was actually enforced....

It would be a bold leap into the 20th century for Thailand.

Unsafe parking practices alone ( double parking, blocking traffic) that create definite safety hazards, can cost about over 14000 baht after paying towing, storage and impounding of a car in my home country.

Think of how good all the new work for tow trucks, drivers and impound yards would help the economy!

Money is the main motivator for Thais...this may get them to think about what they are doing!

Avoiding the high cost of impounded vehicles might make it worth while to park in a safe place and walk 20 meters to your favorite store!

Now, think of what this could do to improve the situation with unsafe driving and unsafe vehicles.

Thailand could become a safe place to travel!

Since it is currently the 21 century...

A leap into the 20th should not shake up too many Thai people.

• Like 2

The department of motor vehicles does not have computerized license records for two good reasons. One, influential people would show up on the radar with unregistered imports. Two, it would prevent graft, and at policeman's pay (so low many have to buy their own gun and motorcycle) no one could afford to be a cop.

Revoking the licenses sounds like a good idea, but they do not even have unique plate numbers, to make the whole mess even less transparent. I can have a plate with the exact same number as someone in Surin, with the only difference being the very small Thai writing that identifies the issuing Amphur.

The whole system is deliberately rigged and everyone knows it.

Revoking a licences, yes a good idea if they actually have a licences to revoke...

Start taking the vehicles off the road, and if the fines are not paid in 3 weeks crush them.

Better yet, auction the decent ones off to licenced, insured drivers.

• Like 1

You must be joking. Even if they suspend the cars plaque or do all that you say! What difference would it make. Most checkpoints that catch you without your yearly sticker or without a license or insurance will just add bribe money to let them release you back on the road again... First they need to get real cops on the road who are not doing their job to make a fast buck. Then maybe laws can be made that will be enforced

If they were to pay law enforcement enough. that taking bribes is not worth the risk of losing the job and not necessary for the officers to support their families, they could build a good police force.

The root of the corruption is the low pay.

Money generated from impounding the vehicles of traffic offenders could be used to increase pay.

This would also motivate the officers to enforce the laws.

• Like 2