Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew still in ICU: government

webfact

Singapore's Lee Kuan Yew still in ICU: government

SINGAPORE (AFP) - Singapore's founding prime minister Lee Kuan Yew has been put on antibiotics and remains in intensive care at a government hospital, the Prime Minister's Office said in a statement Thursday.

The update came after the government had to quash widespread rumours late Wednesday that the 91-year-old patriarch had died.

"He remains sedated and on mechanical ventilation. His doctors have restarted him on antibiotics, and are continuing to monitor him closely," the government statement said.

Lee, co-founder of the People’s Action Party which has governed Singapore since 1959, was brought to Singapore General Hospital on February 5 for severe pneumonia.

The British-trained lawyer, the father of current prime minister Lee Hsien Loong, is widely credited with transforming Singapore from an economic backwater to a rich economy in just over three decades.

Source: http://www.nationmultimedia.com/breakingnews/Singapores-Lee-Kuan-Yew-still-in-ICU-government-30254887.html

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2015-02-26

I lived under him a long time. I loved the old Singapore in the 1970's and 80's. What he and others did was needed at the time and they did a good job. Nobody remembers the Commies or the Triad controlled areas now. But they had power then and they were dealt with. However, like most Hakkas he went too far in his personal cult control of the populace. His death may provide a reprieve for the average Singaporean who sincerely need it. KIV, under him the PAP (his Party) came to stand for Pay And Pay and, boy, did the Singaporeans pay and pay and still do. All in all though a man for his time.

Contrast and compare economic growth, standards of living, governance (and corruption levels) and economic prospects of Singapore, Malaysia and Thailand at the time S'pore split from Malaysia and now. Pretty good for "Harry" Lee on that comparison. Had to happen some day but I will be sorry if this is the end for a very effective leader.

Edited by laocowboy2
  • Like 1

I lived under him a long time. I loved the old Singapore in the 1970's and 80's. What he and others did was needed at the time and they did a good job. Nobody remembers the Commies or the Triad controlled areas now. But they had power then and they were dealt with. However, like most Hakkas he went too far in his personal cult control of the populace. His death may provide a reprieve for the average Singaporean who sincerely need it. KIV, under him the PAP (his Party) came to stand for Pay And Pay and, boy, did the Singaporeans pay and pay and still do. All in all though a man for his time.

Certainly, Singapore is the most modern city in all of ASEAN. Clean streets, excellent transport system both surface and underground.

I always enjoy going there, even though it's tough on the wallet.

My first visit was in 1965. see photos. Things have changed!

post-111567-0-63832200-1424949623_thumb.

post-111567-0-30703300-1424949652_thumb.

I too have lived there with it being a bit of a paradox, I enjoyed it immensely with there being heaps to do, it is indeed clean and safe, with the transport being cheap and efficient.

But the contradiction comes when you speak to the normal native Singaporean, I have been surprised several times at the dissatisfaction with how the country has developed. With the import of cheap labor from India, the Philippines and more recently Bangladesh, the local labor has been priced out of the market and pushed down wages. Before you all jump on me yes it is true the local labor for years did not want to do the "menial jobs" and that was why there was a market for cheap foreigners. That is now changing with the numbers of foreign workers being reduced drastically, and the local and more educated Singaporeans now doing jobs they never dream't of. It may still be progress but not everyone is happy with it.

Not all Singaporeans drive BMW's and Mercedes (and many of the ones that do also stay in one bedroom HDB housing, all to do with status!) the less well off are generally not happy with their lot so it may not be the lucky country we all imagine.

I lived in Geylang, lorong enam, in the early seventies.

All I can say is that Mr Lee took what was a shoothole and turned it into a place for the Singaporean people to be proud to live in.

I can still remember vividly staying in the old Raffles hotel in 1979 (when it was painted grey and well before its upmarket renovation) and being taken to Bugis Street in a bicycle rickshaw. The rickshaw rider couldn't speak English but produced a well worn card from his pocket describing some of the events I was to witness when I would arrive at Bugis Street laugh.png

I think when he took over, Singapore was as poor and economically undeveloped as most African countries at that time. I dare say, not one African country can match what Singapore has achieved since then.

The fast pace of progress has it's casualties.

Money is the king. The people lacks spirituality and culture in their rush for progress and education. They did not take time off to smell the roses.

you must read different news than me. in the news i read, spirituality is causing the casualties in many countries around the globe.

Edited by koo wallety tourist

The fast pace of progress has it's casualties.

Money is the king. The people lacks spirituality and culture in their rush for progress and education. They did not take time off to smell the roses.

you must read different news than me. in the news i read, spirituality is causing the casualties in many countries around the globe.

The quest for power and control is the cause for conflicts, not spirituality.

Spirituality is what links lives, seen for example in the looks in the eyes of a cat or dog with its master.

What LKY did and the foundations he laid for S'pore have been and will be the subject of case studies for years.

What really impressed me are his vision, his leadership and his intellect.

I rate him as the top statesman, worldwide, over the last 50 years.

If only Thailand had a LKY ....

• Like 1

What LKY did and the foundations he laid for S'pore have been and will be the subject of case studies for years.

What really impressed me are his vision, his leadership and his intellect.

I rate him as the top statesman, worldwide, over the last 50 years.

If only Thailand had a LKY ....

He probably would not turn 40 leading Thailand.

I lived in Geylang, lorong enam, in the early seventies.

All I can say is that Mr Lee took what was a shoothole and turned it into a place for the Singaporean people to be proud to live in.

I can still remember vividly staying in the old Raffles hotel in 1979 (when it was painted grey and well before its upmarket renovation) and being taken to Bugis Street in a bicycle rickshaw. The rickshaw rider couldn't speak English but produced a well worn card from his pocket describing some of the events I was to witness when I would arrive at Bugis Street laugh.png

I spent many happy nights in Bugis street in the late 1960s and early 1970s and the worst thing about Bugis Street was fighting your way through the katoeys to get to the toilet and it won the first prize for the worst toilet in Singpore for many years.

I went back once in 1994 and I had no idea where I was.

The other ranks club (the Britannia club was opposite the Raffles and a stones throw from the sea. Now you need a long range rocket launcher to hit the sea from the Brit club.

Edited by billd766