after the trat border crossing into Cambodia, then what?

wondercul

4-5 hours to PP? In a taxi maybe but not in a bus. More like 7.

Look at a map of Cambodia and state which cities you feel are good and which ones are bad.

Do you actually know where you want to go?

No. I thought that was implied since I didn't state a city.

edit:

I was kind of hoping for a small city on the way to Phnom Penh.

Edited by wondercul

Firstly, the border is at Hat Lek, about 80 minutes by minibus from Trat. Once you cross the border (preferably with an evisa to avoid the immigration surcharge) you can take a motorbike taxi or tuktuk to Koh Kong town. As already said, Koh Kong is a nice, sleepy little town and has some OK beaches (these are back across the bridge towards the Thai border, the best is near Crab Shack). From KK you can take a bus to Sihanoukville (about 6 hours) or Phnom Penh (about 7 hours). From SHV to PP the bus takes about 6 hours. Taxis and minibuses are about 20% quicker. You can also get a minibus from KK to Kampot which is a nice town (6 hours). Kampot to PP is about 4 hours by bus.

From PP it takes about 7 hours to Siem Reap which is probably the best place to visit in Cambodia. The only other Cambodian places worth a look are Mondulkiri and Rattanakiri provinces, both about 12 hours from PP by bus. Beware malaria up in the north-east.

Enjoy.