What Is The Best Place In Phuket?

grim_marmazet

Depends on your needs.

Most expats live in Nai Harn - great beaches /Chalong - great restaurants / Rawai - okay nightlife and these areas are all within 5 minutes of each other on the South of the island.

Kata is a very touristy area and not many people live there, although many good restaurants and beaches.

Karon is okay but a bit of a no man's land - more of an area to drive through to get to somewhere else as opposed to a place to live.

Patong is crazyville, beach is saturated with extras, a great place to holiday but it takes a fella with a hardened heart to live there for any length of time.

Kamala is ok but don't expect to keep a dog for many months, again more of a place to pass through.

Surin / Bang Tao is a more high class holiday / residential area, most housing is in the million dollar category, good beaches and restaurants.

Phuket City (cough) is a royal pain in the a.ss for traffic, seems no time of the day is a good time to drive into /out of it. Good nightlife/restaurants.

East coast is becoming more popular but beaches aren't anywhere near as nice as on the west.

Nai Thon is beautiful but far far away from anything.

best bet? put up a tent in the big C carpark.

Im just curious as to where people think is the best spot in Phuket to live. Be it either, to run a business, just general living, for the beauty of the area, or the the nightlife. Whatever you reason, post the place and why.

Kathu, two golf courses within 4 kilometres. Doesn’t get any better

Cheers………Kandt :o

Depends on your needs.

Most expats live in Nai Harn - great beaches /Chalong - great restaurants / Rawai - okay nightlife and these areas are all within 5 minutes of each other on the South of the island.

Kata is a very touristy area and not many people live there, although many good restaurants and beaches.

Karon is okay but a bit of a no man's land - more of an area to drive through to get to somewhere else as opposed to a place to live.

Patong is crazyville, beach is saturated with extras, a great place to holiday but it takes a fella with a hardened heart to live there for any length of time.

Kamala is ok but don't expect to keep a dog for many months, again more of a place to pass through.

Surin / Bang Tao is a more high class holiday / residential area, most housing is in the million dollar category, good beaches and restaurants.

Phuket City (cough) is a royal pain in the a.ss for traffic, seems no time of the day is a good time to drive into /out of it. Good nightlife/restaurants.

East coast is becoming more popular but beaches aren't anywhere near as nice as on the west.

Nai Thon is beautiful but far far away from anything.

best bet? put up a tent in the big C carpark.

I like Chalong, no too "farangified", some nice places to go eat/drink. Fairly central to get to any of the more lively spots (Phuket _town_, Kata/Karon) and not too far from Phukets "Blackpool" aka Patong.

Rawai and Nai Harn are ok, but a bit too far away from the social scene, a lot of ex-pats live down that way which has recently caused a surge in rental prices, for what i pay for a nice two bedroom house in chalong would have got me a sh1tty box in rawai. Couple of nice bars (real bars, not girlie bars) in rawai, just remember to check your bill before you pay it.

Patong, well you can keep it in my opinion, good to go there for a night out with the lads, but i wouldnt live there if you paid me. Phuket "Town" is ok, but far too busy, noisey and smelly for my likeing. Further North than Phuket town and patong, i couldnt really say, im more of a south person myself.

What are you looking for?

Thanks for the info, im moving there this year, and wanted to find out where was a good place to settle. I agree that Patong is a place for a holiday, no more. I will take the advice, thank you.

Would I be correct in saying the Nai Harn/Chalong areas are the best places for a not so loaded expat, who wants a bit more of a real Thai experience, and not too much hassle from tourists?

Would I be correct in saying the Nai Harn/Chalong areas are the best places for a not so loaded expat, who wants a bit more of a real Thai experience, and not too much hassle from tourists?

Spot on mate. I was renting a nice 2 bedroom place in Chalong for 9,000 baht / month. I've now downgraded to a 1 bedroom 4,000 baht place in Rawai. Not too touristy, in fact this high season practically passed us by without any notice.

Which was nice.

Correct, despite all the housing developments ongoing in the area it will remain the most non-touristic area with low prices and cheap living.

Enjoy your time when you get here.

Cheers........kandt :o:D

Excellent, just what i wanted. :D

Thanks for the info, been a great help.

Im going to be setting up a venture, a bit of a surprise for now, but its definitlye something Phuket doesnt have yet. :o

Hey,

it's not a bar with ladies that will have sex with you for money is it?

Bash

Excellent, just what i wanted.  :D

Im going to be setting up a venture, a bit of a surprise for now, but its definitlye something Phuket doesnt have yet.  :o

Hey,

Bash

Wow, what a good idea, i dont think i saw one of those! lol

Na, its quiet for now, but all will be revealed soon.

Im going to be setting up a venture, a bit of a surprise for now, but its definitlye something Phuket doesnt have yet.  :o

Hey,

Bash

Jeez ... if we hurry, we might beat him to it :D

Hey,

Bash

Jeez ... if we hurry, we might beat him to it :D

######, i'll have to think of something else now! Aw, and i had my heart set on it. lol :D

I understand the land has been purchased for the water park at Kalim - it is an Aussie developer, but everytime I drive past that area, nothing has been started???

I heard the Aussie gang pulled out as the Thai part of the waterslide team went from an original budget of , oh I can't remember, to some crazy azzed budget 15 times the first figure I couldn't remember....or something like that.

God I'm crap at gossip.

• 3 weeks later...
Excellent, just what i wanted. :D

Im going to be setting up a venture, a bit of a surprise for now, but its definitlye something Phuket doesnt have yet. :o

Is it a rabbit farm like in that book by John Steinbeck ?

Isnt that new development just outside of Karon supposed to become a water park of some description? Cant seem to see any slides or stuff but that doesnt mean they are not coming...

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee...... Water slides, its like being 10 years old again, cant wait :o