What has surprised you in Thailand?

garrya

Note: Sometimes, it’s shocking to know what Thais talked about us foreigners.

This would have been a much more interesting post..."What have your heard Thais say about foreigners that surprised you?"

• Like 1

My Biggest Surprise was that I saw Kraft Velveeta Cheese in one store that I accidentally ventured into one day. I had lived here for about 7 years by then and never saw it anywhere else in all this time.

My Biggest Non-surprise was that after buying all 6 of them and paying over $50 I came back time and time again to the same store but never saw it their again.

After about 3 months I came back but this time with the empty box and asked the person working in that area, using My Thai Wife as translator, when they expected to get some more. This shop is out of my area so I was going there mostly to buy this cheese.

Well, this person, who BTW was stocking that refrigerator with milk and cheese, said she never saw that before and that they don't sell it. Not getting satisfaction from this I then asked politely if I could speak to the Manager, in which she brought him to me.

I again asked the same question and again I got the same answer, but from the Manager this time. Which he stated that he never saw that Cheese before, even when I and my wife said we bought that their, and added that they don't sell it.

About 6 weeks later, I had to go to a bank close-by and thought I would pop into this store one more time to get a few things. And there sat my Velveeta Cheese again, which surprisingly, did not surprise me.

I have been here for 18 months not that long compare to many. But unlike many that have been here far longer than me, I have my eyes open.

LOS land of smiles ..... what a joke that is. I don't like Thai people. Used to think they were wonderful, but the rose tinted glasses fell off.

Show the dollar bill and you are special. Keep it in your pocket, you are scum.

show respect ,live a normal life ,be kind ,helpful ,in your village ,your get it back ,don't need to show one $

Yes I live in a small village called Bangkok. It takes me 15-20 minutes to walk to the supermarket.

In that 15-20 minutes I have to walk often in the road because the sidewalk is full of food stalls.

I have to zig zag along what parts of the pavements I can use to avoid parked cars and motorbikes.

I went to the shop a while ago. A mother was trying to cross the road with her daughter who was about 6. Now there was a car at the front of the road trying to turn right and was slowly edging out. This person behind who could have stopped and let the mother and daughter cross didn't because he didn't want the gap to get any bigger than 2cm from the car in front.

Pure ignorance and it is a trait of Thai people. No one has time for anyone else. It may well be a big city thing. But I really would have little interest living in a village.

catch the bus

I was very surprised to find packs of 2 pre cooked boiled eggs in 7-11

This find changed my life to such an extent

Took me 8 years to learn that.

no they havent been around for 8 years. perhaps 2 years. they got singles too . singles being an even more recent addition perhaps 1 year

Edited by koo wallety tourist

I have been here for 18 months not that long compare to many. But unlike many that have been here far longer than me, I have my eyes open.

LOS land of smiles ..... what a joke that is. I don't like Thai people. Used to think they were wonderful, but the rose tinted glasses fell off.

Show the dollar bill and you are special. Keep it in your pocket, you are scum.

show respect ,live a normal life ,be kind ,helpful ,in your village ,your get it back ,don't need to show one $

Yes I live in a small village called Bangkok. It takes me 15-20 minutes to walk to the supermarket.

In that 15-20 minutes I have to walk often in the road because the sidewalk is full of food stalls.

I have to zig zag along what parts of the pavements I can use to avoid parked cars and motorbikes.

I went to the shop a while ago. A mother was trying to cross the road with her daughter who was about 6. Now there was a car at the front of the road trying to turn right and was slowly edging out. This person behind who could have stopped and let the mother and daughter cross didn't because he didn't want the gap to get any bigger than 2cm from the car in front.

Pure ignorance and it is a trait of Thai people. No one has time for anyone else. It may well be a big city thing. But I really would have little interest living in a village.

catch the bus

Good idea. If only I didn't have to walk past those same food stalls and cross those same roads.

But you see at the end of the day I am not talking about me. I mention a Thai woman with a Thai child being totally ignored.

I am a good road crosser. I can and have walked across roads the world over. Many people worry where by I just go. I often have Thai's follow me like sheep across a road, some almost getting hit because they see me cross and don't feel the need to look for themselves.

Edited by berybert

What surprised me most is after having two wonderful children with an amazing Thai partner and living with all in both Thailand, Ireland, Canada, and the US, I still feel the best place to raise them is Thailand. Currently residing in the US sitting here with a cup of coffee while the wife and little one are soundly sleeping awaiting the work day to begin and thinking what the future would hold if we were to live in this spot for the rest of our lives. Not. As "multi" cultural as they want to believe they are it takes only a few moments to realize that you are the elephant in the room when they see a me (white) and my wife (Thai) with the fake smile and the usual greeting of "does she speak English"!

Thailand has its issues for sure but for me and my family it is the better option. My wife prefers Ireland but i am sure my wishes will prevail.....Galway is in Thailand, right?

Meanwhile, back to topic.

What has surprised me in Thailand is the bitterness of expats on this forum.

MAkes you wonder why they continue to stay in Thailand

Is there ANY thread on TV that does not eventually include this comment?

what has surprised me over the years is the number of completely dysfunctional foreigners who are living in the country,

yeah everywhere I have worked in "foreign" countries, you get the odd 1 or 2 nut jobs who have arrived on a banana boat, but Thailand must the be the regional hub for "broken"/disturbed/dysfunctional foreigners. there many who should be in padded cells for their own protection.

and then we have the another demographic of those who have have never traveled outside their own country until the prospect of a cheap available women grew too strong for them and they up root themselves and transplant themselves to Nakon Nowhere shacked up with some bint,with splayed toes and a trick pelvis who gave them the goo goo eyes and promised to love them long time and they are absolutely clueless

Where exactly do you meet these completely dysfunctional foreigners, and what are you doing in those places?

Dear boy, one only has to open ones eyes in many public places in the major population centers in the country, to see this.

unless of course you live in Nakom Nowhere per the second demographic and you would be forgiven for not seeing this

BOY????????? You call me BOY????????

Are you suggesting that I am from Africa?

<deleted>

I have lived in BKK, Bangsaen and Chanthaburi, but obviously never frequented the places where you hang around.

Greetings from Africa. No-one is mistaking your for an African, and you certainly aren't black, so how do you manage to get "insulted" by such simple use of the word? And who uses 'boy' anymore?

b0c1c81f628d4ea34211646d8b62c3c5c8f0f1e8

• Like 1

A disguised moaning thread, same old, same old.

I'm surprised anyone would think this is not something it is.

Yes. You are right. Your post shows the same old, same old attitude.Where is your bitterness coming from?
What are you talking about, I merely pointed out that this is a moaning thread in disguise, typical tvf stuff really. Now the bitterness is coming from the people that can't accept certain things one way or another. I'd suggest those people can be unhappy no matter where they live.

Suck it up and move on and this thread can be filed in the trash with the rest of them.

Where are you from Gary, post it up and if I've been there I will moan about what I didn't like from there and hopefully thousands of others come and do the same, see how you like it.

Plenty offensive Thai bashing nonsense on this forum, shiiiitliads of it. Time for some people to build a bridge and f u d g e offf me thinks wink.png

So what? Some people have negative opinions about Thailand, and others have positive. What's your problem with that? Why does it hurt you? I don't get it. Why are you reading threads in which people have opposing ideas to yours?

If you happened to read through the posts, you would find loads of interesting things, not just Thai bashing.

Actually, if youmlooknto the top of this quote you will see that it's you that is attacking me claimingbthat I am bitter for stating my opinion. Of course my opinion was that this is just another bash thread in poor disguise.

So why did you need to attack me with the bitterness comment just because I voiced my opinion ?

Some of you internet people are priceless the way you start something then just within a couple of quotes spin it around just like you did above. Classic.

Now as I said before, there's plenty of Thai bashing on this forum and here goes yet another thread with more of threats old same old. You don't have a problem with it then fine but I'm sure you might get annoyed if there were umpteen squillion threads mocking your home country. You failed to answer my question earlier, so I put it to you this way, what slimey little sheethole of a country did you crawl out of? Let's start mocking that hole and disguise a few threads about the real purpose for creation of such a thread and see how that goes.

Now go back to the first post of mine above. I simply called this for what it is.

You are right, there's a couple of excellent posts in this thread, they were written by VILLAGEFARANG and GERRY1011 just above on page 4. Suck it up.

Edited by neverdie
  • Like 1

Reading the numerous and various horror stories on this blog, I would be scared sh**less to set foot outside the hotel!But seeing the local side of Thai life first hand, I think there is far more good people than not. Most simply struggling to make a life day by day. I've learned quickly that it's the same as in the West, show respect and you earn get respect. A farang with humility in Thailand oftentimes is the happiest in my view.

Edited by jerojero
  • Like 1

Greetings from Africa. No-one is mistaking your for an African, and you certainly aren't black, so how do you manage to get "insulted" by such simple use of the word? And who uses 'boy' anymore?

its ok, the Sangoma has been consulted and the bones have been thrown, a tokoloshe has been dispatched to haunt his dreams...

post-64799-0-88842700-1425168578_thumb.p

post-64799-0-58119000-1425168788_thumb.p

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Maybe their bitterness is not caused by Thailand, they are just simply bitter people, who would be bitter anywhere? Of course "escaping" to paradise, and finding out that paradise is not perfect, makes things worse.

Enjoy life while it lasts, don't mess it up for the others, and occasionally lend a helping hand to others... a great philosophy (I got that from a movie).

Dear boy, one only has to open ones eyes in many public places in the major population centers in the country, to see this.

unless of course you live in Nakom Nowhere per the second demographic and you would be forgiven for not seeing this

<deleted>

I have lived in BKK, Bangsaen and Chanthaburi, but obviously never frequented the places where you hang around.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

There is much more to Soutpeel's answer than you realize.

Compulsive baiting.

I can't be bothered to explain.

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Edited by nidieunimaitre

Try the GPS section?

<deleted>

There is much more to Soutpeel's answer than you realize.

Compulsive baiting.

I can't be bothered to explain.

Only in your head dear boy...woops I did it again..stop looking for hidden meanings

there isn't any

you took offense to a very innocent phrase which didn't infer anything and you came across as a complete ass to the point of displaying blatant racism

Edited by Soutpeel
  • Like 1

Only in your head dear boy...woops I did it again..stop looking for hidden meanings

there isn't any

you took offense to a very innocent phrase which didn't infer anything and you came across as a complete ass to the point of displaying blatant racism

The expression "blatant racism" is coincidence?

That and the boy thing = QUOD ERAT DEMONSTRANDUM

I rest my case.

Surprise again.

Lost 2kb on a dance floor last night, simply dropped out of my pocket. And someone put them back over night. Probably my gf, an ex-bargirl.

Songkarn is Thai New Year.

Compare statistics of accidents with those for Farang New Year, Thailand will again be off better.

When I was first considering retiring in Asia, it was between the Philippines and Thailand.

I joined up the CEBU forum, and read page after page of racist comments, moaning, groaning, complaints, and I really couldn't understand why these folk had ever left the USA.

That decided me to move to Thailand. I joined the Chiang Mai and Thailand Fora.

No further comment, other than to say that it's nice that there are a few altruistic folk in this community, who are genuinely trying to help those who want to be helped. wai2.gif

Try the GPS section?

Nah, it'll probably be: "Put your GPS on E and get the F out of Thailand". tongue.png

(The original is from New York Air Traffic Control to a general aviation aircraft failing to follow instructions.

"Put your compass on E and get the F out of my airspace.")

The biggest surprise was the low cost of living in towns outside the tourist areas.

After spending a short vacation before moving here permanently, I researched prices in BK, Chiang Mai, Hua Hin, Pattaya, etc, and moved expecting to spend at least 1200 EU/month between rent and food. I do not drink, do not smoke, and I do no frequent bars. Never paid for sex too.

But, I like gardening and nice surroundings, and I cannot live in any condominium, just houses. After many days looking around Chiang Mai, and frustrated with prices and conditions, I found a small modern house by the Phayao lake, about 1 hour from Chiang Rai and 2 hours from Chiang Mai, with a rental cost of just 80 EU/month, with free 3BB internet. A small paradise. Cooking my self, but with sporadic stops in restaurants and coffee shops, sometimes with other foreigners living and working here. Even meeting and dating 2 to 3 times a week, sometimes getting the bus and paying hotel in nearby cities, using my motorbike just to get around my home, my total monthly living expenses were no more of 400 EU/month.

Now, married, and living in a bigger house, my spending is double of that, but still very cheap.

Another surprise. The low cost of plane tickets to fly inside Thailand and to other close Asian countries. I was not expecting to have enough savings to do that. I took the chance to go to Indonesia, Philippines and Burma for short vacations.

Life in Thailand is a lot better than I was expecting...in every sense.

Edited by Muzarella
  • Like 2

My biggest surprise came on day number 3 of my visit here. Being a prolific breaker of wind in my home country, I let rip with what I thought was a discreet, yet pressure realising guff, on beach road, and to my dismay found I had shat myself. I love my chicken with basil leaves and as such I have now learned to not be so free and easy with my wind breaking. Weather this makes me a better person, I know not