"On The Road Again"....... Anti Virus Programs & More

lostinisaan

Hello and Sabi Dee Boo? wai2.gif

I've got for computers backed up right now, by using "Acronis True Image 2014". Backup and Restore" and even cloning a whole disc, within a very short period of time.,including the sections of the HD's,

After listening to better jokes like " A virus has been detected" as seen at freaking "Avast.' Too many TVF members rely on that shitty program.

So after going through almost all available software, including Kaspersky's finest, AVG, all available versions and many others, I read an article about AV software for a computer. facepalm.gif

I put NOD 32 -8 on my Pc, and NOD 32 -7 on my Dell notebook, that's already an old timer. Old, but good. .............

NOD 32, the 8 pro version found 178, partly dangerous viruses and Trojan horses. No idea if my computer's faster now, but something tells me that it's using less memory.thumbsup.gif

Anybody here on this forum, who's running this VERSION" CAN"T BE TRUE THAT kASPERSKY DIDN'T FIND SO MANY UNWANTED GUESTS.......bah.gif ..

P.S. I'm running Windows Defender, NOD 32 and Malwarebytes Pro. Never encountered a problem.

Please share your experience to make the Cyber World to a Better One. ----wai2.gif

This is AVTest Independent IT-Security Institute. For 2015, Eset actually rates lower than Avast!. http://www.av-test.org/en/antivirus/home-windows/

You need to be aware that AV capabilites vary from year to year and even month to month. What may be at the top today may not be tomorrow.

There're so many "researches" about the best ones. Is it possible that it depends on who's doing the "research?"

I'll give it a try and can always go back to Kaspersky. BTW, thanks.

In the past I have used AVG free, Avira free, Kaspersky paid, Symantec trial, Nod paid and most recently free Avast.

AVG I found the slowest most problematical/resource hungry, did not get on with Symantec, Kaspersky ok, was very happy with Nod for 3 years on one pc but have now been using Avast for last couple of years and no issues (touch wood) apart from vaguely annoying pop up ads to upgrade to the paid for service.

In conclusion I think it is more what suits you and your system.

i am thinking malbytes antimalware is a darn good free one

but YES some catch things that others don't and some may be false positives

having said that, my malbytes antimalware wont load today and i went through all of the chameleon tests

so back to square one

is Kaspersky the best pay for program?

also loading newer software versions on xp is no easy task (a back up machine)

i wanted to go back to avira but could not install

and man take a look at the policies these days

you loose ALL privacy

having said that, my malbytes antimalware wont load today and i went through all of the chameleon tests

so back to square one

you loose ALL privacy

Malwarebytes has a special tool to remove Mbam from your system completely which includes all its registry keys. Suggest you use that to uninstall it and then reinstall it using a fresh downloaded setup file.

N.B. The uninstaller also removes your license information. So make a note of that before you run the uninstaller if you have the paid for version.

In addition, I suggest you install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to prevent drive-by malware infections. More on that here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

• Like 1

excellent, thank you, that old xp machine gets worse and worse,slower and slower, maybe infected with something or other

i suspect a good deal of the anti virus anti malware programs are or have PUP's

when i tried to install avira, microsoft .net client tried to install itself, <deleted>???

installation unsuccessful anyway

baidau (spelling) takes forever to scan and never finds a thing

so back to square one

you loose ALL privacy

Malwarebytes has a special tool to remove Mbam from your system completely which includes all its registry keys. Suggest you use that to uninstall it and then reinstall it using a fresh downloaded setup file.

N.B. The uninstaller also removes your license information. So make a note of that before you run the uninstaller if you have the paid for version.

In addition, I suggest you install Malwarebytes Anti-Exploit to prevent drive-by malware infections. More on that here: https://www.malwarebytes.org/antiexploit/

Thanks to you i was able to uninstall and reinstall with a few error messages along the way.

Spy bot flagged baidu toolbar or such and it removed some annoying processes that can not be stopped in task manager but after the reboot they came back.

I should uninstall baidu as well but currently it is the only program with real time protection i have for online use on the xp machine.

I am pretty sure the system has been compromised in one or more ways.

Currently scanning with malwarebytes.

(sorry for the spelling)

Is there no reason to be concerned that Kaspersky is Russian?

Ever since I read this article I stopped using it. Paranoia?

LINK

Additional from Wired.com Link Link

"Technically, Kaspersky is probably the most sophisticated information security organization. They caught both Stuxnet and Flame (super-sophisticated, state-sponsored super viruses designed to avoid capture) before anyone else. They offer a great product at a great price, with half decent support. On top of that, Eugene Kaspersky is Russia’s version of Bill Gates meets Steve Jobs. In short, he’s a tech-savvy genius with a personality, and now he’s one of the richest men in Russia. So why should you avoid using Kaspersky like the plague?"

"...But in fact, Kaspersky is run from Moscow, and Eugene is not behind bars, which is all the proof that anyone needs: Kaspersky–the man and the company–works with Putin and his crime organization."

• Like 2

Is there no reason to be concerned that Kaspersky is Russian?

Ever since I read this article I stopped using it. Paranoia?

LINK

Additional from Wired.com Link Link

"Technically, Kaspersky is probably the most sophisticated information security organization. They caught both Stuxnet and Flame (super-sophisticated, state-sponsored super viruses designed to avoid capture) before anyone else. They offer a great product at a great price, with half decent support. On top of that, Eugene Kaspersky is Russia’s version of Bill Gates meets Steve Jobs. In short, he’s a tech-savvy genius with a personality, and now he’s one of the richest men in Russia. So why should you avoid using Kaspersky like the plague?"

"...But in fact, Kaspersky is run from Moscow, and Eugene is not behind bars, which is all the proof that anyone needs: Kaspersky–the man and the company–works with Putin and his crime organization."

Thanks for the useful information. Yep, I know it's a Russian product and had a Master Program to reset all Kaspersky products from a trial to a 389 day version.

But then there're problems that you couldn't run the same program on the same network, when my hard drive died, my "tool" got lost as well.

It must have been from one of his technicians, available on the "bay" for quite a long time. You really gave me some serious thoughts.

Keep your nice posts coming, please. thumbsup.gif

Edited by lostinisaan
  • Like 1

This is going to sound outrageous, but I've never had a malware infection. Of course I'm careful what I run or click on, but all I'm running right now is Windows Defender, Win 8.1 with all latest updates to Windows, Office 2003 and Defender.

Occassionaly I download and run a scan with something or other that's recommended and the most they can find are two .exe files that I know aren't bad but give false positives, and some tracking cookies.

That's it.

PS. Of course I have a router which is the best firewall one can have without going crazy. (A router will reject anything that it didn't request on the lan or the 'net. It will simply destroy the packets.)

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

on my xp i deleted baidu but had to use THEIR uninstall

tried comando and it found two, i believe, false positives, but not sure

i like false positives

at least the software is doing something

avira used to be like that but impossible to install and use on xp now from only one try though

just reading their policy was enough to scare me off it

they are all getting more and more intrusive i think

I have settled on NOD 32 for over 2 years now on my work laptop, very happy. Added malwarebytes just before Christmas and feel that this combo is more than adequate.

For now.

On the machines at home, I usually run the latest AVG free without issues but added malwarebytes recently as well.

• Like 1

NOD is past, got back to Kaspersky and installed SpyHunter 4..Turned Windows Defender on and I'm more than happy about the result.

P.S. And I'm still using AVG Tune Up 2015 from time to time.

Edited by lostinisaan

NOD is past, got back to Kaspersky and installed SpyHunter 4..Turned Windows Defender on and I'm more than happy about the result.

As noted earlier, which AV is best can vary from season to season and patch to patch. I will admit that my first annual renewal of NOD was such a clusterf*ck that I nearly ditched them. However, the last renewal was a dawdle so sticking with them for now. I initially went with them because of the speed at which it located and destroyed nasty stuff on some SD memory cards that I was dealing with at the time. I had Webroot prior to that and it said they were all clean. Once again, in the few years I had been using Webroot prior to that failing, it had been doing a good enough job. I also like the very decisive way that NOD detects and handles the bad attachment in spam email; no confusing and perilous "good or bad?.. you decide" options offered.

I only tried Kaspersky once about 4 years ago and after the rather lengthy installation and configuration, it totally firewalled me from the internet and was buggered if I could train it or force it to let me connect. This was on a very remote, satellite connection which was slow enough anyway so uninstall and reboot!

The AVG free installations on the 'public use' machines at home does a decent job but I just noticed on a new 2015 version installation here that the frequency of pop-ups suggesting I try the Tune Up and some of their other 'try then buy' products is annoyingly high and the option to hide their 'store front' banner on their main application interface window has gone. Minor annoyances but a change nonetheless to more in-your-face, pop-up advertising masquerading as 'system advice'.

• Like 1

As noted earlier, which AV is best can vary from season to season and patch to patch. I will admit that my first annual renewal of NOD was such a clusterf*ck that I nearly ditched them. However, the last renewal was a dawdle so sticking with them for now. I initially went with them because of the speed at which it located and destroyed nasty stuff on some SD memory cards that I was dealing with at the time. I had Webroot prior to that and it said they were all clean. Once again, in the few years I had been using Webroot prior to that failing, it had been doing a good enough job. I also like the very decisive way that NOD detects and handles the bad attachment in spam email; no confusing and perilous "good or bad?.. you decide" options offered.

I only tried Kaspersky once about 4 years ago and after the rather lengthy installation and configuration, it totally firewalled me from the internet and was buggered if I could train it or force it to let me connect. This was on a very remote, satellite connection which was slow enough anyway so uninstall and reboot!

The AVG free installations on the 'public use' machines at home does a decent job but I just noticed on a new 2015 version installation here that the frequency of pop-ups suggesting I try the Tune Up and some of their other 'try then buy' products is annoyingly high and the option to hide their 'store front' banner on their main application interface window has gone. Minor annoyances but a change nonetheless to more in-your-face, pop-up advertising masquerading as 'system advice'.

I also tried Kaspersky five years ago. Please try a Trial version of the 2015 version, with all the features and see what other programs don't see.

No weird " A virus has been detected bs, etc....

Edited by lostinisaan