Phuket vs Kunming

Trebek

Hi all, I recieved a teaching offer in Phuket which pays around 50,000 per month. Decent reputable school, salary seems a bit low for a place like Phuket.. I also have an offer in Kunming that pays about the same but with fewer teaching hours.

I've always wanted to work in Thailand, I have worked in China. I am hearing some terrible things about Pucket, how it's gone down hill ETC....

Does anyone here have experience in both cities? I've never been to either of them but I am familier with the pros and cons of China in general and I like China for the most part.

I'm a middle aged guy who doesn't hit the bars all night, I don't do the sex tourism thing, nor do I use drugs (although I used to be quite wild and adventuresome twenty years ago). A beer in a decent pub once or twice a week is fine with me.

I have two days to make this decision.

Thanks!

Edited by Trebek

I used to do business up in Kumming but that was back in the early 90's

i really enjoyed the city, great temp, great food, lots to see an do ( get out to the stone Forest) an nice people and lots of minorities around.

Back then there were very very few westerners there, in fact only saw a few travelers

Its not like most of China not sure what it is like there now

I do live in Phuket and prefer living here,

How long is the contract for>

Housing allowance included for Phuket ?

• Like 1

As above, can't speak for Kunming as haven't been but would love to visit. Living though... it's a huge city and Phuket is, more or less, a laidback island. Nice to have Dali fairly nearby but it'd be a totally different kettle of fish. Don't know about Phuket going downhill (was it ever up? tongue.png) but having lived there previously, I enjoyed it though the roads are a bit crazy. A lot of people slagging it off just focus on Patong, but the likes of Kata and the southern beaches are really nice. I reckon 50k for a single, non mongerer would be eaaily doable. There are cheaper digs to be had. Try it first and perhaps do a stint in both places.

• Like 1

Thanks folks,

Yeah, the money seems a bit low especially since no rent or airfare is provided. It is a one year contract and I do believe that I would be in Kata.

Hows' the weather in Phuket, I know it's hot, but is there a breeze going on like Hawaii?

I would go with Kunming. That salary in Phuket seems suspiciously high to me not low as you seem to think. 30,000/month is the going rate in Thailand, another reason not to work in teaching here. Phuket is one dodgy place it seems these days and I think that adds to the dubiousness of the promised 50,000 monthly salary. I would also read the accurate and frank reports of the travails of teaching in Thailand as can be read on ajarn.com. I know you have said that you think the school is reputable, it may well be, but the schools here are just about all really bad places to be, good reputation or not. A year or two is about all anyone can deal with without becoming seriously emotionally disturbed.

I have never been to Kunming let alone lived and worked there, but I have worked in three other Asian countries and worked in Japanese only situations in Thailand and all were miles ahead of my many Thai jobs over the last 20 years. Things are rapidly getting much worse here and it has long been a real shambles for teachers. Even if your school is otherwise good, many schools can't be bothered to help you with the visa process anymore. Suddenly you may find you are not working legally and likely it will be something you discover yourself. Being in trouble with immigration isn't their problem. China is more deserving of the services of a good and committed teacher which I assume you are. Save Thailand for summer and winter vacations and even then if it were me I wouldn't even be bothered with that, plenty of other nicer places not full of tourist rip offs, nasty disenfranchised locals and cops looking to get over on foreigners, and not nearly as environmentally desecrated.

I live in Kunming the past 10 years. I don't work so I cannot speak of working conditions. Formost question would be to beach or not to beach. No beaches in Kunming.

That being said, I definitely prefer China to Thailand, and most definitely prefer Kunming to Phuket. I spent a lot of time in Thailand and a few years ago decided not to return. It has plummeted downhill in comfort and lifestyle. Thai people do not want you there and make this attitude clear. I miss the food but I do not miss the "Thainess". It is also an unstable govt with an equally negative attitude towards foreigners.

Be vary aware the two are completely different as far as expat living conditionas. Chinese really do like Americans in particular and are generally very nice. Petty crime is a national sport in both places so that is a wash. Food in Kunming is good but not healthy, Thai foods is way better. Living cost in Kunming is much cheaper and I think the girls are prettier and much more approachable in Kunming.

Read up in GoKunming.com and ask questions there. In the end I suggest you visit a month in each place and see how it goes for you. Both places have good and bad, but Kunming still comes out on top.

And do you think that your opinion is the one of most ?

This is the reason why everybody wants to work and live in Thailand, right ?

Hi,

I live in Phuket now and have worked here for the last 6 years, but will shortly return to China to work there.

Worked in china before (not Kunming) but know China pretty well and have a fairly good idea of their mindset.

Salary of 50k is doable and you can live very cheaply if you go to Thai places and live a non extravagant lifestyle. You wouldn't save much (but depends on how frugal you are). Thailand is great but I really think Phuket is not the nicest place to move to in Thailand. The people here are quite aggressive and rude by Thai standards.

My advice - if you are a teacher, Chinese kids will be much better to work with, but if you decide that Thailand is the country for you, consider working somewhere else on a similar salary.

• Like 1

Hard to compare two totally different types of places.

I have been to both and think K would be better for living/teaching.

P would be better for flying out to other nearby countries for side trips.

P has the beach etc, while K has forest etc.

I have taught in china and thailand and think that chinese students are far better.

Good luck in your choice.

Thanks folks,

Yeah, the money seems a bit low especially since no rent or airfare is provided. It is a one year contract and I do believe that I would be in Kata.

Hows' the weather in Phuket, I know it's hot, but is there a breeze going on like Hawaii?

not much breeze, just really hot and getting hotter. this is not the best time of year to be coming to Thailand to be honest.

You're asking for comparisons from people with experience in both places. I haven't been to Kunming, but can offer some thoughts about Phuket while you're waiting for someone with that experience.

You are comparing a city in China with more than 6 million residents, to the Island province of Phuket which has only a fraction of the population. (I'm presuming you're not specifically talking about the small capital, Phuket City)

And I'm guessing you're asking about lifestyles in the two places and not teaching conditions.

The people posting on this forum generally live on Phuket and, with one or two notable exceptions, do so willingly and like the place. Most of the detractors have never lived in the Province and their venom against the place probably stems from their own shortcomings.

Of course there are some problems here with transport issues, criminal corruption and some opportunistic crime. Expats know how to avoid most of these problems.

And, in keeping with it's high profile tourist destination status, it is also one of the more expensive places in Thailand, particularly if you don't know how to shop and eat like a local. Accommodation can be expensive, particularly for someone on 50,000pm, but does depend on where in the Province you live.

Personally, I would rather pluck out my eyeballs then live in a large Chinese city, but only you can decide what best suits you and your current lifestyle.

Good luck.

Aren't there 6 million Chinese in Phuket?

• Like 1

I live in Kunming the past 10 years. I don't work so I cannot speak of working conditions. Formost question would be to beach or not to beach. No beaches in Kunming.

That being said, I definitely prefer China to Thailand, and most definitely prefer Kunming to Phuket. I spent a lot of time in Thailand and a few years ago decided not to return. It has plummeted downhill in comfort and lifestyle. Thai people do not want you there and make this attitude clear. I miss the food but I do not miss the "Thainess". It is also an unstable govt with an equally negative attitude towards foreigners.

Be vary aware the two are completely different as far as expat living conditionas. Chinese really do like Americans in particular and are generally very nice. Petty crime is a national sport in both places so that is a wash. Food in Kunming is good but not healthy, Thai foods is way better. Living cost in Kunming is much cheaper and I think the girls are prettier and much more approachable in Kunming.

Read up in GoKunming.com and ask questions there. In the end I suggest you visit a month in each place and see how it goes for you. Both places have good and bad, but Kunming still comes out on top.

And do you think that your opinion is the one of most ?

This is the reason why everybody wants to work and live in Thailand, right ?

Somebody is giving personal experience of living in Kunming, so that could be valuable to the OP.

Thanks folks,

not much breeze, just really hot and getting hotter. this is not the best time of year to be coming to Thailand to be honest.

Not much breeze? We have had a much stronger than average wind nearly every day for the last months. I can't wait for that wind to lay down.

Thanks folks,

Not much breeze? We have had a much stronger than average wind nearly every day for the last months. I can't wait for that wind to lay down.

I agree it's been quite breezy, but I quite enjoy the relief a nice zephyr brings in the afternoon.

But,I don't need to spend time on the ocean.

Trebek, please be assured that 50K, no flight, no housing help, for a middle aged ex patriate is the lowest of the low.

I can only imagine that the school in Kata must be. And there may be other costs. Phuket is more expensive than other places in Thailand.

Of course, if the money is not a concern and you are privately supported by a pension then come on down.

How long is the contract in Kunming? One year? Might be more of an adventure.

Sorry but I think you are selling yourself short coming to Phuket. Good luck with your decisions.

Trebek, please be assured that 50K, no flight, no housing help, for a middle aged ex patriate is the lowest of the low.

I can only imagine that the school in Kata must be. And there may be other costs. Phuket is more expensive than other places in Thailand.

Of course, if the money is not a concern and you are privately supported by a pension then come on down.

How long is the contract in Kunming? One year? Might be more of an adventure.

Sorry but I think you are selling yourself short coming to Phuket. Good luck with your decisions.

Plenty of people are living on less than 50k. The school is in Kathu, so most likely Kajonkiet. I would also recommend the OP to do some research on the school, the opinions vary wildly.

Thanks all, I've decided to take the Kunming job. Although Phuket is beautiful it just seems too expensive to spend a year dealing with locals that have been jaded by tourism. I can always visit Thailand, flights from Kunming are quite cheap. You've all been quite helpful.

• Like 1

You're asking for comparisons from people with experience in both places. I haven't been to Kunming, but can offer some thoughts about Phuket while you're waiting for someone with that experience.

You are comparing a city in China with more than 6 million residents, to the Island province of Phuket which has only a fraction of the population. (I'm presuming you're not specifically talking about the small capital, Phuket City)

And I'm guessing you're asking about lifestyles in the two places and not teaching conditions.

The people posting on this forum generally live on Phuket and, with one or two notable exceptions, do so willingly and like the place. Most of the detractors have never lived in the Province and their venom against the place probably stems from their own shortcomings.

Of course there are some problems here with transport issues, criminal corruption and some opportunistic crime. Expats know how to avoid most of these problems.

And, in keeping with it's high profile tourist destination status, it is also one of the more expensive places in Thailand, particularly if you don't know how to shop and eat like a local. Accommodation can be expensive, particularly for someone on 50,000pm, but does depend on where in the Province you live.

Personally, I would rather pluck out my eyeballs then live in a large Chinese city, but only you can decide what best suits you and your current lifestyle.

Good luck.

Probably only 4 million but some people( usually with vested interests) still portray it as a beautiful paradise island.

They must not have left their houses for the last few years me thinks

Good luck.

Probably only 4 million but some people( usually with vested interests) still portray it as a beautiful paradise island.

They must not have left their houses for the last few years me thinks

There aren't even a million Thais in Phuket let alone 4 million Chino-thais

Edited by Peterocket