carry passport or not

retoohs

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Why should there be contradictions.......already been made clear on TV

No you dont..............

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/784706-thai-police-spokesman-tourists-do-not-need-to-carry-passports/?utm_source=newsletter-20141217-0807&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=news

Edited by Chivas

What is not in the article clearly:

I always have copies of relevant pages with me.

Might save a detour to home or hotel.

In contrast to some posters I always take my original passport with me when travelling "far", like domestic flights or multi day trips.

Keep it in the hotel safe e.g.

You are still obliged to present the document on request (as described in the article).

Edited by KhunBENQ

As long as you arent involved in illegal sex and drugs parties (the legal ones are fine), cock fighting (of any description) or midget wrestling, you should be fine without your passport. Things like bear baiting and supplying cigarettes to minors are a bit of a grey area, but I'd suggest that you let your conscience be your guide. Ditto anything involving katoeys, two-stroke motorbikes and chainsaws - regardless of how appealing that combination may seem.

You are still obliged to present the document on request (as described in the article).

Never ever been asked for mine (apart from Driving up north at Checkpoints) and certainly will never be carrying it out at night.

If obliged to produce the Document I duly would by returning to Hotel and getting it. Much better a very minor inconvenience as compared to losing the damn thing and the costs and time involved in replacing it

I got stopped by the police some two weeks ago in Pattaya. The police wanted to see my passport but I did not have my passport with me so I showed them my Thai driving license (which have my passport number). I was promptly thanked and courteously sent away!

In contrast to some posters I always take my original passport with me when travelling "far", like domestic flights or multi day trips.

Yes, I always carry it with me. Never been asked to show it except at Immigrations or when checking into a hotel. Keep it in a rather bulky passport holder along credit cards etc. Getting it in or out of my pocket is something of a struggle so no pickpocket is going to get it out without me knowing about it ... not that I've ever had any pickpocket try nor do I spend my time in bars getting anesthetized to the point I wouldn't notice.

Yes, I always carry it with me. Never been asked to show it except at Immigrations or when checking into a hotel. Keep it in a rather bulky passport holder along credit cards etc. Getting it in or out of my pocket is something of a struggle so no pickpocket is going to get it out without me knowing about it ... not that I've ever had any pickpocket try nor do I spend my time in bars getting anesthetized to the point I wouldn't notice.

I've been using my Thai drivers license for the last couple of years instead of my passport and it works fine for hotels.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Never have and never been stopped and asked to show it. That's in 20 years of living here.

I will go one better Thaipod, been in Thailand 30 years and never had to produce it except from the obvious places

No way would i carry a passport in Thailand unless i was on my way to the airport....... Lose one here, and you've got a heap of trouble coming your way........ I just photo the relevant pages and keep them on my phone...... And if that doesn't work, i just pull out the relevant copper or soldiers card, and play lets see who knows the bigger hitter............. Usually ends in Wais all round..........Got a family member who works for the TMB ( Very senior money mover), producing that one is like giving them the devils mobile number.............. Forget the passport sir,,,,,,,, have a nice day.......

As long as you arent involved in illegal sex and drugs parties (the legal ones are fine), cock fighting (of any description) or midget wrestling, you should be fine without your passport. Things like bear baiting and supplying cigarettes to minors are a bit of a grey area, but I'd suggest that you let your conscience be your guide. Ditto anything involving katoeys, two-stroke motorbikes and chainsaws - regardless of how appealing that combination may seem.

But midgets are the only ones I can wrestle these days with a 50-50 chance of winning...

These topics are always tough. Right now, seems a copy of the main page of your passport AND current visa, are OK. But, as mentioned above, it you get into a delicate situation (your fault or not), your original will probably be required. If you can't produce it within a reasonable time as determined by the officer on the scene, you could be in a bit of hot water.

If you are near to home and have quick access to your passport. No biggie. If you are out of town and can't get it quickly...could be a biggie. I never leave on an extended trip without my passort. Just like I wouldn't travel in any other country around the world without it in my posession.

Normal days out, never stopped or ask to show my passport.....I never carry it on me unless I have business to do, like banking or checking into a hotel :-)

I do carry a copy in my wallet in case,. always have it with me, if I travel......

Edited by Afook

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Thai driving licence,has passport number on it.

Driving licence issued on January 10th.

Received new passport on January 12th, new number. Possible 5 years of conflicting data.................wink.png

Unless you know, or remember, its not always so clear cut.

Never have and never been stopped and asked to show it. That's in 20 years of living here.

I will go one better Thaipod, been in Thailand 30 years and never had to produce it except from the obvious places

Ditto... 30+ years.

But you had better never be too far away from it in case something unexpected happens.

Thai driving licence,has passport number on it.

Indeed. My Thai driving license has always been accepted as ID when travelling in country. If I am traveling on multi day trips I may or may not carry the PP. Of course if you are traveling out of the country you need your PP. If you don't have Thai DL you need to carry copies of the relevant pages and be prepared to show the original if necessary. I consider my PP as my most precious possession. I don't carry my PP as a matter of course and I would never give it as security for anything. Last time I and my girl went on a trip I pulled my DL but the hotelier asked my girl to sign for the room so he wouldn't have to do any reporting.

No way would i carry a passport in Thailand unless i was on my way to the airport....... Lose one here, and you've got a heap of trouble coming your way........ I just photo the relevant pages and keep them on my phone...... And if that doesn't work, i just pull out the relevant copper or soldiers card, and play lets see who knows the bigger hitter............. Usually ends in Wais all round..........Got a family member who works for the TMB ( Very senior money mover), producing that one is like giving them the devils mobile number.............. Forget the passport sir,,,,,,,, have a nice day.......

I'll bite..........Who are TMB ?? You mention Money in brackets ??