VLC media player just got even more awesome

thai tech

VLC media player just got even more awesome

vlc-media.jpg

VideoLan have released a major update to the world’s most popular open source media player.

In addition to the regular PC version of VLC, the media player is now also available on Android, Android TV, Windows RT and Windows Phone. It is also makes a much welcomed return to iOS, having been unavailable to users following the release of iOS 8.

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/vlc-media-player-just-got-even-more-awesome/5796/

• Like 1

Still waiting then.....

When will VLC be able to stream to Chromecast?

We're currently working on it but can't give a release date.

That was going to be my question.

Good to see it back on ios. The alternative was grim. Looking forward to giving it a try.

was a great piece of Software at its time. (until ver. 0.86)

But nowadays, its buggy a hell.

An outdated, ugly "Win95 stylish" GUI

UPNP not working correctly since ages

Streaming from Samba network shares broken

Poor Hardware acceleration support (especially Android)

Very high CPU usage on most HLS/m3u8 streams (Windows only)

etc...etc...

But at least, 2.2 will now auto-rotate your videos...great

was a great piece of Software at its time. (until ver. 0.86)

But nowadays, its buggy a hell.

An outdated, ugly "Win95 stylish" GUI

UPNP not working correctly since ages

Streaming from Samba network shares broken

Poor Hardware acceleration support (especially Android)

Very high CPU usage on most HLS/m3u8 streams (Windows only)

etc...etc...

But at least, 2.2 will now auto-rotate your videos...great

Agree with you about high cpu usage of VLC player, especially in later versions.

I use Media Player Classic Home Cinema which is a bit lighter on resources in that respect.

http://mpc-hc.org/

I'm not sure where 'buggy' and 'high cpu usage' is coming from for some members. Never had any issues with VLC in terms of stability nor playback and I've used it for years. As for CPU usage, well it is streaming from the drive so expect some CPU but far from high. I get around 2% - 4% CPU usage when I run VLC. It's my main viewer on my media center computer.

Years ago we had this advertisement about a washing machine. A guy asks an other guy what brand do they have. The first guy scratches his head and finally replies "I don't remember. Since we bought it I never heard about it. To be honest it's the only thing my wife never complains about"

It's the same with VLC. My wife was always complaining she couldn't open this or that video. I installed VLC on all her devices and now my only problem is to appear very busy when she insists to show me the latest video about that cute talking puppy ....

I am mostly watching H264 videos (1280*720).

CPU between 15% and 25%, memory about 130 MB.

(have an i5 CPU and simple integrated Intel video controller on a laptop [just now])

I would not complain about this.

My real ressource grabber is Firefox.

I'm not sure where 'buggy' and 'high cpu usage' is coming from for some members. Never had any issues with VLC in terms of stability nor playback and I've used it for years. As for CPU usage, well it is streaming from the drive so expect some CPU but far from high. I get around 2% - 4% CPU usage when I run VLC. It's my main viewer on my media center computer.

well, the CPU problem happens on all my favourite Live-TV streams.

But only under Windows. (7, 8.1, 10 preview.)

NOT under Linux.

Here is a free example stream from Germany, let it run for about 30 seconds and check CPU usage:

http://wdr_fs-lh.akamaihd.net/i/wdrfs_weltweit@112033/index_608_av-p.m3u8?sd=10&rebase=on

This and similar streams, eat about 50-60% CPU, whereas Kodi or MPC-HC play it at 6-10% CPU

It's the same with VLC. My wife was always complaining she couldn't open this or that video. I installed VLC on all her devices and now my only problem is to appear very busy when she insists to show me the latest video about that cute talking puppy ....

I know that...tongue.png.

But the time of exotic video formats is over (or at least should be).

Nowadays, she uses her Smartphone to present me all the latest and greatest Video clips from Youtube, Line + Co.

Fortunately, modern Android devices are capable of playing almost everything.

My Minix X8H-Plus plays even UHD videos in h.265 without problems. (Try that with VLC)

The Stream from above is running below 10% CPU on this small box.

And all at a fraction of energy costs.

I would guess, that is the future of Home Multimedia, PC's will become obsolete as Multimedia Player and with them VLC.. IMHOwink.png

Edited by Turkleton