Crackdown on Bangkok street stalls as pedestrians vie for space

Lite Beer

In reality in many areas if you want to get somewhere by foot then walking in the road is the only viable option. Moving vendors to side streets seems a sensible option as people who want to shop can go there and leave the pavements for the purpose intended. The authorities should also clamp down on motor cycles who increasingly use pavements to avoid traffic.

A perfect example s Soi 11. You might get around the corner on the sidewalk/foot path but very quickly you are in the street until you get where you need to go.

• Like 1

I'd quite like to be able to walk down the street without it being an obstacle course, and I don't really give a shit if that fits into some idea of how you think the city should look.

Dallas Texas might be a good for for you.

Great weather, hot blondes. and no one uses side walks ... so they are all yours !

In a moment of irony it seems to be lost on many the the very reason the streets are crowded, is because people come to enjoy the street stalls. Peopel vote with thier money, and for decades have voted for street stalls and awesome food.

Vibrant, alive, fun and liberating for the Thai people who can have their own business, and not become corporate slaves.

Noting is better for a strong stable family life than a viable family owned and operated business.

You know, it was this way for a long time, BKK is famous for it .. many many people LOVE it.

To the whiners ... there is a whole world of "dead" and lifeless streets that only connect you to the next mini mall that is a repleca of the mini mall you just left.

Go there.

Agree with comments about getting rid of the sex toys and such, other than that I don't have much of an issue with the street vendors though some places can be difficult to get from point A to point B on the sidewalk... What would be a big help many places is putting an end to motorcycles using the sidewalks as roads... I can emphasize with their wanting to avoid the streets but the motorcycles pose a real, physical threat to pedestrians. About the street vendors, I think they should look at all options - it would be a great help if both sides of the sidewalk were not lined with vendors and or seating for noodle vendors....

• Like 1

In reality in many areas if you want to get somewhere by foot then walking in the road is the only viable option. Moving vendors to side streets seems a sensible option as people who want to shop can go there and leave the pavements for the purpose intended. The authorities should also clamp down on motor cycles who increasingly use pavements to avoid traffic.

What about people who want to walk down the side streets?

It may have to be a 'win some' lose some'. An obvious compromise.

I'd quite like to be able to walk down the street without it being an obstacle course, and I don't really give a shit if that fits into some idea of how you think the city should look.

this story has been wrote about for years! no action taken as of now. the stalls "rent" from someone and it will never change!

• Like 1

In a moment of irony it seems to be lost on many the the very reason the streets are crowded, is because people come to enjoy the street stalls. Peopel vote with thier money, and for decades have voted for street stalls and awesome food.

Vibrant, alive, fun and liberating for the Thai people who can have their own business, and not become corporate slaves.

Noting is better for a strong stable family life than a viable family owned and operated business.

You know, it was this way for a long time, BKK is famous for it .. many many people LOVE it.

To the whiners ... there is a whole world of "dead" and lifeless streets that only connect you to the next mini mall that is a repleca of the mini mall you just left.

Go there.

Partially agree, but after being harassed and having to walk bent over every time, much of the way from the sky train depot to my shopping destination became annoying.

I will gladly walk down side streets to enjoy the street stalls often. I enjoy that. Hopefully there can be some compromise. It will be great if things remain the same after hours.

Edited by NeilSA1

Id be happy if there werent metre deep holes ,or paving stones sticking up 10 inches, or electric poles slap bang in the middle or road signs at head height to inflict maximum damage alond with shop awnings at the same height to take an eye out or electric cables finished off with tape etc etc.....apart from that the street vendors arent my worry.they can stay.

If you want things up to Western standards you may have to start paying Western wages. Do they have sewage plants in Thailand?

One has to bear in mind that these vendors are not purely targeting foreigners. Indeed, they are more selling to Thais and this has been a long term part of the culture.

To simply dismiss them takes away a lot of the cultural value that initially has impressed visitors, and has drawn people to the country. If Thailand ends with a cleaned-up capital, amongst other areas and cities, then I believe it is losing a great attraction. Why should BKK suddenly want to appear the same as the likes of purely clean cities of Germany or Norway, for example? Isn't it the 'quaintness' or almost 'cuteness' of olde world ways which attract, certainly Western, visitors and Thai visitors themselves?

I'm not for the motion of cleaning up the street sellers. I'd let them be, and promote attitude change towards what is a part of the culture. Nothing to do with education, politics nor TAT's aims. Night markets are a part of the ceremony of Thailand, in my humble opinion.

Quaintness creates a safety issue.

Cute.