Crackdown on Bangkok street stalls as pedestrians vie for space

Lite Beer

I'd quite like to be able to walk down the street without it being an obstacle course, and I don't really give a shit if that fits into some idea of how you think the city should look.

I think youre in the wrong city mate. You should move to Canberra.

Ooooooh...you mean the exact same plan they had for the beach vendors and sunbed-rentals on Phuket f.e.?!

Just ban everybody from one day to the next, with absolutely no alternatives...and start -slowly but surely- not giving a hoot, because you already demonstrated your immense power?

And you mean a plan, where ...like on Silom...daytime vendors are almost completely gone and asked to put up their stalls only in the late afternoon...where before, they could basically do whatever they want!

Yeah...great planning, excellent midleground, fantastic moderation!

All hail to the chief!

And yes, I can't stand it, but you surely like a strong military leader...like in your home country of....Uganda...?!

Ooooooh...you mean the exact same plan they had for the beach vendors and sunbed-rentals on Phuket f.e.?!

Just ban everybody from one day to the next, with absolutely no alternatives...and start -slowly but surely- not giving a hoot, because you already demonstrated your immense power?

And you mean a plan, where ...like on Silom...daytime vendors are almost completely gone and asked to put up their stalls only in the late afternoon...where before, they could basically do whatever they want!

Yeah...great planning, excellent midleground, fantastic moderation!

All hail to the chief!

And yes, I can't stand it, but you surely like a strong military leader...like in your home country of....Uganda...?!

"Where before they could do basically whatever they want."

And that is just it "whatever they want" with no regard for other citizens, no regard for the law, no regard for the environment, no regard for anything except themselves. The current government may be strong and it needs to be with rampant disregard of the law being the order of the day. These vendors have got away with it for too long and are now being asked to make some consideration for whom the sidewalks were built for, pedestrians, people who walk, not stop and shop. I do not have or need a strong military leader in my country of birth as its citizens are by and large law abiding and considerate of others. But in what is now my home, Thailand, does. Like it or leave as the saying goes.

It's about time!!!! You don't see this madness in Laos, Vietnam or even Cambodia to the extent you see it in Thailand. I am for enterprising Thais but not when you risk injury walking down a metropolitan street.

• Like 1

I'd quite like to be able to walk down the street without it being an obstacle course, and I don't really give a shit if that fits into some idea of how you think the city should look.

I think youre in the wrong city mate. You should move to Canberra.

And if you don't like what is happening you could leave. Best of luck trying to find some other place that has such cluttered sidewalks.

A street cooking vendor spilt COOKING OIL on the Badly maintained pavement and I had the misfortune to step on it. this was a week ago . I am still hobbling after a sudden fall on the oil slide.. Street vendors keep away if you are not to act responsibly, ie not the Thai way. And the authorities should make the pavements safe giggle.gif So who do I sue ???

• Like 1

I also have seen big trucks with much personell cleaning up the pavements. They took everything away and dumped it in the truck, flowerpots, advertisings and all other garbage which was on the pavement.

Good to see this cleanup!

Lousy and selfish attitude. The stall businesses being located in main pedestrian thoroughfares is these people's bread & butter but for your trivial convenience let 'em go hungry, eh? :thumbsup:

I also have seen big trucks with much personell cleaning up the pavements. They took everything away and dumped it in the truck, flowerpots, advertisings and all other garbage which was on the pavement.

Good to see this cleanup!

Lousy and selfish attitude. The stall businesses being located in main pedestrian thoroughfares is these people's bread & butter but for your trivial convenience let 'em go hungry, eh? :thumbsup:

And blocking, making a mess of pedestrian areas, land that they have no right to be on, is not a lousy and selfish attitude. It may be where they made their bread & butter but it no longer is and they've been told to move. Good riddance.

• Like 1