Chiang Mai monorail

baywatch82

Chiang Mai is small enough that all we really need are those moving sidewalks like they have at the airport. They'd have to be enclosed to protect the materials from the weather, and air conditioned, but they'd be a lot cheaper than a subway or any type of train/trolley system. 10 baht user fee to enter the system and exit wherever you want.

• Like 1

So none of you have seen the old officially approved maps from Germany of Chiang Mai with the past proposed subway system complete with station marked where proposed?

Beat the heck out of an eye sore raise light rail system. But The city is too short sighted for either unless is offered with great kick back for all concerned. I think the west has learned their lesson on that one. NO feebies and also kick backs for being allowed to build at a loss.

Seattle Monorail works quite well, and avoids the switching problems inherent in designs such as in Sydney by operating in a continuous loop or between fixed stations with no switching.

Light rail would be cheaper to install and maintain, so a better choice. I'd welcome any system that would alleviate traffic and pollution. Any charm that mass transit might harm disappeared from Chiang Mai at least two decades ago.

Seattle Monorail works quite well, and avoids the switching problems inherent in designs such as in Sydney by operating in a continuous loop or between fixed stations with no switching.

Light rail would be cheaper to install and maintain, so a better choice. I'd welcome any system that would alleviate traffic and pollution. Any charm that mass transit might harm disappeared from Chiang Mai at least two decades ago.

The one in Dublin is good.

• Like 1

It would only work if it went in a circle from Maya to the Airport Plaza to Promenada to Central Festival and back to Maya. The songteaws and tuks would still have chance and there might be less auto traffic with no place to park.

• Like 1

Yeah.....but that's only Seattle....no history...seaport yes....cuteness yes......Space Needle as major landmark.....Boeing as Wet Nurse.....nice rivers covered by bridge gridlock......no way to compare......SM has 2 stations because there's no place - nothing else to offer.....it's a novelty ride nothing more......if it were a great answer Paris would have one - and that's a town that is hard to get around on foot.....but - like here - it has history.....

The so-called Chiang Mai monorail proposal has been around for a few years, in non-Thai English the proposal is essentially trams or light rail, and even then how the hell they'd make it work in CM is beyond me. Tracks over the moat maybe, as one of the 4 proposed routes (yes, they have proposed routes) runs around the moat.

Well it looks good but how would you get the people on and off it without causing traffic back ups. There would have to be many stops to make it viable.

As for trollies and rapid transit of any kind. Would the existing infrastructure be able to handle it. Or would they just become a part of the traffic jam?

Edited by northernjohn

Ridiculous - too big of a major project..

Take a look at Portland's light rail system. Very simple - no major structures or stations to be built; it's based on an honor system so no gates walls or confines to enter; it's right at street level and uses existing streets so no additional roadways or lanes needed...

I can't think of a better one in the USA for its purpose...

CB

• Like 2

Just talking about mass transit in Chiang Mai is step, however small, in the right direction. The city is not that many years away from experiencing a city-wide gridlock event.

Well, it pretty much happens around holidays. Not sure if Songkran counts as to a large extent the gridlock is the party, but also around Western new year you get quite the jam around Huay Kaew/Nimman when it seems like the whole of Bangkok is going to Doi Suthep at once.

And you can see it around the main schools in rush hour, especially when an accident happens and a lane is blocked. Then it rapidly all falls apart and you get gridlock spreading.

At the same time you see more and more businesses and institutions moving out of town on to the ring roads. The worst gridlock is now actually on the ring roads (Aom Muang, end of the Superhighway near Rincome/Maya, etc.) which is relatively fortunate. It used to be that AIS and DTAC had offices right downtown; they too moved out. So this lessens the burden on the old town area. New shopping malls and hypermarkets also mean less pressure on the 'traditional' places to shop such as the Kad Luang area.

I guess I care most about the 'old' Chiang Mai area, roughly within the Superhighway / Aom Muang ring. If people want to build Bangkok-traffic-hell around Nimman/Maya or Aom Muang then go right ahead.

When driving into town in the early evening it's actually remarkable that traffic clears up the closer you get into town. After I cross the Bridge at Nawarat traffic actually lessens. The old town transitioning more and more towards tourism is also good, as most tourists don't drive cars. (And neither do they need to; they can walk or cycle just about everywhere they'd want to go in downtown Chiang Mai.)

I think a monorail would look out of place in Chiang Mai.

Money would be better spent getting rid of some of the "sacred trees" that reduce the 3 road lanes down to 1 lane, the food markets that spill out over 2 lanes, the double and triple parking around the gate and free up the flow of traffic.

Technically the traffic should flow quite well in CM, but in typical Thai fashion, they screw it up.

NO !

They are taking down monorails all over the world - they dont work and are a waste of public money.

Build better roads, and get more Taxis (no buses - roads too narrow).

• Like 2