I want to buy a sports car....

• Replies 147
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

MX5 is the way to go- not a huge engine, light and handles really well- had a MK 1 in the UK for over ten years- never missed a beat- really reliable.

You can certainly get an older MK 1 for well under a million.

But unless you have a garage, a soft top is not such a good idea here.

So the one with a retractable electric hard top would be better- I think they are 2.5 m new, but as you could hunt around for a used one.

The world's best selling sports car!

I always here from this people who have never lived in a warm region before like it's gospel and every time it makes me chuckle.. Can you explain this please? Because the weather in places like Thailand is what soft tops are for? They're a dime a dozen here in Florida, every bit as hot as Thailand in the summer though depending on where in Thailand you live you may or may not have weather as nice most times of the year.

MX5 is the way to go- not a huge engine, light and handles really well- had a MK 1 in the UK for over ten years- never missed a beat- really reliable.

You can certainly get an older MK 1 for well under a million.

But unless you have a garage, a soft top is not such a good idea here.

So the one with a retractable electric hard top would be better- I think they are 2.5 m new, but as you could hunt around for a used one.

The world's best selling sports car!

I always here from this people who have never lived in a warm region before like it's gospel and every time it makes me chuckle.. Can you explain this please? Because the weather in places like Thailand is what soft tops are for? They're a dime a dozen here in Florida, every bit as hot as Thailand in the summer though depending on where in Thailand you live you may or may not have weather as nice most times of the year.

Sports cars look a little funny here with the top down and some gal holding an umbrella to protect her skin from the sun. :)

I guess but who does that? BTW nothing says that you have to lower the top only in daylight, there are plenty of awesome summer nights when a convertible driving on the strip road is perfect ambiance.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I guess but who does that? BTW nothing says that you have to lower the top only in daylight, there are plenty of awesome summer nights when a convertible driving on the strip road is perfect ambiance.

There is a reason why you don't find many convertibles here. It can only be the rain sun or loss of face in not being able to afford one with a roof?

The only one I can think of off hand Brand new

Hyundai Veloster around 1.2 million, or the Turbo model around 1,7 million.

If you're going to include that, I guess we also need to include the Nissan Pulsar Turbo - 190HP for 1,070,000 Baht.

:)

And again we have another topic where OP wants something (vague), then disappears with no follow up post. Great...

In the meantime, it has turned into a fight about pick ups vs. high priced luxury sedan. "Why would you be so stupid to blabla?" etc.

This is going nowhere. OP has not done any research of what is available whatsoever and comes to a TV forum full of knowitalls to ask for advice without really clarifying what he wants.

Recommend to lock this up before it goes too far.

And again we have another topic where OP wants something (vague), then disappears with no follow up post. Great...

In the meantime, it has turned into a fight about pick ups vs. high priced luxury sedan. "Why would you be so stupid to blabla?" etc.

This is going nowhere. OP has not done any research of what is available whatsoever and comes to a TV forum full of knowitalls to ask for advice without really clarifying what he wants.

Someone included it in the newsletter, so it's sure to get some motoring forum newbies posting I guess :)

Maybe gone to UK where they won't be "ripped off"

I own a Mazda MX5 Roadster, 2007 model with only 14,000 kilometers on it. Rarely driven. My wifes car. Stays covered in our car park. Black with custom brown/black interior. 1.4 million is the the price. New one costs 2.8 million last time I checked.

Some of the popular European cars like BMW and Mercedes are assembled here but still priced at import level because so many people keep buying them to elevate their status. BMW is twice the European price here, but apparently they make more money than when they would price them lower and sell more units.

What you can do is buy a local priced car and tune it up, most of the pick-up trucks can easily double the horsepower and torque, not to many sports cars will keep up with you.

Import duties are not the only taxes on cars... even locally assembled cars can have 111% of excise and interior taxes.

If you consider that a top-spec Camry costs almost 1.9M Baht, a Benz C180 for 2.8M isn't too bad.

For some odd reason some cars/brands seem to escape these taxes. I've been looking at diesels and a BMW 320D is twice the European price and the Mazda CX5 Diesel costs less than in Europe where it is more expensive than the 320D.

How about a Lamborghini, Ferrari or McLaren....??? Oops forgot that there was a budget in mind....same as many posters forgot what was initially asked. Not quite sure why there is talks about pick ups, retro and classic cars, etc

The definition of sports car has not been well explained by the OP I guess....

Someone mentioned a Scirocco which hits the nail pretty good. sporty looking, good power, VW reliability (ahem). Definitely a good, solid suggestion. The before mentioned Mazda RX7 is probably fun, but all i can see on the web here are highly modified versions at a certain age....probably better to look at a Mazda RX 8, there are quite a few younger ones at even less than 1m. Engine however has some possible issues and could be cooked and fuel consumption is rather ridiculous.

A Mazda MX5 around 1-1.5m is probably a sensible buy if you need only 2 seats and like it rather cramped.

Otherwise you could look at a sporty hatch.....like Golf GTI, Mini or if you fancy a manual...there is an interesting Citroen DS3 THP manual with the Mini Cooper S engine equivalent for sale for just under 1m. Not sport cars, but can be driven sporty and practical. Oh I forgot and I have a Mini Cooper S JCW GP and might sell it....haha (only to good hands and if I am in the right mood....otherwise I keep my baby).

Some of the popular European cars like BMW and Mercedes are assembled here but still priced at import level because so many people keep buying them to elevate their status. BMW is twice the European price here, but apparently they make more money than when they would price them lower and sell more units.

What you can do is buy a local priced car and tune it up, most of the pick-up trucks can easily double the horsepower and torque, not to many sports cars will keep up with you.

Import duties are not the only taxes on cars... even locally assembled cars can have 111% of excise and interior taxes.

If you consider that a top-spec Camry costs almost 1.9M Baht, a Benz C180 for 2.8M isn't too bad.

For some odd reason some cars/brands seem to escape these taxes. I've been looking at diesels and a BMW 320D is twice the European price and the Mazda CX5 Diesel costs less than in Europe where it is more expensive than the 320D.

To qualify for zero import duties, the car must have at least 40% ASEAN content. Could be that. The CX-5 is made in Malaysia, so actually has 5% import tax.

Nice Sport Car for around/maybe a little under 1 million the R107 Benz 500 SL even a 350 or 450 SL can be had 1978 - 1988 there are a few about here.

I have to give it to you ignis, you truly are our classic, oddball and unique cars guy wai2.gif

Edited by IMHO

Experience of the roads is the key. I would suggest that for a first kind if sports car the OP should buy a cheap second hand car of the type that Thais call katoey sport, such as a Prelude. It'll look quite good and should be reliable enough as you find out about where to drive. After a year trade it in, you wont lose much, and you will be in a position to buy something better.

There is a reason why you don't find many convertibles here. It can only be the rain sun or loss of face in not being able to afford one with a roof?

Generalized nonsense coming from someone who never lived in a similar climate apparently, as I stated in my OP Florida has an almost identical climate (except in winter, spring and fall here are much more pleasant) but still there are plenty of chances there to put the top down on a convertible especially depending on where you live or travel to.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Not sure what the definition of a Sports Car is any more. In the 60's it would have a removable top. Sports Cars were sporty or faster than the average family hack and most had only 2 doors. What makes a Sports Car today ?

Yeah it used to be a 2 seater, but now there are some like the Rx8 that are still clearly sports cars but have four doors (albeit 2 very small ones rear) and four seats and the Scirocco I mentioned with 2 doors but 4 seats, so there you have it, no better answer then your original question, somewhat difficult to define these days.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I have a BMW E36 M3 (purchased at 550K THBt)

1997 325 Sedan (donor body)

1995 Euro Spec M3 internals (280 Hp)

Basically every E36 has the potential to be an M if all the M spec parts are bolted on. So what is what some folks do in Thailand (in order to avoid taxes) is purchase an M3 that has litterally been cut in half, from Japan or Hong Kong. Then the destroyed M3 is shipped to Thailand, and the parts are transfered to a donor E36, transfering it from a nice daily driver, to a beast of a machine.

Thais also like to take an E36, and toss a Japanese engine it etc etc.... the advantage to this is the engine is essentially disposable, but the electronics do not match, gear box doesnt match etc etc.

Back in the states, I owned a 1995 E36 M3 Coupe (USA spec) (240 Hp) and my "Thai" built M3 is every bit as good, and in some aspects even better. The guy that sold me my sedan may still have a Evo spec E36 M3 coupe available. (It was blue with tan interior & I think 340+ Hp) The price for that car was around 900K. My wife and I wanted a sedan (family car) and I don't like tan interiors.....

So I purchased the sedan, and have zero regrets...... just ear to ear smiles.

Generalized nonsense coming from someone who never lived in a similar climate apparently, as I stated in my OP Florida has an almost identical climate (except in winter, spring and fall here are much more pleasant) but still there are plenty of chances there to put the top down on a convertible especially depending on where you live or travel to.

You should really get laid once in awhile and quit taking yourself so seriously mate lol.

I don't take myself seriously but I do answer questions seriously when they're asked, was your answer not serious? It should have been. BTW not that my sex life is any of your business, but I get laid plenty, probably more then most here but thanks for your concern anyway. In fact took some pics just today while out on the highway of 2 convertibles within miles of each other, top down and wind blowing through the hair. A VW new beetle and ironically a Mazda MX5, 88 degrees and enjoying the breeze, I don't have the patience to post them tonight still have to download them but I will tomorrow just for your viewing pleasure.

Edited by WarpSpeed

I don't take myself seriously but I do answer questions seriously when they're asked, was your answer not serious? It should have been. BTW not that my sex life is any of your business, but I get laid plenty, probably more then most here but thanks for your concern anyway

face it mate. This ain't FLA ...it's LOS. Meaning : Chicks here don't dig tans. Ever seen a regular Bangkok gal (insert SG, KL, HK gal at your leisure) not hiding from the sun at every chance?

I will concede to you on matters concerning driving / even fixing cars - but bear with me on this one - 20+ years of visiting / living here I have seen a few things - some even by chance.

Failing that, I suggest you open a car dealership here selling only convertibles and let me know when you passed the 12 month mark of staying in business.

I don't take myself seriously but I do answer questions seriously when they're asked, was your answer not serious? It should have been. BTW not that my sex life is any of your business, but I get laid plenty, probably more then most here but thanks for your concern anyway

face it mate. This ain't FLA ...it's LOS. Meaning : Chicks here don't dig tans. Ever seen a regular Bangkok gal (insert SG, KL, HK gal at your leisure) not hiding from the sun at every chance?

I will concede to you on matters concerning driving / even fixing cars - but bear with me on this one - 20+ years of visiting / living here I have seen a few things - some even by chance.

Failing that, I suggest you open a car dealership here selling only convertibles and let me know when you passed the 12 month mark of staying in business.

Stop talking nonsense, just get over it, my tan did me just fine when I was in LOS, and it does me fine with my missus now. No woman wants some pasty, half dead looking farang MATE, they want a healthy, sturdy looking man and the tan on a Caucasian ain't the same looking as a Thai tan anyway because of skin pigment. Just because most farangs there are too much like yourself doesn't mean a convertible isn't good for Thailand weather.

Edited by WarpSpeed

Stop talking nonsense, just get over it, my tan did me just fine when I was in LOS, and it does me fine with my missus now. No woman wants some pasty, half dead looking farang MATE, they want a healthy, sturdy looking man and the tan on a Caucasian ain't the same looking as a Thai tan anyway because of skin pigment. Just because most farangs there are too much like yourself doesn't mean a convertible isn't good for Thailand weather.

give up while you are behind mate.

warpy for you and your obvious blinkered views on how everything should be the same at south beach in the good ole america I present to you two images.

One on a typical day (pick your spot) in Bangkok. The other is of course at night - the time when you and lebron james like to cruise around with your stereos pumping in your face giving convertibles.. Inhale, exhale, deeply when the bus is in front of you on Thonglor.

Now I do agree that if you like your tan cause it makes you look manly (see any Japanese maie here - aka golfers tan = successful) by all means come back and buy a convertible : you'll look super cool driving around alone waiting for people to shout your name "hey stig - how's it going man..." The other type that go for convertibles is the Pattaya rublisk crowd who want to rent a convertible jeep to "cruise, (crawl) down beach road". Perhaps the odd hooker wouldn't mind it because it is a great way to save? gain? can't be lose can it? face.

Suggestion. stick to car talk...

post-22903-0-59221000-1425508767_thumb.j

post-22903-0-55189300-1425508783_thumb.j