Tourism Thailand’s Mini-Film Classified as Creepy by Viewers

Jacob Maslow

Tourism Thailand’s Mini-Film Classified as Creepy by Viewers

love%2Ben%2Broute.jpg

The Tourism Authority of Thailand’s latest film has caused a stir amongst stalking awareness groups and has been seen as ‘creepy’ among critics.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand’s latest video titled “Love en Route” is making headlines for all the wrong reasons. The video is meant to spur tourism in Thailand with a focus on the country’s pristine beaches, temples and beauty. Viewers, however, see a different story being depicted.

“Love en Route” follows an American man that uses the “Love en Route” Instagram user’s profile to travel through Thailand. Negative reviews states that the film is creepy. The American goes through Thailand to find the “Love en Route’s” account owner and is seen more as a stalker than a traveler.

Love sick, he makes advances to the account’s owner several times in an attempt to win her friendship. Eventually, the two spend time together and travel Thailand together before he departs with awkward silence.

Digital Abuse awareness groups and charities are not happy with the video. Digital Trust, a charity that helps abuse victims, states that the film does not depict the real world and relationships. Digital Trust states that the film’s misguided attempt does not take relationships seriously and points to 700,000 victims of stalking in the UK alone.

A member of the Thai tourism board has come to the defense of the film, stating it was not meant for European markets. Meant to be a creative story, the mini-film is intended for the Asian markets where similar concepts are seen on popular television shows.

The Tourism Authority of Thailand further defends the film and adds that they do not encourage stalking behavior. Using social media is a common way of life, and the film is meant to show a harmless tale of romance.

This is not the first time that the tourism ministry has caused a stir with their marketing. Last year, a contest was held where a non-Thai woman could win a luxury holiday along with free plastic surgery.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-03

• Like 1

A member of the Thai tourism board has come to the defense of the film, stating it was not meant for European markets. Meant to be a creative story, the mini-film is intended for the Asian markets where similar concepts are seen on popular television shows.

If it is meant for Asian markets then why is it in English and Subtitled with English and Thai? Who do they think they are fooling?

This is not going to help TAT reach their goals with tourism. They keep wasting money on stupid vdos such as this instead of hard marketing tactics to other countries...

• Like 1

Homo sapiens would never have lasted very long if the males stopped trying after an initial rebuke from a woman he wants to woo. As my grandmother used to say: "A man chases a woman until she catches him."

• Like 1

Yep, looks like TAT made a big mistake here.

If the girl had just smiled, said, "yes" and just been friendly when he first asked if she was the owner. If they had proceeded to just have a good time and everything being casual then it probably would have worked. They should have never portrayed her as being private and reluctant to give up her identity and then for the guy to persist, this did make it stalker-ish.

• Like 2

Thai creativity is never connected to any real business value proposition. That's the challenge of real creativity in business marketing. Not to lose sight of business goals and objectives while be as creative as possible. Thais don't understand this - it's not in their DNA to get this right. They just act out on disconnected bursts of nonsensical narrative based on what disjointed thoughts pop in to their head. Then they try to sell it with a business purpose and act shocked when no one else gets it. This Thai ad director on this "Love en Route" campaign should be terminated immediately. Everyone knows that a campaign like this is preposterous. We all know the connotations of "love en route" advertising for Thailand is.

Creativity in general is never connected to anyone at the TAT. The creativity ends with the people drunk of Thainess enjoying high paid jobs achieved by patronage.

• Like 1

I like the symbolism of when the two travelers put their mobile devices side by side to look at photos, so now, so romantic, oh god I'm gonna cry....

I KNOW!........I had tears running down me cheeks......Oh I filling up again...

• Like 1

As we cannot view (nor have a link) how are we to know?

look above your posting 2 slots, and yes it is creepy, why would i wanna hear a grown man whine about being dumped? looking for luv. i get that on tv every day :-)

A member of the Thai tourism board has come to the defense of the film, stating it was . . . intended for the Asian markets where similar concepts are seen on popular television shows.

Well that's alright then. Why shouldn't TAT ape the soap operas which are blamed by many experts for contributing towards sexist attitudes in Thailand, where official figures give the rape rate as one every 15 minutes?

Honestly, you sometimes wonder where these people were even in the queue when brains were being handed out.

the film does not depict the real world and relationships???

Come on guys when does any Thai film do.....

Have you seen the Daytime TV and Soaps here.....

TIT

TAT are trying to convince Farrang to be Thai or learn Thainess cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

coffee1.gif

TAT bah.gif