Bangkok police shut down cockfighting ring near police station

webfact

Only have to jump over my back fence to see every weekend. Number one sport here. Good bunch of guys. Always enjoy a drink, a punt and a break from the missus and family. Not much different to going to the pub or races back home.

Another ' close to a police station ' story, all too familiar.

This is too funny for words, brash cock fighters anyway! I bet the BIB regret having to make this bust and lose all that tea money. OH!! next week, just check around the other corner. the fighting ring won't be moved very far away...

Another ' close to a police station ' story, all too familiar.

Better to be close to a Police Station to get protection.

I bet the BIB are upset,they will have to find somewhere else for their afternoon gambling sessions

Champion cock fighter of Thailand turned down a cool 2 mil last year somewhere in BKK for his bird. Average life expectancy is 5-6 years. 5k-10k is an average price for the local village champion cock.

• 3 weeks later...

Is it the cock fighting which is illegal, the gambling or both?

I travel to the south regularly and it seems to be very popular down there. Every single weekend literally 100's of pick ups converge on what looks like a purpose built venue right near the center of Chumphon. They even have police directing traffic. It seems a way of life down there, and pretty much every bloke in the area spends there Saturday and Sunday there and no one batters an eye lid.

Gambling is definitely illegal as far as I know. I don't think cock fighting is but when so much illegal activity is ignored I could be wrong. It would seem to be against the first of the 5 precepts of Buddhism since it causes harm although I remember someone on here a few years ago saying that in general it's not as barbaric here as in many places. Either way I doubt it matters under Thai flexi Buddhism.