Beach Worker Protesters Take a Stand Outside the Prime Minister’s Office

Jacob Maslow

post-231994-0-35621600-1424118208_thumb.

Beach workers protest outside of the Prime Minister’s office in hopes of bringing beach chairs and some commercial activity back to the tourist hotspots.

Protests erupted outside of the Prime Minister’s office in Bangkok earlier today. A group of 200 beach workers protested current beach problems. Concerns over the recent control of the beach, granted to the governor of Phuket, were a hot topic of debate.

In total, there were four buses filled with protestors that are demanding changes to current beach conditions.

Recent changes in government policy have caused control of the beaches to be altered in the last year. Local authorities cleared the beaches last year of all commercial activities, leaving beach workers with no jobs or source of income. The new rules even saw illegal restaurants and beach clubs bulldozed.

Amidst the changes, the government has heard a lot of backlash from the beach community. In an effort to tame the unrest, hire umbrellas and services were restored on 10 percent of each of the biggest beaches in Phuket.

Letters provided during the protest blame the prime minister for taking action before understanding the consequences of changing beach policies. Beach workers are concerned that tourism on the beaches will drop greatly as a result of the changes.

There has been little relief provided by the 10 percent rule enacted on the beaches. Protestors state that beach chairs are not allowed, but mats and umbrellas are. Tourists can be arrested or fined under new government policies for bringing their own beach chair on the beach. Older tourists or the disabled may no longer visit the beaches as a result.

Concerns have also been brought against the growing number of jet-skis seen along the seafront in Patong.

Mayors stressed that enforcing the new 10 percent rule is becoming more difficult. Later in the week, the governor is expected to listen to agencies in Phuket that are losing customers due to beach changes.

tvn.png
-- 2015-03-04

• Like 1

Let me get this straight. The protesters are upset because the government has put a halt to all their ILLEGAL activities.

LOL.... Only in Amazing Thailand. cheesy.gifcheesy.gifcheesy.gif

And yes, let's reign in the jetskies everywhere. They and the people who ride them are nothing but a nuisance. At a minimum, move the jetskies to a location well away from the main beach and swimmers and place restrictions on where the jetskies are allowed to go when in use.

• Like 1

Just let it grow. Beaches are being turned into 3rd world trash market places. You can not even get to the water line on some beaches, Pattaya and Jom Tien, for all the umbrellas and uncomfortable chairs. If you venture into that mess you will be expected to say no thank you 80 times an hour. Thai beaches are the last beaches on my itinerary.bah.gifbah.gifbah.gifbah.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gifw00t.gif

I'm in Pattaya now and they have opened space on the beach that is being enjoyed by thousands of tourists. The remaining 'chair area' filled with almost empty chairs still covering half the beach though.

Why do they set up thousands of empty chairs? A small percentage of them are in use. Stop the greedy, unethical games and let the people have their beach back!

Tourists have voted. They don't want the chairs covering the sand.

and....What ever happened to the crooked government officials that sold the beach to these guys?

Give these vendors an inch and they take a mile. Don't let them back. They blew their chance.

-Abusing tourists that won't rent a chair.

-Covering the beach with empty chairs to prevent tourists from using the public space.

-Overcharging/scamming.

-Entering deal with criminals at City Hall that sold them our beach.

-Pushy/inconsiderate vendors pestering tourists trying to relax. Rude and disrespectful. By By!

SCREW THEM.

I am in favour of a chair concession but only set up a chair when requested. That's a win win situation.

And don't make the scenic beach into a shanty town slum again. Haul that gear away at night. The beach is not your personal warehouse...

well said and agree with every point you made

they can rent out the beach equipment from somewhere off the beach then what is on the beach is what is in use

It has to be said also that the current solution in Phuket is quite frankly ridiculous, people want to use chairs and loungers so offer them for rent by licenced vendors operating near the beach but not on them - how complicated is that

This is nothing more than a power struggle between the authorities and local mafia and it is the tourists and beach users that are needlessly suffering

PM Prayuth Chan (O) Cha ..........................sort this out with a directive that applies to all the beaches and resorts across the country - one single policy and put an end to this lunacy now

I'm in Pattaya now and they have opened space on the beach that is being enjoyed by thousands of tourists. The remaining 'chair area' filled with almost empty chairs still covering half the beach though.

Why do they set up thousands of empty chairs? A small percentage of them are in use. Stop the greedy, unethical games and let the people have their beach back!

and....What ever happened to the crooked government officials that sold the beach to these guys?

Give these vendors an inch and they take a mile. Don't let them back. They blew their chance.

-Covering the beach with empty chairs to prevent tourists from using the public space.

-Overcharging/scamming.

-Pushy/inconsiderate vendors pestering tourists trying to relax. Rude and disrespectful. By By!

SCREW THEM.

I am in favour of a chair concession but only set up a chair when requested. That's a win win situation.

And don't make the scenic beach into a shanty town slum again. Haul that gear away at night. The beach is not your personal warehouse...

well said and agree with every point you made

they can rent out the beach equipment from somewhere off the beach then what is on the beach is what is in use

It has to be said also that the current solution in Phuket is quite frankly ridiculous, people want to use chairs and loungers so offer them for rent by licenced vendors operating near the beach but not on them - how complicated is that

This is nothing more than a power struggle between the authorities and local mafia and it is the tourists and beach users that are needlessly suffering

PM Prayuth Chan (O) Cha ..........................sort this out with a directive that applies to all the beaches and resorts across the country - one single policy and put an end to this lunacy now

Those 10% area's.. what is wrong with them. Unless they can show pictures of those being over crowded then there is always an alternative is there not ?

I will say it again. I want my beach lounge chair back, I want some old woman to come along and give me snacks and drinks, I want an umbrella to give me shade from the sun. Why the hell go to the beach if I have to lay on some little mat and get my balls full of sand. This is why people come to Thailand (people with money that is). People have been coming here for years for the same reason and now you are going to lose them.

• Like 2

-Overcharging/scamming.

SCREW THEM.

It's funny to see the folks luxuriating on a beach that was urinated and defecated on all night by humans and thousands of rats.

-Overcharging/scamming.

SCREW THEM.

Perhaps we could just ban Thai people from the beach area-especially the poor ones who need to make a living!

-Overcharging/scamming.

SCREW THEM.

Perhaps we could just ban Thai people from the beach area-especially the poor ones who need to make a living!

Ban poor Thai people from the beach??? Nonsence post. How can we have a discussion with unreasonable comments like that?

A beach chair for any tourist that wants one is what I propose.

How would that impact the "poor Thais"?

My proposal would prevent the scammers from blockading the entire beach with empty chairs thus forcing tourists into using their services.

Not nice.

Why is everyone forgetting about the 10% area where there are beach chairs massages and vendors ?

Unless someone can show me its overcrowded.. seems its just a matter of not wanting to walk towards there.

This comment is so true for many of us. I 100% agree. I will say it again. I want my beach lounge chair back, I want some old woman to come along and give me snacks and drinks, I want an umbrella to give me shade from the sun. Why the hell go to the beach if I have to lay on some little mat and get my balls full of sand. This is why people come to Thailand (people with money that is). People have been coming here for years for the same reason and now you are going to lose them.

Exactly: We are blessed by all these vendors and the goods, services and wares they provide. Going to the beach needs no preparation, or planning. You can buy or hire everything you need. This is why we come to Thailand. We come for this kind of service on the beach and in other places.

• Like 1

This comment is so true for many of us. I 100% agree. I will say it again. I want my beach lounge chair back, I want some old woman to come along and give me snacks and drinks, I want an umbrella to give me shade from the sun. Why the hell go to the beach if I have to lay on some little mat and get my balls full of sand. This is why people come to Thailand (people with money that is). People have been coming here for years for the same reason and now you are going to lose them.

Exactly: We are blessed by all these vendors and the goods, services and wares they provide. Going to the beach needs no preparation, or planning. You can buy or hire everything you need. This is why we come to Thailand. We come for this kind of service on the beach and in other places.

Still available in the 10% area.. just need to walk a bit further.

-Overcharging/scamming.

SCREW THEM.

I think it's great that people are enjoying the beach in Pattaya and choosing not to use the chairs is their choice. However, I'd bet they would be happier if they were allowed to put a parasol up for some shade? Skin cancer is the fastest growing form of cancer today. Shade - or the opportunity of shade at least - is a good thing.

• Like 1

-Overcharging/scamming.

SCREW THEM.

I think it's great that people are enjoying the beach in Pattaya and choosing not to use the chairs is their choice. However, I'd bet they would be happier if they were allowed to put a parasol up for some shade? Skin cancer is the fastest growing form of cancer today. Shade - or the opportunity of shade at least - is a good thing.

I go by the beach everyday. The new open space is very popular and I see most of the chairs are empty. More open space is very necessary.

The empty chairs need to be put away.

There is no shortage of chairs in Pattaya. Thousand of empty chairs still in fact.

A chair for anybody that needs one I say!. I think it's a great idea.

80-90% of the chairs shoud go though. Of course leave just enough as needed.

Blocking the beach with thousands of empty chairs is poor form and looks crappy.

Not sure why more people do not rent the chairs under the unbrellas

We were there a while back and the chairs only cost 40 baht for the day

Some time in the sand and heat and some in the shade

Maybe people just cost a lot so they do not bother

Did notice that none of the chair/umbrella had price lists visible, maybe they should

but with all the empty chairs it is good for now that a lot have been cleared

Now if they could just get rid of people hawking crap all day, gets fricken annoying

being offered stuff every two minutes

So here we have a fair number people out of work and over there, we have beaches strewn with litter, fag ends, empty bottles and all manner of crap.

So put the two together and have the Phuket administration permanently employ these individuals as beach cleaners. Problem solved!

• Like 2

Haha that is an instant classic video.....He had the look of a jet ski mafia boy.

He is lucky her Russian husband did not come back and break him in two.....

Guess she will not be back as a tourist.

But this is the reason why beach beds should be banned. For Thais its all or nothing. The 10% areas are a nice solution. So far nobody commented why the people can't go there.

Criminals at City Hall 'stole the beach' from the public and sold it to these chair vendors.

Beach chair vendors paid around 120,000Bt. - 210,000Bt. per year for a 10 meter section.

In Samui there was over 1,000 meters leased out. City Hall staff was pocketing around 12-20 million a year!

Have the criminals at City Hall been arrested and forced to repay these poor people?