ASEAN - What are the updates, and the benefits?

Mcffee

I wonder what's happening with ASEAN, has this plan be ditched or does Thailand denies it to protect the own market? Did not hear about it for a long time.

I am specially interested in the answer to if Philipinos now are allowed to travel free to Thailand and work also? And Laotions?

asean-map1-1.jpg

• 2 weeks later...

Thailand will be protective of the thai workforce.

Thai, people, have Never embraced the rich white hunter , alien farang, into their culture , and never will .clap2.gifclap2.gif

So , why should they allow people from poorer countries , to work for lower wages in Thailand.

Same as the EU. whose failure has been in allowing poorer countries to join .

Thailand will not make the same mistake . Protect what you have.

P.S. Third world economic plan is sustainable. is the future , like it or not .

No work , No pay, wai2.gif

Edited by elliss

Thai, people, have Never embraced the rich white hunter , alien farang, into their culture , and never will .clap2.gifclap2.gif

So , why should they allow people from poorer countries , to work for lower wages in Thailand.

Actually I believe Thailand already allows workers from poorer neighbour countries. If understood right, they can get work permit quite easily, to work for example in construction industry in Bangkok.

ASEAN's track record in almost every field of member co-operation has been abysmal since its inception. It is then a fair bet that not much, barring a few cosmetic adjustments for face's sake, will change in the near future.

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere along the lines of "How many SE Asians does it take to change a lightbulb?", perhaps some other bright spark would like to elaborate.

Other countries also recruit cheap labor from Thailand. My girls friend is working in Turkey as a cleaner in a hotel she is there for a year. They paid for her flight there and needs to fulfill the one year agreement for ticket back home.

Have you seen the children from Cambodia selling roses in Bangkok ?

Western-idea of big brother or consolidating Asia...I want no part of the destruction of culture, national-economies and control over logistics....you can stuff ASEAN right-up Henry Kissinger's and George Sorro's, Rothchild's and Rockerfeller's behinds, where it first came from.

I will tell you why, coz Thai's in general NOT ALL...are too lazy to do menial labouring work if they can choose not too.

I dont know where you get that info from, its obviously not based on first hand experience..... lmao.

I will give you an example purely what i have experienced over the years in the construction industry here...... 70% of the unskilled labouring workforce on large construction sites are workers from other countries, ie Myanmar, Cambodia predominately, they are cheaper than Thais, more productive and are MORE respectable thats why they are valued by employers here.......Thais generally work in the more skilled trades, ie Carpenters, MEP trades etc, BUT, the labouring workers from other ASEAN countries do alot of this skilled work anyway, and in my experience do it better than the Thais, because they listen and are there to work, not just roll up chat and think its their god given right to work at their own pace...

If you chip a lazy Thai, they lose face and either steal, sabotage something, or just leave, this does not happen with other country workers through my experience, as they are generally appreciative of their job being away from their native home.......I could go on about upper management roles, but it is irrelevant to this thread. Cheers.

Actually I believe Thailand already allows workers from poorer neighbour countries. If understood right, they can get work permit quite easily, to work for example in construction industry in Bangkok.

I think Elliss posted without a shred of evidence to back up his statement

• 1 month later...

ASEAN's track record in almost every field of member co-operation has been abysmal since its inception. It is then a fair bet that not much, barring a few cosmetic adjustments for face's sake, will change in the near future.

I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere along the lines of "How many SE Asians does it take to change a lightbulb?", perhaps some other bright spark would like to elaborate.

Exactly. The GMS cross-border transport agreement is one example - basically in general, you can't drive a car or motorcycle or bus/truck registered in one member state to a third country (with a couple of exceptions) despite this agreement having been "signed" in 2003, but basically most member states have decided to ignore the agreement, which brings up the question, why even agree to it in the first place, if you're not going to implement it anyway?

On the question asked by the OP, nowhere have I read about freedom of movement of labour, except in a few skilled occupations but even then it won't be as easy as just showing up at the border. Most likely a work visa will still be required, but it will be easier to obtain and renew. That's about it. But...that's if a Thai hospital, law firm, engineering company will even want to accept such ASEAN foreigner to work for them. In higher skilled positions, I don't really see it happening, besides, there's also the obvious lack of Thai language skills (except for Lao nationals, who generally speak Thai as Lao is already quite close and they tend to watch Thai TV, even type in Thai).

On the question asked by the OP, nowhere have I read about freedom of movement of labour, except in a few skilled occupations but even then it won't be as easy as just showing up at the border. Most likely a work visa will still be required, but it will be easier to obtain and renew. That's about it. But...that's if a Thai hospital, law firm, engineering company will even want to accept such ASEAN foreigner to work for them. In higher skilled positions, I don't really see it happening, besides, there's also the obvious lack of Thai language skills (except for Lao nationals, who generally speak Thai as Lao is already quite close and they tend to watch Thai TV, even type in Thai).

Several of the larger hospitals already employ Filipinos in customer service and public relations roles, due to their superior language skills and ability to interact with foreign patients on a more relaxed footing. Presumably, the oil and gas industry also has diverse foreigners in a variety of positions. The Thais are therefore not totally resistant to the idea. As with pretty much everything in this part of the world, it will generally depend on what economic advantage an employer perceives he will be able to wring from the undesirable presence of foreign employees.

Edited by Rumpole