Question: Heat from bikes riding in Thailand

• Replies 118
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

^^

Yeah- you don't want a heavy 428lb (wet weight) Hypermotard with 108hp when you can have a 'light' 570lb scooter with a 61" wheelbase that puts out 40hp (and would cost about 500K if you could find one at an importer, not to mention a service center- good luck with that)- that's the perfect Bangkok commuter bike...

Come on, at least do a couple minute's research on the bikes in question before offering advice- there are traffic environments where the Piaggio would be a good choice- Bangkok isn't one of them.

As far as the 'stolen' comment goes, a bike like a Wave or CBR250 is more likely to get stolen due to the greater demand and easier distribution for parts- we have a lot of Ducati owners here, and I don't recall any of them complaining about a stolen bike in LOS.

- MT-09 is horribly overpriced in TH. From 8.000 USD (which equals ~240.000 THB) they come up with 435.000 THB as the local price - buh

Mt/FZ-09 is overpriced but it's fairer to say that the US market gets it for an absolute bargain price, not that here it's horribly overpriced, particularly given that it's a CBU import. The UK price isn't much under 400,000. It's by no means a perfect bike but it is well suited to everyday use in BKK.

GOOD = 420 lbs (190 kg) wet; 100+ hp; 60 ft/lb (80 nm) torque; motard riding position; grin factor

BAD = stock suspension (although many people have no problems with it); no ABS (not a problem for me but appreciate is for some); stock seat; poor Yamaha aftersales support in Thailand

The story unfolds... rather unexpected and not with a happy ending.

Went to the Motorshow, marveled at the new Multistrada 1200S and the Yamaha MT-07 and made arrangements with Ducati.

At Ducati:

All Hypermotards they promised me were sold... (even though there was an imo ugly special Model at the show) .

After me getting closer to Honda a used Motard with just 1.300km emerged for 400k, that is 100k less than new.

I thought it was a show bike, they promised the same package as for a new one... ok, on my way to Ducati.

It turned out to be the private bike from the Ducati factory Director (owner?), which was 1 year old, 1.300km... that made me think a lot.

First I thought they might have tempered with the meter... but the bike seemed to bet in good shape, even the tires were hardly driven.

I did a test drive, the bike runs really good but damn,the heat... yes a short ride reminded me of the heat again, my ankles getting fried.... and felt like chicken wings.

Phone call after that and 10k more discount and I agreed.

A few more phone calls later, they suddenly changed the conditions... as they heard it is a stupid farang, suddenly no free maintenance package as promised and all other costs on me anyway... I felt shitty in that situation and I said thank you no thank you.

Next day to Honda BigWing... a different dealer I didn't know before... I could test ride the cb650f and the cb500x.

Even though I prefer 2 cylinders over 4, the 650f felt so much better then the 500... and by far not that hot.... (that I thought)

Next day, early morning bank run, later the run to the dealer... only to realize I left my ID at home... so back and forth again... by this time is was scorching hot in the midday sun and traffic.

Buying a bike takes forever... the people works in slow-motions... I live so long in Thailand and still have a hard time to deal with that.

Finally driving the new bike home...

...just to realize, the CB650F takes much longer to get hot... yes... but she fries my ankles similar to the Ducati... not happy at all

Frustrating that this would have never happened in Germany where you can have a proper Testdrive, not only once around the block.

In addition I can't really enjoy the sound and the characteristics of the 4 cylinder even though the engine is great , no question about that

and now?

Should I...

A. Ordering a (new) Hypermotard as long as I get the higher setup? (btw with the optional racing seat the bike feels even better)

B. Selling the Honda before I get the license plate? How much will I loose on a new bike?

The story unfolds... rather unexpected and not with a happy ending.

Went to the Motorshow, marveled at the new Multistrada 1200S and the Yamaha MT-07 and made arrangements with Ducati.

At Ducati:

All Hypermotards they promised me were sold... (even though there was an imo ugly special Model at the show) .

After me getting closer to Honda a used Motard with just 1.300km emerged for 400k, that is 100k less than new.

I thought it was a show bike, they promised the same package as for a new one... ok, on my way to Ducati.

It turned out to be the private bike from the Ducati factory Director (owner?), which was 1 year old, 1.300km... that made me think a lot.

First I thought they might have tempered with the meter... but the bike seemed to bet in good shape, even the tires were hardly driven.

I did a test drive, the bike runs really good but damn,the heat... yes a short ride reminded me of the heat again, my ankles getting fried.... and felt like chicken wings.

Phone call after that and 10k more discount and I agreed.

A few more phone calls later, they suddenly changed the conditions... as they heard it is a stupid farang, suddenly no free maintenance package as promised and all other costs on me anyway... I felt shitty in that situation and I said thank you no thank you.

Next day to Honda BigWing... a different dealer I didn't know before... I could test ride the cb650f and the cb500x.

Even though I prefer 2 cylinders over 4, the 650f felt so much better then the 500... and by far not that hot.... (that I thought)

Next day, early morning bank run, later the run to the dealer... only to realize I left my ID at home... so back and forth again... by this time is was scorching hot in the midday sun and traffic.

Buying a bike takes forever... the people works in slow-motions... I live so long in Thailand and still have a hard time to deal with that.

Finally driving the new bike home...

...just to realize, the CB650F takes much longer to get hot... yes... but she fries my ankles similar to the Ducati... not happy at all

Frustrating that this would have never happened in Germany where you can have a proper Testdrive, not only once around the block.

In addition I can't really enjoy the sound and the characteristics of the 4 cylinder even though the engine is great , no question about that

and now?

Should I...

A. Ordering a (new) Hypermotard as long as I get the higher setup? (btw with the optional racing seat the bike feels even better)

B. Selling the Honda before I get the license plate? How much will I loose on a new bike?

Seriously, wear proper riding boots with socks and preferably not shorts. You won't notice the heat so much

Weird that the CB650F fries your ankles, are you riding in shorts? I rode it 1500 km and never felt my ankles getting too hot. During a test drive a year ago I did notice quite a bit of heat in city traffic on a hot day but it was certainly not painful or even annoying. My new Ducati on the other hand... holy crap does that thing radiate heat.

Could be something with new bikes. Whenever I have bought new (3 bikes) the thing seemed to get really hot quite quickly but after a few weeks it stopped. Yes sometimes it ran hot but mostly was just fine. My advice is to give your new Honda some time and see how it goes. You will lose a lot of money selling it now and you may even end up buying something hotter.

I'm riding with dainese pants with kevlar inlay, socks and decent shoes, no boots though. The ankles are covered by the pants. And yes it gets damn hot, ankles and calves. Even at night it is not pleasant... But much better no question. I can position my legs a little different to decrease the exposure to the heat but in principle it doesn't change much.

If that heat would get better after it is broke in I would be a happy camper. I doubt it though. Currently I do not Rev it over 5000... How will it be when I drive the 4 cylinder the way he wants me to?

Edited by foodieontour

Weird that the CB650F fries your ankles, are you riding in shorts? I rode it 1500 km and never felt my ankles getting too hot. During a test drive a year ago I did notice quite a bit of heat in city traffic on a hot day but it was certainly not painful or even annoying. My new Ducati on the other hand... holy crap does that thing radiate heat.

May I ask which Ducati you are talking about?

I did ride the Hypermotard and the 2014 Multistrada in the midday heat. Both were pretty hot after short rides but I pushed them a little to be frank and the Motard was the hotter one.

Since a proper test drive is simply not possible, I rely on second hand information... would help me a lot to hear about your experience and model.

My heart still pounds for the Hypermotard... the little boy in me is not satisfied yet.wink.png

I have a Scrambler. It's still in break-in phase but I also doubt it will get much better after that. It gets hot on the legs, the frame including grabrails etc. Not pleasant when on a redlight. I think it doesn't make a difference regarding pushing the bike or not. Maybe thats because it is air cooled but when pushing it you tend to go faster which gives it much better ventilation. I'd be a happy camper with a heat production like the CB650F has.

What I noticed with the CB650F and my CBR500R is that the seating position can make a tremendous difference in terms of heat on your legs because the heat radiates in a certain place so if you get your legs a bit differently aligned, it's much better.

What I noticed with the CB650F and my CBR500R is that the seating position can make a tremendous difference in terms of heat on your legs because the heat radiates in a certain place so if you get your legs a bit differently aligned, it's much better.

That is correct. For shifting and breaking though I have to bring the legs back in the position of heat exposure.

Sounds to me like whatever big bike you ride you're always going to have a problem with the heat. Either learn to live with it or don't buy a big bike.

"scorching hot in the midday sun and traffic" - you said it all there.

I agree. Not only is it beyond me taking engine heat as a decisive factor when buying a bike, but the fact that this thread has been going for so long is even more surprising.

Maybe it's time for the OP to forget bikes and to get a car with a good air conditioner...

• 2 weeks later...

I really enjoy the 'what bike should I get' threads as it's like 'fantasy bike shopping! smile.png

But your list has a big price range? Normally there's budget constraints as well as the practical touring vs city considerations.

From your list I reckon the CB650F is the best value/capability option that fits your needs of city, fun rides and not for touring, and the Ducati is in a different price band.

Correct observation. And good that you enjoy it rather being annoyed by it.

Let me answer it this way: I was originally hooked on the 2015 Multistrada S, which will not be available for me locally produced before Oct this year.

The import S model is currently priced with 1,4+ Mio THB the old S was around 1 Mio at the with big discount - nobody wants it anymore. BTW, I just have been in Florida on business where the imported 2015 Multistrada S goes for 19.700 USD which equals roughly 650k THB. That is less than half from here. That sucks big time... ah, and available in first week of April, even in white... gnarl

Anyway... back to my point, compared to a Multistrada or BMW GS 1200 the price range we are talking here (around 300k-500k) is a bargain... the whole "fun bike for town" idea hit me rather unexpected but hard.

...and yes I am aware that I can't compare those and I do have a distorded view on that because I am greedy for a fun toy, eager to get that into my hands... human I might argue.

I agree with you, a good price point is always a very convincing reason. For instance, when the 500k price of the Hypermotard compared to eventuall 330k vor a Kaw Versys 650 + 250k for a Yam MT-07. That would be a sweet solution.

I will sure buy a touring machine anyway... somewhat later.

...also without the heat experience from the Ducati, I would have never started this thread.

The Yamaha Thailand website shows the information for an FZ-09, but nothing for either the FZ-07 or the MT-07. For the MT-07, above you mention a 250K price point, which sounds pretty attractive, but I can't ascertain if the bike is available here or not. For what it's worth, I also am pondering which middleweight bike to buy! Do you have any information you can share about this?

^ Don't you read the responses to the thread you posted recently?? Here's mine again, which I see you liked last time around!

Posted 2015-04-10 16:27:17

The choice of new bikes should also include the Yamaha MT-07 - now on sale here for 299,000 with ABS.

Street Triple R is I'd say the best naked middleweight 'out of the box' and price is now 465,000 I think, as opposed to 750,000 last year. The FZ-09 has a bigger and better engine than the Striple but stock suspension isn't as good and it doesn't have ABS. It is however a lot of fun.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/815934-best-middleweight-naked-bike-in-thailand/

^ Don't you read the responses to the thread you posted recently?? Here's mine again, which I see you liked last time around!

Posted 2015-04-10 16:27:17

The choice of new bikes should also include the Yamaha MT-07 - now on sale here for 299,000 with ABS.

Street Triple R is I'd say the best naked middleweight 'out of the box' and price is now 465,000 I think, as opposed to 750,000 last year. The FZ-09 has a bigger and better engine than the Striple but stock suspension isn't as good and it doesn't have ABS. It is however a lot of fun.

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/815934-best-middleweight-naked-bike-in-thailand/

Well, the OP mentioned 250K, not 299K - but I must admit that I overlooked that figure in your reply to my post. Thanks for re-posting. FWIW, I still like your reply! biggrin.png

Edited by funlovinkid

• 8 months later...

I own a CBR 250R and have been thinking about upgrading to a bigger bike. But the extra heat is a big minus for me. I test drove a Ninja 650 and CB650F and was a little disappointed by both of them. The only advantage they seem to have is more power, which i cant use much in the city anyway. I wanted to test drive the MT07 but the dealer wouldn't let me, and today i just heard it gets really hot. I've done a lot of two up touring on my 250, and its especially good since I attached an aftermarket luggage rack and strap on a duffel bag with bungee cords. Used CBR 250s are going for about 50k baht now. I can't imagine a better value in Thailand. Heat is never an issue on the 250. Does anyone else have any thoughts on the CBR250/300 or the Ninja 300 or R3? I think these bikes are perfect for Thailand.

I own a Ducati Diavel and a Honda CB650F and IMO all Ducatis are hot. Cruising down the highway at 120 kph you don't notice it but the minute that you hit one of the long Thailand stop lights you will start to bake on a Ducati. Ducatis are the most fun to ride but all of that horsepower generates heat and it has to go somewhere. The Honda is a different story, not much heat at all and you could ride it with shorts if you wanted to, very little heat and trouble free maintenance. Since you already have the PCX for tooling around town it's up to you if you want to put up with the heat from the Ducati.

I just got myself the honda cb650f from honda big wing and am in love. Paid 280,00

i have the cbr 650f it does get hot on your legs maybe the cb650f is less hot as no fairing to funnel more heat to your legs, with long trousers its no problem

I just got myself the honda cb650f from honda big wing and am in love. Paid 280,00

i have the cbr 650f it does get hot on your legs maybe the cb650f is less hot as no fairing to funnel more heat to your legs, with long trousers its no problem

The CB650F does also get hot but it's only a problem when riding with shorts and lots of stop and go traffic imho.

My air cooled Scrambler gets WAY hotter than the Hondas and I can tollerate it now as long as I'm not stuck in stop and go. Just have to be careful to not touch anything smile.png

My CBR500R never gets really so hot as to be annoying. Even with shorts and stop and go. Just a nice warmth.

Stopped at a red light, I felt like I had a barbecue grill between my legs when riding the air cooled Ducati Monster.

Then, with a bike like this, you need to wear protection. On top of that, add the tropical heat to the equation.

All that heat reduces the pleasure factor for me.

Then you have the ratio of 400 slow scooters for every big bike out there. Not compatible with the traffic or numerous hazards that pop up all the time...Thailand is just not that great for big bikes.

Hmm, I have to disagree. I think Thailand is great for big bikes. You can ride all year round, compared to 6-7months in Europe. Much more freedom too. When I ride in Europe, I'm always worried about the police and hidden radar traps. If I lived closer to the mountains here, riding would be near perfect. Heat doesn't affect me much, nor the rain. Police harassment (or the fear of it) on the other hand, takes away a big chunk of fun.

Now, if you're talking about riding a big bike in Bangkok, I have to agree 100%.

I have to disagree 100%, riding in Bangkok is fun and perfectly fine (most of the time), just don't choose something too big and clumsy and you are good to go. For my daily commute I have a CB300F, it's lightweight, quick and nimble. For a good bit of touring I went with BMW 800, but it gets a bit uncomfortable after about an hour, the seat is just not right for me I guess.

Never been stopped by police on either bike, so I am either lucky or I drive at the right times!

If sat in traffic the 300 does heat up abit, but the 800, no real issues (then again, not really had it long)

I own a Ducati Diavel and a Honda CB650F and IMO all Ducatis are hot. Cruising down the highway at 120 kph you don't notice it but the minute that you hit one of the long Thailand stop lights you will start to bake on a Ducati. Ducatis are the most fun to ride but all of that horsepower generates heat and it has to go somewhere. The Honda is a different story, not much heat at all and you could ride it with shorts if you wanted to, very little heat and trouble free maintenance. Since you already have the PCX for tooling around town it's up to you if you want to put up with the heat from the Ducati.

By now nearly a year passed since my OP and I ended up with both bike you seem to own. First the CB650F, which I liked a lot and now the Ducati Diavel which is just ridiculous and I love without comparison. It is by far the most fun I ever had in my life. I try to drive it as much as possible, even in the heart of Bangkok traffic... And finally I found myself in a spot where I don't care about the heat anymore.

To be clear, both bikes get hot in traffic and are reasonable once you have the chance to drive and not only wait at traffic lights in between the hot AC air from cars.

What did help are full Kevlar jeans from Dainese and proper shoes. Otherwise I came to the conclusion to just "suck it up".

Biking in Thailand as well as in Bangkok is awesome and the best fun ever. Totally worth to suffer through heat dissipating hellish machines. That it what life is for.

Enjoy!

By now nearly a year passed since my OP and I ended up with both bike you seem to own. First the CB650F, which I liked a lot and now the Ducati Diavel which is just ridiculous and I love without comparison. It is by far the most fun I ever had in my life. I try to drive it as much as possible, even in the heart of Bangkok traffic... And finally I found myself in a spot where I don't care about the heat anymore.

To be clear, both bikes get hot in traffic and are reasonable once you have the chance to drive and not only wait at traffic lights in between the hot AC air from cars.

What did help are full Kevlar jeans from Dainese and proper shoes. Otherwise I came to the conclusion to just "suck it up".

Biking in Thailand as well as in Bangkok is awesome and the best fun ever. Totally worth to suffer through heat dissipating hellish machines. That it what life is for.

Enjoy!

Unusual that we would both have the same two bikes. I had a Monster before the Diavel and a CB500F before the CB650F. Like you, I enjoy riding my Diavel but to me my Diavel gets much hotter than the CB650F. I do ride with boots and jeans on the Diavel but sometimes I ride with shorts and tennis shoes on the CB650F with no problem on short trips around town. For long distance touring I always take the Honda but right after I bought my Diavel I made a couple of 400 km overnight trips, I've had it a couple of years now, the 650 about one year.

Unusual that we would both have the same two bikes. I had a Monster before the Diavel and a CB500F before the CB650F. Like you, I enjoy riding my Diavel but to me my Diavel gets much hotter than the CB650F. I do ride with boots and jeans on the Diavel but sometimes I ride with shorts and tennis shoes on the CB650F with no problem on short trips around town. For long distance touring I always take the Honda but right after I bought my Diavel I made a couple of 400 km overnight trips, I've had it a couple of years now, the 650 about one year.

Unusual indeed... I would say good taste hahaha.

I sold the CB650F a while ago, just four months old.- never rode it anymore after buying the Diavel. Now with the PCX and the Diavel left it is pretty much all the time the Diavel key I'm grabbing when leaving the house.

In the past few months since buying the Ducati I clocked over 8.000 km on it (including one trip to Chiang Mai) and not even 500 km on the PCX. Enough said.

Yes, the Diavel is hotter that the CB650F, no question about that. Totally worth it though...

It sounds you have the old Diavel version. Try the new engine, it's so awesome and brutal... In a good way. I know the old engine only from last year's Multistrada and was underwhelmed from its power characteristics, not the insane kick in the back that is so addictive.

Now I'm curiously look towards the new XDiavel. She looks awesome, much cleaner and leaner and the engine seems to have even more torque in low revs. It is to be seen if it keeps its brutal power over the rest of the Rev range and how high you can rev the engine... not that I would test the limiter anyway.

Another bike I am having on my mind is the classic for touring, a BMW 1200GSA. I was about to order one... when I was informed that they do the same crap as with the Hypermotard: the Thai version is significantly lowered, not only the seat, the whole so and an imported version with original height totally overpriced. I'm not amused to say the least. For touring I'm undecided by now. As much as I love Ducati and the looks of the new Multistrada S in white, they are not reliable enough for touring imo and having a shaft drive opposed to a chain is awesome on long trips.

Heat wise... The 1200 GS BMW I drove did not get very hot, despite the big engine. But they don't let you drive long enough to find that out and a touring scenario does not suffer from that same issues like Bangkok rush hour traffic.

BTW, If you are in Bangkok we should get together for a ride once...

... until then enjoy your hellish machines to the fullest!