Thailand tests floating homes in region grappling with floods - TRFN

webfact

FEATURE
Thailand tests floating homes in region grappling with floods - TRFN

BY ALISA TANG

AYUTTHAYA, Thailand, March 5 (Thomson Reuters Foundation) - N estled among hundreds of identical white and brown two-storey homes crammed in this neighbourhood for factory workers is a house with a trick - one not immediately apparent from its green-painted drywall and grey shade panels.

Hidden under the house and its wraparound porch are steel pontoons filled with Styrofoam. These can lift the structure three metres off the ground if this area, two hours north of Bangkok, floods as it did in 2011 when two-thirds of the country was inundated, affecting a fifth of its 67 million people.

The 2.8 million baht ($86,000) amphibious house in Ban Sang village is one way architects, developers and governments around the world are brainstorming solutions as climate change brews storms, floods and rising sea levels that threaten communities in low-lying coastal cities.

"We can try to build walls to keep the water out, but that might not be a sustainable permanent solution," said architect Chuta Sinthuphan of Site-Specific Co. Ltd, the firm that designed and built the house for Thailand's National Housing Authority.

Full story: http://in.reuters.com/article/2015/03/05/disaster-risk-architecture-feature-pix-f-idINL4N0W147L20150305

reuterslogo.jpg
-- Reuters 2015-03-05

All that is needed are 4 outboard motors.

Yes you are right......that's what is only needed......................

This is a picture of my wife and some other nurses helping in the Nonthambury floods.

Do you think 5 motors would be better?

post-71107-0-27940100-1425528528_thumb.j

Edited by Costas2008

All that is needed are 4 outboard motors.

Yes you are right......that's what is only needed......................

This is a picture of my wife and some other nurses helping in the Nonthambury floods.

Do you think 5 motors would be better?

IMG_1020.JPG

Nahhhh...5 motorcycle taxis would be more practical in such a flood ?

Why in the world would they have to test this?

It's my understanding this is how it use to be many years ago. When the floods came all the homes just floated up on the water and the entire economy turned into a floating economy. Everybody got everywhere on boats and locals sold there goods by boat. Nobody was bothered by the floods for the short time they existed, life went on as usual...mostly.

I know it won't take hold because it's all too practical and makes way too much sense.

It's my understanding this is how it use to be many years ago. When the floods came all the homes just floated up on the water and the entire economy turned into a floating economy. Everybody got everywhere on boats and locals sold there goods by boat. Nobody was bothered by the floods for the short time they existed, life went on as usual...mostly.

I know it won't take hold because it's all too practical and makes way too much sense.

hmm where did they hmmm visit the hong nam?

floods arent fun. unless you like little brown smelly floaters

Edited by rabid old goat

Floating homes ? In the UK we call them narrowboats and i have several friends who have lived on them for years. I think the designs have already been proven practical over the several hundred years that they have been making them.

Here is a radical idea that maybe déjà vie: build houses on stilts...

• Like 1