Size matters: Phones as big as they can get for easy use

thai tech

Size matters: Phones as big as they can get for easy use
iphone-6-camera-700x336.jpg

NEW YORK (AP) — There was a time you could count on phones getting larger each year. Samsung’s runaway success with the big-screen smartphone even spurred Apple to release a supersized model last fall. But if phones get any bigger will they be too hard to use?

That’s the worry of some smartphone makers, and the reason why many of the new models this year didn’t grow. LG even shrank the G Flex 2 to a 5.5-inch screen, as measured diagonally, compared with 6 inches before.

So, how much does size matter?

Read more: http://tech.thaivisa.com/size-matters-phones-as-big-as-they-can-get-for-easy-use/6269/

• 2 weeks later...

Having a large phone changes the dynamics and convenience of carrying the things around. I have my shirt pocket test. If it doesn't go in that then it means at some time having to lug the thing around either in a bag or getting away with it if wearing cargo shorts. So that means 4.5" is the limit for me. Seeing guys grasping on to their 5.5" machines looks silly. Women can carry it off better, but I'm damned if I will. Now that the price has dropped the Apple 5 looks to be the best option. So yes, size matters but I'm a hold out here.

When Samsung first introduced the 5+ inch note, what; 4 years ago, online "experts" almost universally panned it and dismissed it as a novelty with limited appeal...

"Who's going to want to carry something that big in their pocket?"

"Too big for most peoples hands."

"Will never replace the new tablets."

"Clunky!"

Now, almost 90% of smartphones on the market are 4 1/2 inch or larger.....try to find a premium 4 inch phone; it won't be easy.

I travel a lot by air and spend way too much time in departure lounges. Three years ago, almost everybody had their heads buried in Tablets and netbooks, clustered around every conceivable power source. Now, tablets and laptops of all sizes are getting scarcer and smartphones predominate...It's nice not to have to pack separate devices along, especially when going through endless security lines with their inconsistent requirements. The emergence of small and easily portable battery packs has freed users from the perpetual outlet quest. Increasingly, phone manufacturers are putting batteries powerful enough for two days use into larger phones, like the Huawai Ascend Mate with 4000 mAh.

I really like my Zenphone-5 with a 5 inch screen but I will soon buy a 6" 4G LTE phone for traveling. I'll probably keep the Zenphone as a daily, carry around phone but my eyes are old I think doing Email and other online work while on the road will be much easier with the larger screen.

I'll report how it turns out.

To each his own... I like large phones, I bought the 5" Dell Streak a few years ago, and now own the excellent 6.4" Sony Xperia Z Ultra. Ok, it can be a bit bulky, but I've used it for 1 1/2 years now, and I still would not go back to a smaller size. Actually waiting the Z4 Ultra.

Phil

Predicting the end of larger phones at the time of the rise of smart watches is unwise.

Sure can agree there is the limit of size that is comfortable, but when you can leave it in your pocket or bag more often that limit is less important. Plus larger screens are so much nicer for so many uses.

There's a number of factors at play here. The main issues I can think of are:

1) viewing size - is the screen big enough to successfully display most websites and apps;

2) portability - does the phone fit comfortably into most pockets and in the hand;

3) usability - there's an obvious reason why 4.5" phones are still popular and that's the ability to operate them one handed. For instance I'm typing this on a 5" phone with one thumb, but I'm close to the upper limit here. I'd think this is a major reason why a certain size becomes too much for many people.

Edited by lamyai3

and then we will have a foldable tablet / phone

it will fold down to the size of a Note 5 and then if you open it , it unfolds to the size of a 10 inch tablet,

yeah you laugh now smile.png just wait tongue.png

Interesting point and you're probably right. There is already a huge amount of money going into developing flexible displays and if they could make one that can fold over, the possibilities will be amazing.

Lamyai3 said:

usability - there's an obvious reason why 4.5" phones are still popular and that's the ability to operate them one handed. For instance I'm typing this on a 5" phone with one thumb, but I'm close to the upper limit here. I'd think this is a major reason why a certain size becomes too much for many people.

There are a number of apps now available, some pre-installed on larger phones that adjust the keypad location so it can still be used with one hand/thumb, compressing it and moving it to one side of the display or the other depending on your preference.

Many people will criticize this, but I'm firmly a 2 device man. One candy bar non 3g on the belt phone for calls only, and a Note 8 mini tablet (3g, also a smartphone) as my portable tablet. Of course, I don't carry the Note 8 around and use it as a phone (though has come in handy the times I have forgotten my other phone), but I also don't like the lack of portability of smart phones. Most of the time I carry a small man bag around with me that has the tablet, tissues, and other stuff I like/need.

I have considered whether a new 6" (like an Asus zenphone 6) would obviate the need for 2 devices, but I can't get there yet. I enjoy a large screen, and I also like very compact, inconspicuous belt phone for conversations.

Call me a hybrid legacy guy with a monster smartphone.

• Like 1