What's your take on this one

Anthony5

Below pictures are taken on the grounds of a well known school in Pattaya. The cables you see are high voltage cables, and as you notice at a height easily accessible for a scholar.

They go on over a length of at least 50 meters inside the playgrounds of the school. In fact they are right behind the main building, so some student trying to cut into a cable will probably go unnoticed.

I was amazed when I noticed it today.

post-222439-0-26939000-1425558358_thumb.post-222439-0-82610000-1425558361_thumb.

Edited by Anthony5

Those are low voltage cables and insulated along their length no less. I know these are not as safe as can be achieved by placing them out of reach entirely. The primary danger from these cables is the capacity more than anything else, but you would have to get at the cable or at the mounts willingly to have problems.

Amazing, high voltage wires below the telecom cables. When I see telecom repairmen start to work anywhere, I have to turn my head and walk away.

Third world Electricity connection. Come the Monsoon time,the dangers will be all too apparent ! and water by the bucketful running around power boxes,a common site!

A young tourist was electrocuted to death down town 1 or 2 years ago by walking though knee deep water during flooding.

Looking at the wires hanging from the electrical posts here makes me shake my head. Thick power cables and thin phone/e-net cables "fight" for space.

What a mess man.

Yes the ones in the OP should be better fenced off for sure.

These are 230 V cables with insulation.

Usually you see them mounted underneath the roof of shops etc. running along the buildings.

Its also the same type of wires that runs from the electricity pole to the houses, always insulated.

On the countryside they often stretch quite long distances to remote houses with this kind of wire (loosing a lot of energy by heating the cable).

A common view in Thailand.

That they are mounted along a wall is a bit "unusual" though.

You can argue that this is particular unsafe (at a public space), but on the other hand, it is not more dangerous than an extension cord running around somewhere.

Cutting into might kill you or not. Using your right hand only improves the survival chances wink.png

Edited by KhunBENQ
  • Like 1

dont worry statistically you are more likely to jump out of your condo or comit suicide.

but judging my the burn marks on the wall the wire have only got two so no problem.coffee1.gif oh and dont go for a ride on your moto either.

and dont walk on the beach after midnight.

Edited by rabid old goat

A young tourist was electrocuted to death down town 1 or 2 years ago by walking though knee deep water during flooding.

Looking at the wires hanging from the electrical posts here makes me shake my head. Thick power cables and thin phone/e-net cables "fight" for space.

What a mess man.

Yes the ones in the OP should be better fenced off for sure.

have you got and photos that show a the transmission and comma space mixing ?? Are you sure, look at the top of the pole that is the electric anything else below it is comms or another electrical service. The electrical transmission system in Thailand is actually pretty well managed and constructed. Edited by jcisco

Cables on the pics look incredibly well organized... must have been a farang who put them there... tongue.png much worse to be seen at any corner in Thailand, specially when the locals tend to "serve themselves" with illegal connections for their own shops...

These are 230 V cables with insulation.

Usually you see them mounted underneath the roof of shops etc. running along the buildings.

Its also the same type of wires that runs from the electricity pole to the houses, always insulated.

On the countryside they often stretch quite long distances to remote houses with this kind of wire (loosing a lot of energy by heating the cable).

A common view in Thailand.

That they are mounted along a wall is a bit "unusual" though.

You can argue that this is particular unsafe (at a public space), but on the other hand, it is not more dangerous than an extension cord running around somewhere.

Cutting into might kill you or not. Using your right hand only improves the survival chances wink.png

Correct the cables are 3 phase 230V, and to answer other posters, to me that is high voltage because it's deadly.

As I said, they are at the back of the main building, but freely accessible to the students. If one should decide to cut in such a cable, you know students do such thing sometimes out of boredom and ignorance, it will go unnoticed before it is too late.

Maybe I should put some signs " Only cut with your right hand"? biggrin.png

Students cutting electric wires for boredom?

I would call this natural selection.

Not even the 5 year olds go around the house with scissors to cut the extension cords.

Thousands of kilometers of such wires are accessible here within reach of your arms.

The real reason why people cut into live wires is for stealing them.

And those folks (mostly) have the right tooling,

Edited by KhunBENQ