Automatic extension with work permit?

I have a Non-Imm M visa, originally received January 2014, and I was recently approved by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs for a one-year extension of stay and work permit. (The fact that it's an M visa might not matter -- I think the same rules should apply for any Non-Imm.) Today I went to the Center for Visa & Work Permit and first received the work permit renewal, good until March 10, 2016. The visa extension I'm currently on is actually good until April 6 of this year, so today I expected to get an extension to April 6, 2016. But I (stupidly) overlooked the obvious: My passport is due to expire on January 8, 2016, so I was only able to get an extenstion until that date. I should have gotten sorted with a new passport beforehand, but, well, I didn't.

So my question is: Come early January of next year when I'll have the new passport, will I be eligable for a 90-day extension of stay that would (more or less) set me back on the track that I would have been on if my passport weren't expiring?

This is perhaps tricky because normally the one-year extension of stay for the Non-Imm M visa hindges on backup letters written by the company I work for and the MFA, and this is normally only done once a year. Unfortunately I didn't make a copy of the letter from the MFA regarding extension of stay, which was submitted as part of the application. If I can't get the 90-day extension in Jan. '16, I guess I'd have to apply with the MFA for them to support my next extension way earlier than I should have to. Any advice from the experts greatly appreciated.

You can get a 90 day extension, but would still need to supply all relevant documents. I am not sure they will accept documents that are 6 or more months old, so you will probably need new ones in which case it is better to go for the 1 year extension.