Visa run

I need to go to The Royal Thai Embassy in Vientiane, Laos from Chiang Mai, Thailand for my first retirement visa.

Does any one know:

1- Bus routes

2- Bus costs

3- Costs at Thai- Laos border

4- Possible complications at Thai- Laos border, and their costs

5- Costs at The Royal Thai Embassy

6- How much extra time in days or months that I will have to have on my U.S. passport?

7- Will I have to stay a night in Laos?

You will not be able to obtain a "retirement visa" as there is no such thing.

If you are over 50 you would be applying for a single entry "Non O" visa . You will need to be able to demonstrate 800,000Bht in a Thai Bank or evidence provided by your embassy of a monthly income of 65,000

Once you have the visa you will be able to apply for an extension of stay, based on retirement, at the local immigration office. Proof of meeting the financial requirements will , again be needed.

Hopefully someone else will provide answers to your other questions.

Edited by nzexpat

1/2 I think most people take a bus from CM to Udon Thani and then a van or bus to the bridge in Nong Khai. Perhaps look at some of the reports for Vientiane here. Latest Reports Of Getting A Visa In The Region

3. The Lao visa on arrival costs $30 to $42 dependent upon which country you are from or you can pay 1500 baht. Info and fees here: http://www.laos-guide-999.com/visa-on-arrival.html

4. No problems that I know of that would cost you more money.

5. You will be going to the consular section of the embassy. http://vientiane.thaiembassy.org/vientiane/en/consular/consular_check/

The fee for a single entry non-o visa is 2000 baht.

6. You need at least 6 months remaining on your passport to apply for your visa.

7. You will have to spend at least one night. You apply the morning of one day and pick-up your passport the next afternoon.