Immigration targeting ED holders 5000 baht fee for 90 days

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not one report (unless I have overlooked it) of an individual , applying for an extension, being asked for an un-receipted 5000Bht !

Well, that is what I was trying to explain before. It would be stupid for a corrupt officer to risk big demanding money directly, when there is a middleman than can handle the cash safely. A video of money paid to a school owner would not mean anything.

Same as with the 20K - 30K deal for retirement extension w/o proof of funds - foreigner gives the cash to an "agent", never to an officer.

Hope my simple point is clear now - even if you don't see it happen, it can and will happen.

That "corruption " exists I do not challenge.

There are, it seems, many willing "Victims"! smile.png I never have and never will be part of their world.

Those willing to pay 5000 for an extension of stay are naive in paying such a sum.

They could easily obtain a tourist visa and continue their "studies" !

Perhaps their work commitments prevent them from taking the time needed to secure a TV?

Edited by nzexpat
  • Like 2

Immigration should institute a 50 question Thai vocabulary test... You have to pay 100 baht for each wrong answer... coffee1.gif

I study english. Not apply. Thank you

Your reason for being in Thailand is to study English? facepalm.gif

Why don't you move to an English speaking country or study English in your own country?

Honestly, some of these guys.....

Your reason for being in Thailand is to study English? facepalm.gif

Why don't you move to an English speaking country or study English in your own country?

Honestly, some of these guys.....

Why should he ? Who are you to tell other what and where people should study ?

Why should he stay in Thailand to study English?

The visa Aliens are granted is based on their reason for being here..... tourism, work, marriage, retirement, study.

His reason for staying in Thailand is to study and learn English? I've heard it all now! clap2.gif

Perfectly sums up this Ed visa hole, doesn't it.

Sitting at home: I want to study English. Where's the best place to do that? Thailand! laugh.png

No wonder immigration are having enough of these guys.

Edited by Hopho
  • Like 1

Immigration officers taking advantage of "students" who abuse the system... They are smart indeed.

Thank you for a posting free of "choices", Lambos, yachts and business class ticket.

Edited by paz
  • Like 1

Immigration officers taking advantage of "students" who abuse the system... They are smart indeed.

All the students have to do is go to their bleedin' school during a 15 day period and they only pay the standard 1,900 baht.

Even this seems to be too much to ask of them.

Of course, perhaps their boss wouldn't grant them 15 days leave from work, which would make it an issue.

• Like 1

Of course, perhaps their boss wouldn't grant them 15 days leave from work, which would make it an issue.

Another piece of assuming, judging attitude, where everyone but you is NOT right. Seen it already.. nothing new - yawn.

It's not a new rule.

It's your school being targeted by immigration, for whatever reason (one could be refusing to pay increasingly bigger bribe).

The the ED visa as we know it is over, they want to whiz as much money as poss before the whole thing collapses.

It's not going fast enough for their liking, so they ask for more money.The more money they ask the faster it will end.

The school is telling you it's a rule,but it's not, it's THEIR given rule.

Please say the name of your school so potential students can avoid it.

Thats every school man. I know ppl in different schools in pattaya and they all same...

The OP said he was in BKK and so am I.

I still get 3 months for 1900 and so does students in Pattaya branch of my school.

Sorry you picked the wrong school

No one gets 3 months for 1900 in pattaya now.

U get 15 days and they come check on you.

The answer is BOTH, and they do.

Actually I think nzexpact is technically correct, IOs are not touching money from foreigners. They can be greedy, but not stupid.

They don't care,they get away with it anyway : Hostile in Pattaya paid 3000 thb for 3 months.

Total was 5000

And many ppl i know from different schools paid the same....

It worked they kept passport overnight

so i come in guy from school gives them passport then come back next day no queue at and it was packed, they serve you stright away took photo and was handed passport without any recip whatsoever. .....

5000 is paid to school and they handle it

Edited by Hostile

And corruption continues as usual in the so called Land of Smiles.

Corruption begets corruption. All the "students" who have stayed here on ED visas and extensions without any genuine interest in studying or who do not bother to show up for classes created the problem in the first place. Those people who genuinely want to study are paying the price. The reason some "students" may be willing to pay Baht 5000 is because they couldn't survive an actual inspection of their school or any scrutiny of their attendance record.

If your sole purpose is to learn Thai, universities and language schools that offer instruction in Thai exist in most western countries. If you want a way to game the system and stay in Thailand without the bother of qualifying for most long-stay options, go for the Thailand Elite Privileged Entry and you can sit on the beach or visit the bars without any worry for 5 years.

Corruption like dancing the Tango requires at least two to work.

it-takes-two-to-tango1.jpg

Sorry, but you are 100% wrong. A corrupt and lazy immigration department created this problem, not students scamming the system. If they were a functioning government entity, they would easily find ways to weed out those abusing the system and refuse extensions of stay.

Do you have any idea how many Thai people go to the UK on student visas, never really go to class, and work illegally? The number is huge. Or maybe they even go to class, but still work for pay under the table? However, the government does not make everyone pay for the misuse of the visa. They target those actually misusing it. This is how how any self respecting country and immigration department handles such a situation.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

That "corruption " exists I do not challenge.

There are, it seems, many willing "Victims"! smile.png I never have and never will be part of their world.

Those willing to pay 5000 for an extension of stay are naive in paying such a sum.

They could easily obtain a tourist visa and continue their "studies" !

Perhaps their work commitments prevent them from taking the time needed to secure a TV?

Why would paying 5000 baht be "naive"? Wouldn't that depend on the net worth of an individual. To many people that would be considered peanuts and worth the convenience.

Tourist visas are no longer a viable (easy) way to stay in Thailand and will be harder than a Ed visa after a year of back to backs.

Edited by tropo

Tourist visas are no longer a viable (easy) way to stay in Thailand and will be harder than a Ed visa after a year of back to backs.

Really? Cos they seem a hell of a lot easier than ED visas. For a guy I know here this is his 9th year on a tourist visa. He literally just got another one, he's never had a single issue. That said he flies back to his own country once a year or so for a month and picks up another triple entry.

Really? Cos they seem a hell of a lot easier than ED visas. For a guy I know here this is his 9th year on a tourist visa. He literally just got another one, he's never had a single issue. That said he flies back to his own country once a year or so for a month and picks up another triple entry.

Yes, it is getting really difficult. Your friend is lucky because he has access to a home consulate which issues triple entry tourist visas, but that's not the norm. Try getting one in Australia, for example.... but that's besides the point. If one has to travel yearly back to one's home country, that makes it difficult and expensive. Many of us don't want to return home and don't have any need to. Returning home just to get a new tourist visa is rather drastic.

Also, success over the last 9 years doesn't mean much in the context of today as rules are constantly changing and many changes are recent.

Oh I think I see the trend now. They're targeting language schools right? They see the majority of people that are on a ed visa are attending a language school which is a cheap way to stay with a ed visa.

You think 60k a year is cheap?

We recently renewed our ED visas in Pattaya, and was told by our school of the two-tier system (for want of a better term). It was as described above - pay 1,900 baht for a 15 day visa, they'll check to see if you're in class (disrupting the class in the process, but mai pen rai), then they'll add on the other 75 days. Alternatively, pay 5,000 baht and they'll just give you the 90 days no questions asked. It also required an overnight stay, whereas before it was processed same-day.

Thankfully, this was our final renewal, and we will not be continuing with an ED visa. The good are lumped in with the bad (which probably outnumber good students 2-to-1 or 3-to-1). The bigger schools have had little incentive to offer proper education, just a pipeline to a visa, and the students are the ones that get punished for it.

If you're sincere and coming to learn Thai, the price will be the same for you - just don't skip classes! Everyone else, it's a convenience fee - meet me offline and I'll share my opinion on how corrupt it is...

Just trying to clarify your last statement. If you are here on a retirement visa, and want to learn Thai, you do not have to pay additionally. Just pay the school for your classes. No need to do anything with immigration.

I think the biggest effect is that you can no longer attend 3 hours a week. It must be 8 hours. I look for this to change back in a few months, hopefully.

I still get 3 months for 1900 and so does students in Pattaya branch of my school.

You ara very active at ED related topics, and I I find this "I picked the best school, you all picked the wrong one" attitude very annoying. Also, you act like you are an expert on this issue, but you are not. According to you, if a school gets blacklisted eventually it would be closed down. But this is not the case, Pro Language was blacklisted and everything is returning to normal for them now. I just got a 2.9 extension.

Also if I remember correctly, you seriously believed that they would give a 1 year tourist visa for 3000 baht. Are you surprised that it is definitely off the table? Cause I'm not, I wasn't naive enought to believe that nonsense.

Edited by gezginrocker

You ara very active at ED related topics, and I I find this "I picked the best school, you all picked the wrong one" attitude very annoying. Also, you act like you are an expert on this issue, but you are not. According to you, if a school gets blacklisted eventually it would be closed down. But this is not the case, Pro Language was blacklisted and everything is returning to normal for them now. I just got a 2.9 extension.

Also if I remember correctly, you seriously believed that they would give a 1 year tourist visa for 3000 baht. Are you surprised that it is definitely off the table? Cause I'm not, I wasn't naive enought to believe that nonsense.

For months on end, I was told that my school was a visa mill because it was cheap and did not advertised here. So yes I now particularly enjoy proving that all the so-called "best schools" students who used to call me a visa abuser, getting targeted far more targeted by immigration than I my school is.

Yes I am quite active here, as I am eager to get information as it is moving fast in ED visa and we all need to prepare for big changes.

In return, I also try to help people with my experience or the info I gather, which is only fair and it's the principle of a forum.

if my posts annoy you, please feel free to press the "ignore " button anytime.

"Normal" for me is still 3 months, sorry that your definition is different. And regarding Prolanguage or any other school limited at 2 months,I think it's fair to forecast a closure as students are not going to enroll a school if they can't get 3 months.

Regarding 1 year tourist visa, I remember wishing for it, believing in it would have been wishful thinking, which in these crackdown times, is not a crime, nor is being naive, although regarding immigration I think I tend to be more cynical than anything else (but that's not always allowed here). Nothing surprises me regarding immigration now and I have seen far more astonishing turn ups from them.

Edited by Kitsune

so i come in guy from school gives them passport then come back next day no queue at and it was packed, they serve you stright away took photo and was handed passport without any recip whatsoever. .....

5000 is paid to school and they handle it

Thank you for having clarified this. The hunt for the applicant who handed the 5,000 Baht directly to an immigration officer therefore remains on.

What exactly are you trying to prove here? That immigration officers have wised up and are not stupid enough to directly take bribes?

We all know that if the student would go alone to immigration he would not get 3 months regardless of his thai skills or attendance,and that his only way to get 3 months was to pay that bribe, yes it's a BRIBE.

Can we also stop beating around the bush and call a spade a spade and say It is clearly a corruption situation?

We all know that if the student would go alone to immigration he would not get 3 months regardless of his thai skills or attendance,and that his only way to get 3 months was to pay that bribe, yes it's a BRIBE.

More exactly for someone that is studying, having to pay extra is an extortion (concussion).

Bribing is when paying to obtain something you could not get otherwise.

In both cases the officer commits a crime, but only in the second case the person who pays does too.

I think I attended the school Kitsune is talking about last year.

Yes, it is a very good school which at the time they were running a promo and I got in with 50% of what other "reputable" schools were charging.

They were really responsible with sorting out visas and stuff.

Unfortunately I had to cut my classes short and leave the country.

Say hi to JJ. A really great guy.

I think I attended the school Kitsune is talking about last year.

Yes, it is a very good school which at the time they were running a promo and I got in with 50% of what other "reputable" schools were charging.

They were really responsible with sorting out visas and stuff.

Unfortunately I had to cut my classes short and leave the country.

Say hi to JJ. A really great guy.

JJ has left sorry