More than 3,700 hit by dengue fever this year

Thaivisa News

Bangkok:- Dengue fever has already hit more than 3,700 people and caused three deaths in Thailand this year.

Of all provinces, Rayong, Samut Songkhram, Krabi, Nakhon Pathom and Phet Buri have reported the highest number of dengue-fever incidences between January 1 and March 1.

Because mosquitoes are the carriers of this dangerous disease, relevant authorities have now come up with a plan to rid possible breeding grounds for mosquito larvae every six to seven days. Mosquitoes can lay their eggs in still water including water in drip trays of tree pots.

As precautions, people are advised to use mosquito repellent too.

“If a mosquito bites a patient and goes biting another person, it spreads the disease further,” Disease Control Department’s director general Dr Sopon Mekthon says.

According to him, symptoms will develop five to eight days after the infection. While people can recover with the help of some medicines and enough rest, some patients will need serious medical attention.

“Having high fever of over 38.5 degrees Celsius for over two days, loss of appetite, and vomiting are bad signs,” Sopon says.

While the number of dengue-fever cases usually soars in rainy season, the disease can hit people during any season of the year.

Statistics show the disease has caused deaths in Thailand every year.

In 2013, a total of 150,934 people had come down with dengue fever in Thailand. Of them, 133 died. The number of patients, on the overall, also doubled when compared with a year earlier.

The local government hospital does not do a blood test when someone goes there with dengue fever symptoms. It's a wonder to me that more people don't die from the fever.

• Like 1

I went to the hospital recently, and the said it was just flu. I insisted on dengue test and Routine CBC (Complete Blood Count). The dengue test was positive, and my platelet count was way down - ergo Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF).

Dengue may or may not develop into DHF; it is the latter that can be fatal, as any bleeding, especially internal, is very difficult (impossible if the platelets are very low) to stop.

There are three known varieties of DHF. Once you've had one you're immune for life. (In my case, I'm two down, with one to go).

The first day of symptoms was agony; days 2-3 were just high fever with, in my case, no other symptoms. It didn't fell like flu, so I went to check.

If in any doubt, insist on a Dengue test and CBC. It's one blood sample, about one hour's wait, and doesn't cost much.

Thanks for sharing. Best wishes for your recovery!

Please kindly update us what you have to go through to recover.

I went to the hospital recently, and the said it was just flu. I insisted on dengue test and Routine CBC (Complete Blood Count). The dengue test was positive, and my platelet count was way down - ergo Dengue Hemorrhagic Fever (DHF).

Dengue may or may not develop into DHF; it is the latter that can be fatal, as any bleeding, especially internal, is very difficult (impossible if the platelets are very low) to stop.

There are three known varieties of DHF. Once you've had one you're immune for life. (In my case, I'm two down, with one to go).

The first day of symptoms was agony; days 2-3 were just high fever with, in my case, no other symptoms. It didn't fell like flu, so I went to check.

If in any doubt, insist on a Dengue test and CBC. It's one blood sample, about one hour's wait, and doesn't cost much.

Thanks, I made a full recovery some time ago after about one week in hospital. The primary reason for hospitalisation is to cocoon the body from anything that might cause bleeding, especially internally. Platelets in the blood stem bleeding, but DHF (or the body's counter-attack) massacres these. In the meantime, the hospital can also treat other various symptoms, but these are more painful than critical.

Basically there is no treatment; you just need to totally avoid anything, even a small bruise, that might lead to internal bleeding.

A key (which most doctors don't seem to know) is that your platelet count will bounce back and more or less precisely the rate at which it dropped. So monitor your platelets on the way down. When they reach critical level (in my case, 12,000), the doctors will recommend transfusions. Don't readily take that advice, but insist on blood tests every six hours (or even three) instead of the standard 24 hour checks. Once the rate of descent slows, expect the bounce-back to start within a day or so.

I've some friends who took a month to reach nadir, then a few weeks at the bottom, followed by another month to climb back. But the norm is about 3 days down, one day at nadir, and then three days back.

In my latest case, I felt agony on day one, but was absolutely fine (apart from temperature and the blood problem) for my remaining time in hospital.

You don't actually have to stay in hospital; just make sure you're exposed to zero risk of falling or bruising. Flopping your head hard on a pillow, while your platelets are at nadir, for example, can be potentially fatal.

To answer your question succinctly: In order to recover, I had to undergo 24-hour pampering by a bunch of cute nurses for the best part of a week.

Thanks, I made a full recovery some time ago after about one week in hospital. The primary reason for hospitalisation is to cocoon the body from anything that might cause bleeding, especially internally. Platelets in the blood stem bleeding, but DHF (or the body's counter-attack) massacres these. In the meantime, the hospital can also treat other various symptoms, but these are more painful than critical.

Basically there is no treatment; you just need to totally avoid anything, even a small bruise, that might lead to internal bleeding.

A key (which most doctors don't seem to know) is that your platelet count will bounce back and more or less precisely the rate at which it dropped. So monitor your platelets on the way down. When they reach critical level (in my case, 12,000), the doctors will recommend transfusions. Don't readily take that advice, but insist on blood tests every six hours (or even three) instead of the standard 24 hour checks. Once the rate of descent slows, expect the bounce-back to start within a day or so.

I've some friends who took a month to reach nadir, then a few weeks at the bottom, followed by another month to climb back. But the norm is about 3 days down, one day at nadir, and then three days back.

In my latest case, I felt agony on day one, but was absolutely fine (apart from temperature and the blood problem) for my remaining time in hospital.

You don't actually have to stay in hospital; just make sure you're exposed to zero risk of falling or bruising. Flopping your head hard on a pillow, while your platelets are at nadir, for example, can be potentially fatal.

To answer your question succinctly: In order to recover, I had to undergo 24-hour pampering by a bunch of cute nurses for the best part of a week.

Should help but only in a limited sense. You can contract Malaria from a mosquito bite up to 12 months after being bit

Not sure about that. The incubation is normally a few days, but can be a couple of weeks.

However, there are some forms of malaria (some of which I've had) which can cause symptoms more or less annually for several years. (The virus hides itself in the liver, but there are tests nowadays to spot them).

The initial symptoms might be weak, but the recurrence next year can be heavy.

PS I don't mean to sound like an expert. I'm just someone whose had quite a few tropical diseases. My typhoid stories are good too ,,,

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Should help but only in a limited sense. You can contract Malaria from a mosquito bite up to 12 months after being bit

Not sure about that. The incubation is normally a few days, but can be a couple of weeks.

However, there are some forms of malaria (some of which I've had) which can cause symptoms more or less annually for several years. (The virus hides itself in the liver, but there are tests nowadays to spot them).

The initial symptoms might be weak, but the recurrence next year can be heavy.

PS I don't mean to sound like an expert. I'm just someone whose had quite a few tropical diseases. My typhoid stories are good too ,,,

I worked in a Malaria zone in Papua New Guinea and had to have introduction courses regarding Malaria. I never knew it before but that is what we were told by the company medic

In my case, the long, looong, recovery period, about one month, was worse, and more frustrating, than the illness itself.

Supposedly the juice of crushed fresh papaya leaves helps a lot, but that info got to me too late.