Vietnam Queries

I have two queries,I would be grateful for any help.

1)I am due to go to Vietnam(HCM City) and meet up with my Vietnamese girlfriend,can I fly there and get a visa on arrival,with no prior approval,or do I need to get a pre-approved one,there seems to be a lot of conflicting advice on various forums,and I have been told the rules have recently changed,so if anyone has been there recently I would be interested to hear about it

2)My girlfriend will have a Vietnamese passport,does she need to obtain a visa to come to Thailand, or can she just get a 30day entry stamp on arrival at BKK.Also does she then have to do the visa run every 30 days,or is there some new arrangement for people from other Asean countries.If she attends college here to learn Thai and English,as is the plan,is there a student visa available to her?

Some background:I have a retirement visa and live in Thailand(2 years now),I am originally from the UK,I met and lived with my girlfriend in Cambodia,she had to return to Vietnam to get a passport, as she has never had one before. Thanks in advance :o

I have information for your first question:

I visited Vietnam in March. Had to obtain a visa ahead of time from Vietnam consulate in Khon Kaen. Required an address of someone I knew in Vietnam and about $30 USD fee. Viet embassy websites say to allow up to 5 days to obtain your visa. That may be true in Bangkok, but it only takes me 15-20 minutes in Khon Kaen. Here's more info:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Consulate General of Vietnam--KHON KAEN

Tel: 043-242-190; 0-4324-1586; fax: 0-4324-1154

Email: [email protected]

Address: 65/6 Chata Phadung Road, Khon Kaen 40000, Thailand

Tel: (+66 43) 241154

Fax: (+66 43) 241154

Office Hours: 8.30-12.00 14.00-16.30 (Mon-Fri)

8.30-12.00 (Sat)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vietnam Embassy--BANGKOK

82/1 Wireless Road

Tel: 251-7202

1. Office hours for public :

8h30 - 11h30 ; 13h30 -16h30 from Monday to Friday.

2. Consular Section Telephone :

66 -(0) 2 - 2515836 (---37, ---38) ext. 112 (115,116) or 02 650 8979

3. General information :

1. Visa is required for all visitors (except Holders of Thai, Malaysian, Indonesian passports staying in Vietnam less than 30 days; Philippine passport holders staying in Vietnam less than 21 days)

2. Visitors can apply for Single or Multiple, 1 month, 3 months or 6 months, one year entry Visa.

3. Applicant can personally or delegate to the third person/ agency to make the procedures and get visa.

4. Following documents are requested to submit to the Embassy for all kinds of visa:

-- a. The original PASSPORT, the expiry date of the passport should be at least 3 months since the date of departure from Vietnam, and with vacant pages for visa

stamp.

-- b. One completed application form.

-- c. Two passport-size photographs: one is stapled or glued firmly to the application form.

-- d. Visa fee (Visa fee should be paid in Thai Baht in cash; Holders of Diplomatic and Service Passports in official mission are exempted from visa fees; For update fee information, please contact the Visa Section).

5. The application form is available at the Embassy or can be printed out hereafter.

6. It takes 1 to 4 days to process a visa.

7. Tourist visa is valid for one month, you can ask for normal or express visa

-------------------------------------------------

I copied the above information about 18 months ago. More up-to-date info. about visas from Vietnam embassy (in USA) website:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Vietnam Airlines can probably assist you with information as well:

Vietnam Airlines

General Manager: Mr. Nguyen Tien Nam

10th Floor, Wave Place Building, 55 Wireless Road,

Lumpinee, Patumwan, Bangkok 10330

Tel: 0-2655-4137...40

Fax: 0-2655-4420

E-mail: [email protected]

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Lastly, when you get your visa, inspect it rigorously with a fine-toothed comb. Make sure every number is right and every word spelled correctly. On my first trip, the consulate used an "O" instead of "0" in my passport number. it held me up at the Saigon airport for nearly an hour while they sorted through the discrepancy. I had to go through three levels of customs officers before finally being admitted to the country.

My Vietnamese friend told me later that had I slipped a $5 bill into the passport as I handed it over, there would have been no problem. :o If you're Vietnamese (your girlfriend), my friend suggests a $20 bill. This is one rare case where farangs get off cheaper in SE Asia.

Good luck and bon voyage!

TT

Edited by toptuan

See also Qantas' IATA database.

1. UK passport holders require prior visas for Vietnam from the Vietnam Embassy or Consulate in Thailand.

2. Vietnam passport holders are eligible for the 30 day tourist visa exemption when entering Thailand. If she wishes to study in Thailand, then she must obtain a Non-immigrant visa, Category "ED", from the Royal Thai Embassy or Consulate in Vietnam.

Edited by vinny