British army may shrink to smallest mumber in 250 years

webfact

On the other hand, all the latest military gadgets are significantly undermined if there is little will or public support for military misadventures.

It would seem to me that the public appetite for them is lowering in the 'west' (so to speak) while it is growing in some other parts of the world.

• 1 year later...
On 3/10/2015 at 11:02 AM, ToddinChonburi said:

Who will you call when ISIS comes for you ? AMERICA Like you always have !!!!!

You would all be speaking German or Japanese if it was not for the US .

Thank you Sir ,  God  less  America. 

On 10/03/2015 at 11:02 AM, ToddinChonburi said:

In the same breath, who's always there when you invade other countries?

On 3/10/2015 at 0:39 PM, phrodan said:

Britain was never the World's policeman.

The US was already proposing themselves for that role way back circa 1902, and yes - the US actually used the phrase "world's policeman," to describe how they saw their role in world affairs.

Staggering stuff, eh?

I would argue that Imperial Britain certainly saw itself as the World's policeman in the 19th Century. British imperialism started as mercantilism and control of global resources to service ships but the collapse of the East India Company resulted in a vacuum that was filled by Imperial Liberalism and the idea that Britain had a 'civilizing' duty over conquered peoples.

The whole British public school system was designed to produce colonial leaders and administrators bringing the benefits of classism, primogeniture and racist bigotry to the natives.

The Brits only stopped thinking this way when they ran out of money as a result of 2 World Wars and the US took over because of its industrial and financial might.

I think this story is utter nonsense.

Sputnik news. A news media organisation controlled by the Russian government and aimed at non russian viewers to present alternative news. 

Credible...absolutly not. Nice bit of fake news aka propaganda.

5 hours ago, Tawan Dok Krating Daeng said:

I would argue that Imperial Britain certainly saw itself as the World's policeman in the 19th Century. British imperialism started as mercantilism and control of global resources to service ships but the collapse of the East India Company resulted in a vacuum that was filled by Imperial Liberalism and the idea that Britain had a 'civilizing' duty over conquered peoples.

The whole British public school system was designed to produce colonial leaders and administrators bringing the benefits of classism, primogeniture and racist bigotry to the natives.

The Brits only stopped thinking this way when they ran out of money as a result of 2 World Wars and the US took over because of its industrial and financial might.

Being British couldn't have put it better myself. Don't forget India, South Africa, Burma etc etc  was not about what you could put into the country to extend your power, more about what you could take out of the country freely to extend your wealth.

2 hours ago, jonclark said:

I think this story is utter nonsense.

Sputnik news. A news media organisation controlled by the Russian government and aimed at non russian viewers to present alternative news. 

Credible...absolutly not. Nice bit of fake news aka propaganda.

The story is 2 years old. At the time, the UK was talking about a major downsize of its armed forces.

1 hour ago, Grouse said:

It took you 2 years to reply?!!!

I  have  better things to do ,  than  live  on  the  forum .

Edited by elliss

On 3/10/2015 at 4:02 AM, ToddinChonburi said:

:cheesy::cheesy:

Quite clearly very delusional or you have read too US history books rather than the ones the rest of the planet read :coffee1:

10 hours ago, Grouse said:

Good one ?

I prefer looking   at  ,  where  the  massive Port  Talbot Steel works used to be , found memories . Frkng, blast furnaces , Nuff said .

Mines a large whisky @ my Baglan Bay  local.555

Edited by elliss

10 hours ago, ilostmypassword said:

You mean for 2 years you've been too busy and are only now finding time to address this important issue?

Kap . have young  darling .