Bar on Srinakorin

bkkmick

So, sitting here in Simpson's Bar on Srinakorin. Opposite Paradise Park (near the Popeye and Olive statues).

Great for those who like European beers (20+ beers that I've never heard of). I'm drinking draught Stella Artois as is my Mrs.

Just thought I'd mention it for anyone local to here who fancies some alternative beers.

I've nothing to do with the bar but it's quite a nice bar.

Mick

Never understood why Stella is priced so highly (and why people pay those prices), it's in the same price bracket as decent, premium Belgian beers such as Leffe and Hoegaarden, yet in Europe it's a relatively standard lager, nothing special.

There are other bars in that area with prices a bit more reasonable than that.

A lot of these places will generally sell regular, local beers for that kind of price. But the premium imported beers come at a premium price - one that, for me, is worth paying on occasion, but still the price has to be reasonable.

A lot of these places will generally sell regular, local beers for that kind of price. But the premium imported beers come at a premium price - one that, for me, is worth paying on occasion, but still the price has to be reasonable.

If its more than 200 Baht I will pass unless its superb beer....if it costs more than in the UK my rule of thumb is its a rip off.....I hate paying taxes and high markups.

If its more than 200 Baht I will pass unless its superb beer....if it costs more than in the UK my rule of thumb is its a rip off.....I hate paying taxes and high markups.
Obviously that's up to you, however, the beer travels a bit further to get here...

BTW -thanks to the OP. I will be in the area Thursday - Monday

Edited by jdinasia

If its more than 200 Baht I will pass unless its superb beer....

Me too - but some of the best Belgian beers are superb and worth paying for, and would be similar prices in a London pub, probably a bit more if anything. I'm not going to sit back and neck a dozen bottles of them - I'd be unable to get home apart from anything else with some of these beers topping 10-11% - but a couple of bottles go down very nicely.

My regular haunt "My Corner" (https://www.facebook.com/mycornerbkk) located behind Paradise Park has a very good selection of good Belgian and other premium beers. Some are pricey - I think the most expensive on the menu is about 330 THB - but there are some priced closer to 200 also. Food's pretty good too.

• Like 1

If its more than 200 Baht I will pass unless its superb beer....

Me too - but some of the best Belgian beers are superb and worth paying for, and would be similar prices in a London pub, probably a bit more if anything. I'm not going to sit back and neck a dozen bottles of them - I'd be unable to get home apart from anything else with some of these beers topping 10-11% - but a couple of bottles go down very nicely.

My regular haunt "My Corner" (https://www.facebook.com/mycornerbkk) located behind Paradise Park has a very good selection of good Belgian and other premium beers. Some are pricey - I think the most expensive on the menu is about 330 THB - but there are some priced closer to 200 also. Food's pretty good too.

Thanks for the recommendation. I will likely stop there on Friday. Our BKK condo is close to http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/723566-nong-bon-lake-water-sports-center-windsurfing/