You chose to retire in Thailand

phinick

Retired here at 42,it was much better then, less traffic,higher interest rates

and exchange rates,but like everything else you just have to adapt to your

current situation and look on the bright side of life.

regards Worgeordie

regards Worgeordie

How long ago was that Geordie? Or don't you want to give your age away.

Travelled to LOS more than 30 times over a 10 year period. Now living here for just over 12 months. Should have moved here permanently 10 years ago.

Extremely happy & more relaxed than I can ever remember.

Driving in Bangkok can be a bit of a nightmare if you're not prepared and or confident. I've driven over 17,000k in the past 12 months... no problems except a couple of speeding fines.... but

that's another story.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for & your expectations. Be prepared to compromise at times. I'm happy to answer your questions, PM me if you like.

Cheers..... Mal.

If you really were driving over the speed limit, then you are contributing to the nightmare you are on about. Too many drivers drive too fast here, and also too slow.

Travelled to LOS more than 30 times over a 10 year period. Now living here for just over 12 months. Should have moved here permanently 10 years ago.

Extremely happy & more relaxed than I can ever remember.

Driving in Bangkok can be a bit of a nightmare if you're not prepared and or confident. I've driven over 17,000k in the past 12 months... no problems except a couple of speeding fines.... but

that's another story.

I guess it really depends on what you are looking for & your expectations. Be prepared to compromise at times. I'm happy to answer your questions, PM me if you like.

Cheers..... Mal.

If you really were driving over the speed limit, then you are contributing to the nightmare you are on about. Too many drivers drive too fast here, and also too slow.

I recall a trip down south. Going up a steep hill limit was 50. Got to the top and proceeded down the other side. Probably got up to 80 or 90. I don't like driving too fast and keep well left, in this case 2 down lanes so plenty were able to pass.

At the bottom round a bend and wham the cops stopping everyone. Said I was doing 110 and the limit was 50 same as going up. Must admit to not seeing a sign but the road was clear and wide and probably should have been 100 limit. 500 baht fine. On the spot, got a receipt. The showed me Thais were paying the same. They had tables, chairs, umbrellas all out like it was a picnic.

Money making spot.

So speeding tickets don't always mean you were speeding. Just paying a police tax.

Edited by Keesters

regards Worgeordie

I think he meant 1942. Interesting times, what with the Japanese occupying most of SE Asia ;)

Curiously, Mt Fuji was smaller back then, and somewhat prone to aerial attack.

kanazawa0.jpg

• Like 2

happy compared to what?

its better then where i was in the usa wont give reasons here.

but its not the best place i have been to or can imagine being.

point is, you go to the best place you can afford and thats ok. if you try to skimp below that chances are you will have a hard time adapting and wont be as happy.

My wife and I are mulling whether to get a rural property in Thailand or back home, there are positives to both.

We put enough money into rental properties here already so the western currencies devaluing thanks to useless governance isn't an issue.

Will probably just wait and see what happens over the next few years. I am happy in either place but for different reasons. If my home govt continues its march into fascism then maybe here. Even with a military govt still freer here than back home, less land tax too.

Retiring in America is 100x better than Thailand, IF you have a little more money. Death heat, smog, visa small headaches, drivers, laws, noise, etc....is only fine if you can't afford to escape them. Then just make the most of it and try to enjoy. But America is huge and has everything, but it might cost double to retire there. I just think owning your own house is nice, and the ability to not own your own home is telling.

• Like 1

Retiring in America is 100x better than Thailand, IF you have a little more money. Death heat, smog, visa small headaches, drivers, laws, noise, etc....is only fine if you can't afford to escape them. Then just make the most of it and try to enjoy. But America is huge and has everything, but it might cost double to retire there. I just think owning your own house is nice, and the ability to not own your own home is telling.

Retiring in Thailand is 100x better than UK. Death cold, rain. Constant talk of immigrants being a problem. Racial intolerance. Horrible place now. Could never return.

• Like 1

I have been retired here for 8 years.

It beats the alternatives all to hell. In Canada I was single so would have ended up in an old folks home with people I have nothing in common with but old age. I would have been pigeon holed into a room with a bathroom and TV and fed overcooked processed food. For this princely treatment they would charge me only all my monthly entire retirement income. In their great judgement they would find me the best old folks chicken coop my means could afford,but not necessarily good value..They would prolong my life well after quality of life had gone to keep the money coming.

Over here I am married now. My wife promises to take care of me at home forever and I believe her.I will be around people I know and care for . Even when frail I will still be able to take care of my wife financially. Till the end I will maintain personal freedoms that would be lost in Canada, There is no government intervention. Even if the cost is the same( all my income every month) I see value in life here, well I see no value back in Canada.

America could only cost double in the expensive areas. There is a place there for every budget with the desired climate and scenery for everyone. You can own your own home even if it's a cabin in the S. Appalachian Mountains near a small town. If you're poor enough you can get government "entitlements" and many states allow deferment of property taxes at a certain age. You'd have Medicare health insurance. You could have year around good weather and ride a scooter if you wished.

America is 100x better if you find your spot. Thailand is great for a vacation, but I'd never throw my lot into it.

I have a number of Thai, American and British friends in Thailand and I like the visits. I tried a 1 year retirement extension and went "home" early. I like to visit but I'm always ready to set foot back in the USA where I need no one's permission to be, and where I can count on my Constitutional rights with law and order.

Cheers

• Like 2

As a UK guy not going to get the state pension until I'm 67 (2035) what kind of income do UK people get living in Thai.

I'm not interested in people telling me they were millionaires by the time they were 20 or the many many BA pilots or countless SAS in the coming country.

I know that by the time I'm 60 my personal pension will be only about £5k per year. At 67 I'll get my state pension.

What do others survive on?

I've got a house in UK and a flat I rent out that'll be paid off all being well in another 10 years giving me another £6k per year.

Few quid savings, not loads.

Cheers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1. Retired at 55, been here 10 months

2. Pattaya rules, warts and all, but I will take another look at Cambodia when Songkran rolls around, simply because the older we get the less likely we are to make a move and I promised myself I would experience something different in retirement. The '6 months here then try something new' sounds great until you start accumulating possessions.

if you like pattaya chances are you wont like cambodia

2. Pattaya rules, warts and all, but I will take another look at Cambodia when Songkran rolls around, simply because the older we get the less likely we are to make a move and I promised myself I would experience something different in retirement. The '6 months here then try something new' sounds great until you start accumulating possessions.

Sadly, that has occurred to me more than once, but there's no growth without pain. Pattaya is arguably one of the easiest transitions for a Westerner outside a nanny state like Singapore, but ultimately I know I have to find out for myself whether living there is the same as spending a week in a hotel in PP.

As a UK guy not going to get the state pension until I'm 67 (2035) what kind of income do UK people get living in Thai.

I'm not interested in people telling me they were millionaires by the time they were 20 or the many many BA pilots or countless SAS in the coming country.

I know that by the time I'm 60 my personal pension will be only about £5k per year. At 67 I'll get my state pension.

I've got a house in UK and a flat I rent out that'll be paid off all being well in another 10 years giving me another £6k per year.

Cheers

Ask a low paid Thai how they survive not other Farang. Even at £5k year you are twice as better off as they are. Lots of Thai would love to have that much income. Also ask them what pension they get at 67.

300 day x 365 days / 50 exchange rate / 1000 = £2.19k

Edited by Keesters

Why?

America could only cost double in the expensive areas. There is a place there for every budget with the desired climate and scenery for everyone. You can own your own home even if it's a cabin in the S. Appalachian Mountains near a small town. If you're poor enough you can get government "entitlements" and many states allow deferment of property taxes at a certain age. You'd have Medicare health insurance. You could have year around good weather and ride a scooter if you wished.

America is 100x better if you find your spot. Thailand is great for a vacation, but I'd never throw my lot into it.

I have a number of Thai, American and British friends in Thailand and I like the visits. I tried a 1 year retirement extension and went "home" early. I like to visit but I'm always ready to set foot back in the USA where I need no one's permission to be, and where I can count on my Constitutional rights with law and order.

Cheers

America is indeed excellent but not 100 times better than Thailand. but since "war on terror, homeland security et al" it has become a sh*tty place for foreigners. as you are well aware, i speak based on experience.

Cheers

America is indeed excellent but not 100 times better than Thailand. but since "war on terror, homeland security et al" it has become a sh*tty place for foreigners. as you are well aware, i speak based on experience.

It would all depend on what type of foreigner you are.

Cheers

we are a German couple having lived a retired life for 15 years (1989-2004) in the U.S. till the restrictions became unbearable.

Cheers

Sorry, I know we're going off the original topic a little but to answer your question as a fellow Brit planning to retire in Thailand...

I'm 49, just taken redundancy after 6 years working in Singapore & decided to use the approx 1 year package to retire 1 year early (planned to retire at 50 anyway).

Income wise, target is £2,000 per month, made up of...

- Rent from my house in UK - £600 (I receive £748 but allowing some wiggle room for expenses...)

- income from UK Dividends - £500

- Draw down on savings £900 (planning this for a few years now & have been saving around 1/2 my salary + the income from the house/dividends so can cover it until I'm 60 when my private pension kicks in)

Everybody's budget/needs/circumstances are different and I'm sure people will say they can live on a 1/4 of this / couldn't live on twice that much, but £2,000 feels about right to me & if it's not, I'll just have to adjust or go back to work (IT Consultant) again.

My problem is what do I do for the next 10 1/2 months until I'm eligible for a retirement visa, but that's one for a different thread.

Cheers

JB

Edited by JB300

regards Worgeordie

I am 70 this year,well my body is, but my mind and outlook is much younger.

regards Worgeordie

Cheers

we are a German couple having lived a retired life for 15 years (1989-2004) in the U.S. till the restrictions became unbearable.

Wouldn't have thought the EU much better.

regards Worgeordie

I am 70 this year,well my body is, but my mind and outlook is much younger.

regards Worgeordie

28 years then. I beat you by just a couple then. Think young and be around the young is my moto for staying young. If it wasn't for the grandkids I'd be a miserable old bar stool ******

Long Live Worgeordie

Edited by Keesters