Teachers’ sexual misconduct tops last year’s list

Thaivisa News

Bangkok: – The Teachers Council of Thailand will take proactive steps to improve on morals and professional ethics as sexual misconduct has remained the topmost complaint since last year.

Teachers are to face strict enforcement of disciplinary and ethics standards, TCT chairman Paitoon Sinlarat said.

The council has scheduled to organise a training programme designed to remind teachers of the obligations to remain virtuous and to uphold the integrity of their profession.

Each education service area office will be responsible for nominating teachers to attend a series of the council-sponsored training.

The council will also compile and distribute a new handbook detailing case studies of professional violations involving teachers and school administrators.

The case studies include sex-related misconduct, teaching without professional license and school financial cheats.

Last year saw five disciplinary rulings – three leading to license suspension and two resulting in license cancellation.

Grounds for suspending teachers for three months included slapping a student in the face, physical assault causing bruise by twisting a student’s ear and using a ruler to hit 79 times causing inflammation in a student’s hand.

One male teacher was banned from the teaching profession after he molested a female student. Another teacher had the license revoked because of stealing the religious donations while working as a volunteer at a Buddhist temple.

Of the total complaints filed on teachers, almost half are related to sexual violations.

Complaints involving male teachers are mostly about marriage cheats and molesting and raping minors.

Other disciplinary charges include the involvement in drug trafficking, theft, fraud and physical assault related to drunken brawl.

How about holding school administration responsible if they do nothing (the usual response) to sanction/fire teacher who gives self some "perks". A short amount of training should take 20 minutes: "Sexual contact with any students will (not "may") result in losing license, termination of employment, and prosecution by authorities". I know last part is often a joke....

• Like 2

Does this sound like a crisis in the teaching profession to you? The following paragraphs would seem to suggest there is. Yet last year there were only five - repeat FIVE, - cases of disciplinary action among tens of thousands of teachers.

"""Of the total complaints filed on teachers, almost half are related to sexual violations.

Complaints involving male teachers are mostly about marriage cheats and molesting and raping minors.

Other disciplinary charges include the involvement in drug trafficking, theft, fraud and physical assault related to drunken brawl."""

(PS: No disrespect intended to those brave teachers in the southern provinces.)

(Sudden thought: miscreant teachers should be slapped across the left cheek with their bosses' right shoe.)

• Like 2

Teachers are to face strict enforcement of disciplinary and ethics standards, TCT chairman Paitoon Sinlarat said.

"Do I again have to write 10 times 'I shall not have sex with my students'?"

"No, it's 100 times, now..., sorry. But I share a trick: it's called 'copy and paste'..."

arresting those that actually do these things would be a start, they have committed a crime yet they are still allowed to teach, what a joke this country is at times. If they actually enforced the countries laws they would nip this in the bud but then that would cause too much loss of face for the poor teachers. They need to outlaw the physical abuse that is rife in the schools and perpetrated by the teachers that think they are able to do as they please. only when the teaching profession is held to account will it stop. Way past time for the govt to start to enforce the law on these cretins.

• Like 2

In England you would get 2 years for grooming a students on the internet. If sex occurs, it's 5 years, regardless of age, up to 18. At Thai schools I have worked at it seems quite common to 'hear rumors from students in ones class regarding a student-teacher 'romance'. I have also met several western teachers over the years who thought 14-18 year old students were 'fair game'. One of these guys did a year in the Bangkok Hilton when the extraordinary scope of his activities were uncovered and angry parents got involved. Another guy was extradited by British police for outstanding child molestation charges in the UK. Really when a middle aged teacher always takes a camera into the classroom, some other sad git starts 'meeting' 14 year old girls at the school every Saturday, or as happened the other day old western guy teaching here buys 40 teddy bears for his class of 16 year old girls, I sigh, and think- here we go again.

Students do sometimes complain though, a few years ago at an English camp at the beach, 15 years old students complained that 60 year old western teacher was 'hugging' them under[the cover of] the water. That was the end of him.

They should try draconian penalties instead of providing training, handbooks and a slap on the wrist instead of accepting all misconducts as part of their culture, the way they define corruption.

exactely.

The council has scheduled to organise a training programme designed to remind teachers of the obligations to remain virtuous and to uphold the integrity of their profession.

So it's not just western countries that come up with these moronic money-wasting ideas.

If you have to be "reminded" that sexually violating your students is inappropriate, then a "training program" isn't going to stop you.

yes, heavy hand, crash them......But of course there must be a protection against abuse. Not that every female student can pressure the teacher with some lies.

• Like 1

Thailand spends more money per child for education than any country on Earth. They spend very little of that on basic infrastructure and teacher development and training.

Really ... you have a link to show it ?

That is what the Thai Education department claimed a few months ago (to outraged guffaws of disbelief on this forum). I do not have the link but it was big news at the time. Ah, good. Someone found the link.

Edited by The Deerhunter

Thailand spends more money per child for education than any country on Earth. They spend very little of that on basic infrastructure and teacher development and training.

I don't believe you. Did you compare with f.i. Sweden?

So the article says there were five cases of teachers having their licenses revoked or suspended.

What it DOESN'T say, tellingly, is the total NUMBER/VOLUME of complaints that were filed against teachers for all the various listed offenses that led to those 5 disciplinary actions.

That ratio would begin to tell you just how seriously (or not) the education authorities here are dealing with teacher misconduct.

arresting those that actually do these things would be a start, they have committed a crime yet they are still allowed to teach, what a joke this country is at times. If they actually enforced the countries laws they would nip this in the bud but then that would cause too much loss of face for the poor teachers. They need to outlaw the physical abuse that is rife in the schools and perpetrated by the teachers that think they are able to do as they please. only when the teaching profession is held to account will it stop. Way past time for the govt to start to enforce the law on these cretins.

Agreed. The School Administration gains knowledge of these crimes and does not contact the police and even perhaps the parents. The parents perhaps gain knowledge of these crimes and do not act accordingly towards the offender, or contact the police. The news spreads like wildfire before anyone can act, and in a matter of a very short time the victim holds her or his head in shame within her or his peer group. The Law and legal representatives out there do nothing to encourage students to report to them. Tourists have new hotline numbers to call, yet children and young teens as students have nothing. They can get condoms, and advice on how to have sex, but not representation for grievances against their person.

Thailand Penal Code (Thai laws specifying crimes and punishment)

TITLE IX: OFFENCE RELATING TO SEXUALITY

I can only imagine the sick, greedy, twisted and superstitious mental barriers which refrain all the above parties from acting like civilized human beings, and when I even begin to endeavor to conjure up some kind of emotion or rationale thought, the mere effort makes me seethe with anger, disgust and revolt.

Smack my kid, molest my kid, threaten my kid and I swear there will be Hell to pay. I know this sounds grandiose, but I am confident that any father or mother out there who loves their children as much as I love mine will understand this quite succinctly.

Again... another problem in Thailand with absolutely NO mention of dad and mom.

Lunatics all!

On another note:

I understand that there are cases in which the students try their hand at baiting and tempting to get things they want, but that is what kids do. Were adults to set an example and enforce a standard, these little brats would shape up pronto. Entertaining their sordid behavior by dancing around them and cooing at them, or giving in and having a go at them is wrong on so many levels. Discipline them so fast that their little heads spin. By discipline, I mean: A] Teacher pushes the problem child back one step to administration. Send them to the administration that let them into the school in the first place. B] The administration should then contact the parents, who brought the little brats to the school in the first place. C] Hold a conference. D] If that doesn't work, expel them.

Nah... I didn't think so. One must have morals and ethics to be able to rise to that challenge.

Again... merely some heartfelt views on this.

Banned from the teachers' profession for molesting a student. How quaint. How about slitting his bag, running a leg through it and pushing him over backward before shooting him?

As a father, the thought enters my mind. The greatest thing I can do for my child is to make myself very apparent to his guardians (teachers and school administrators in this case), and to let them know that I am a loving, involved and very watchful father towards my child's welfare, behavior, education and well-being. Kind of like the man or woman who locks their car and puts a lock on the steering wheel and such. Any sordid thief (the coward) is going to pass by that car without a second look and go for the easy prey... the car that people do not protect and make apparent that it is worth the effort or risk compared to my car.

My point: Parents should compete with each other to demonstrate to the school how valued their children's safety and education is, or the children will be pulled pronto. See how fast schools shape up.

The utter lack of parent protests against crimes in these institutions, and the utter lack of productivity, is an extremely frightening and regrettable statement on the mental health of this society. The reason I say this is because I seriously wonder how one who produces a child can simply ignore the many negative probabilities that this society can bring against said child, and when it does happen, we hear nothing about it.

I wonder, are they really so easily seduced by the thought of monetary compensation when their children are abused? Are they so lacking in principles that they have no thought of making right, that which has been done to one of their children... at any cost, if the system fails to act accordingly as the law states?

WIthout people in it, a structure is nothing more than concrete, wood and a roof. The kind of people who inhabit that building is how I determine the manner in which I will label that building. Universities and schools they certainly are not... more like glorified day cares, social hangouts and whatever else one can come up with, as long as it does not meet the standards of a school or university as which most intelligent people understand.

Again, my extremely critical opinion. Apologies if I have offended anyone not deserving of such.

Edited by cup-O-coffee