Issues With My Wireless

sbk

OK, I have a wireless access point (which I have been unable to access to modify btw). Last week a friend of mine came with his laptop, accessed it no problem, two days later it was assigning the wrong IP address (ie searching for the IP, can't find, gives it some number). While I could access it just fine with my laptop. He updated some hardware drivers from Windows update and it worked.

Now, I can't access the wireless access point and Windows update does not tell me I need new drivers or anything in the hardware section at all. I have not changed a thing. Don't even think I have done any new updates in that time.

WAP is D-Link DWL-G700AP. Router/modem it is plugged into is a surecom.

Any suggestions?

Acer laptop Aspire 3004WLCi, Winxp sp2.

I tried that, it says page cannot be displayed.

The front of the book says I will need to assing my computer a static IP address for the purpose of configuring it, not sure how to do that, shouldn't it be done already with the modem/router I already have?

Anyway, the main issue isn't making it secure at this point,it is getting my laptop to even access it. (Which it did a couple of days ago). Is this some Windows update hotfix issue?

I tried that, it says page cannot be displayed.

The front of the book says I will need to assing my computer a static IP address for the purpose of configuring it, not sure how to do that, shouldn't it be done already with the modem/router I already have?

Anyway, the main issue isn't making it secure at this point,it is getting my laptop to even access it. (Which it did a couple of days ago). Is this some Windows update hotfix issue?

Is it perhaps a Ip conflict ? Than you need to do the IP config.

rcm :o

Whats an IP config?

Also, how could it work one day and not the next? (which is why I am suspicious of some windows hotfix)

Ok, i had this problem as i had a few machines on the same Wireless network and only one would work at a time...so here is how the IP config is done(but i am not sure if this solves your problem)

Make sure you have the Wireless enabled from Control Panel than

Start>run>cmd>IPconfig/renew

Nope, Limited or no connectivity and comes up with this IP address:

Ok, did a search for hotfix and wireless and came up with this:

The document is specific to the wireless problem in windows xp where the user loses the wireless connection after running windows update ( and not installing the service pack ) in his machine.

This happens because of the installation of a recommended hotfix (815485) from microsoft from XP. This hotfix is a part of an optional but recommended windows xp update which adds WPA support to the wireless card drivers.

The indication of this problem can be like this,

1. After the wireless card is enabled and connected to the AP it will not get an IP address nor will it be able to ping to the AP. The wireless connection properties will say that it is connected with good signal strength, it will also send packets but not receive any packets back.

2. The Wireless status will say "One or more wireless networks available" when the user tries to connect , it will not connect , but it will continue to say "One or more wireless networks available". Whatever the user does will not help himto connect to the AP.

The solution is on this page for the rest of you.

Now it says I can uninstall the hotfix or enable encryption in my access point, but since I can't get into my access point (without some help) I am thinking of just uninstalling the hotfix.

Nope, Limited or no connectivity and comes up with this IP address:

Ok, did a search for hotfix and wireless and came up with this:

The document is specific to the wireless problem in windows xp where the user loses the wireless connection after running windows update ( and not installing the service pack ) in his machine.

This happens because of the installation of a recommended hotfix (815485) from microsoft from XP. This hotfix is a part of an optional but recommended windows xp update which adds WPA support to the wireless card drivers.

The indication of this problem can be like this,

1. After the wireless card is enabled and connected to the AP it will not get an IP address nor will it be able to ping to the AP. The wireless connection properties will say that it is connected with good signal strength, it will also send packets but not receive any packets back.

2. The Wireless status will say "One or more wireless networks available" when the user tries to connect , it will not connect , but it will continue to say "One or more wireless networks available". Whatever the user does will not help himto connect to the AP.

The solution is on this page for the rest of you.

Now it says I can uninstall the hotfix or enable encryption in my access point, but since I can't get into my access point (without some help) I am thinking of just uninstalling the hotfix.

I would also uninstall the hotfix....

OK, the hotfix is not listed on my computer. Now what? It must be there because it is causing this exact problem. But how do I get rid of what I can't see?

When in the window "add/remove programs" did you have the small box on top ticked which says "show updates"? Maybe it just didn't show because of this?

OK, the hotfix is not listed on my computer. Now what? It must be there because it is causing this exact problem. But how do I get rid of what I can't see?

When in the window "add/remove programs" did you have the small box on top ticked which says "show updates"? Maybe it just didn't show because of this?

Its not in the list! AAGH! post-4641-1156759235.gif

OK, this is with the wireless turned on and connected: limited or no connectivity

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600]

© Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Me>IPconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : me

Primary Dns Suffix . . . . . . . :

Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown

IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : SiS 900-Based PCI Fast Ethernet Adap

ter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-36-2F-46-94

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.6

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.0.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 10.0.0.2

Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, August 29, 2006 10:26:19 AM

Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : Tuesday, January 19, 2038 10:14:07 A

M

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcom 802.11g Network Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-16-CE-33-47-6B

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.131.57

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :

C:\Documents and Settings\Me>

First, do this:

1. Find and fire up a Command (DOS) prompt (start menu / accessories)

2. Type “ipconfig /all”

3. Copy and paste the output into this thread

Ace

I had a similar problem a couple of weeks ago...

All I did was to find out how to restore your wireless router to factory settings. Once you have done this, then follow the original instructions (ie set the wireless router up in the way you would if you had just bought it)

Seemed to work for me...

That was going to be my last resort, but I am going to do it, pre-windows update. How much you wanna bet it works again?

Microsoft "critical updates" gotta love em. I thought I was having problems on my pc because it wasn't using a licensed winxp. But, my laptop does and there are still problems!

I thought I was having problems on my pc because it wasn't using a licensed winxp. But, my laptop does and there are still problems!

Maybe your Laptop would work with an unlicensed Version of winxp.... :o

Would I be right in saying you have your PC attached to your wireless AP by a physical ethernet cable?

Also, open the DOS box again and try and ping the d/gateway ("ping 10.0.0.2"). If that works, fire up a web browser and type 10.0.0.2 in the address bar - should log you on to the AP.

If none of that works, try and disconnect the ethernet cable, reopen DOS prompt, type "ipconfig /release" then "ipconfig /renew" then try it.

Let us know how it goes!

I'd probably turn off everything, ADSL Modem/Router/WAP/PC. Restart the ADSL Modem, then Router, then WAP then PC.

In Start/RUN/CMD I'd try to release and renew all adapters, IPCONFIG /RELEASE, then IPCONFIG /RENEW

Then I might take the WAP out of the network and make sure I can connect directly to the ADSL Modem/Router and the Internet.

Then I might re-insert the WAP into the network.

The default IP Address for the WAP is 192.168.0.50, which is what you would type into the address bar of a browser to access the management interface for your WAP.

You can connect a PC directly to the WAP using an ethernet cable. This will allow you to access the management interface if all else fails.

It's not clear if your friend somehow made changes to your WAP. Did you have any security precautions enabled on the WAP (WEP/WPA)? Can you see your WAP (task bar, bottom right, right-click on the wireless icon and view all wireless networks), is it broadcasting the SSID?

Personally I would not modify any software on a PC, except possibly to add WPA support, if it's not already installed.

And you can modify Windows Automatic Updates to allow for review prior to downloading and/or installation.

No, I didn't change anything, it just stopped working. System restore didn't fix it. I've tried plugging the ethernet from the WAP into the computer and it couldn't find the ip address given to me by the instruction book :o

Connecting directly to the modem/router by ethernet has been no problem at all.

I've used the Services section before, turning off and turning on the DNS client, that hasn't helped.

I'll give the other ideas a shot and let you know. I just cannot figure out why it doesn't work anymore when I haven't changed a thing!